U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 PM

281 posts, read 163,673 times

Advertisements

"American Experience" just did a history docu on the first subway, in Boston.

A lot of the same sorts of controversies and end-of-days complaints from merchants way back then.

I predict people will embrace it when the mess is cleaned up, IF there is ample security and the cars are kept clean.

Don't think the Metro in L.A. did much to cut traffic, but it is a great option for people who previously suffered on the buses. We used it a lot to go downtown for games and concerts. A lot of tourists use it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 PM

3,845 posts, read 4,786,442 times
Spending a lot of money and creating a lot of disruption for a souped up version of what we already have on Central isn't going to magically eliminate the riders who engage in anti-social behaviors, thereby turning off other potential riders.

There are already threads on this topic, however. You could try using the search to find them to see more in-depth comments that have been made previously.

What is NMRX?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 PM

60 posts, read 56,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Spending a lot of money and creating a lot of disruption for a souped up version of what we already have on Central isn't going to magically eliminate the riders who engage in anti-social behaviors, thereby turning off other potential riders.

There are already threads on this topic, however. You could try using the search to find them to see more in-depth comments that have been made previously.

What is NMRX?
The rail runner. I should have been more clear, the nearest rail runner station to where I live is a 10-15 minute drive away (would take far too long to walk there), then I have to make sure I go to Downtown ABQ at train route times that coincide when I need to be at UNM. It's definitely not something I can do every time I go there. It's REALLY not feasible if I know I'll be getting home later at night as you're screwed if you miss the last train North (did that once and had to get a cab home....cost about $75)

Driving is a minimum hour trip and then parking is a pain in the butt unless you want to spend $1.45 and hour to park at Cornell (been there done that), park at that s***box of a parking lot "South lot" (been there done that), or park somewhere in Nob Hill and walk a good distance (been there, done that too!) to campus.

Sorry, sounds like I'm really complaining. It's not all bad, really. Just wish I had some more viable options other than always driving.

Last edited by RioGrandeFeline; 03-01-2017 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM

277 posts, read 613,486 times
I don't mind a bit of mess in efforts to have good public transportation - I just don't think they chose the right form of public transportation and was honestly hoping for something a little more modern. Also was hoping that it was a little more far reaching than just down Central. Not upset about construction, just the overall planning and thinking.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM

3,685 posts, read 5,347,865 times
The "hate" for ART is entirely political. It's part of the anti-Berry campaign, those who oppose his possible future campaign for Governor. The project has become widely unpopular in the car-dependent Albuquerque population which thirsts only for more parking lots and more traffic lanes. So those who wish to derail Berry's future political aspirations want to hang ART's unpopularity around his neck. "Don't vote for him, he's the one that ruined our precious car culture along Route 66."

Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 AM

3,685 posts, read 5,347,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
I don't mind a bit of mess in efforts to have good public transportation - I just don't think they chose the right form of public transportation and was honestly hoping for something a little more modern. Also was hoping that it was a little more far reaching than just down Central. Not upset about construction, just the overall planning and thinking.
This is just the beginning of a larger plan. The Central Ave line is the backbone, then there are three more routes planned that will all intersect and have more coverage.

What would you consider "more modern"?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 PM

26,461 posts, read 44,510,973 times
From: https://www.cabq.gov/transit/news/al...electric-buses

The Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART) project will purchase battery-electric buses. The America’s first 60-foot articulated battery-electric transit buses will provide an eco-friendly, high efficiency, long-lasting bus with increased reliability and simplified maintenance. These top of the line buses will also provide a 50% savings on monthly energy and maintenance costs. “The selection of electric buses makes the ART project an even more sustainable project for Albuquerque’s future. ”ART will not only have a lasting positive impact on improving transit options in Albuquerque, but with the selection of electric buses, it will also increase environmental efficiency and cost savings.”

When compared to diesel options, the electric buses are shown to provide significant long term cost savings. Cost comparison shows operating a fleet of 18 diesel buses for a year would cost approximately $4.6 million annually, whereas electric buses would cost $1million. Additionally, operational costs for a diesel fleet over the span of 12 years is approximately $56 million, compared to $12 million for a fleet of electric buses.

Cost savings are only one facet of the benefits of electric buses. Selecting electric buses also improves the health quality for Albuquerque residents. Exhaust from diesel buses includes pollutants and emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, whereas electric buses provide clean energy, which reduces the City’s carbon footprint.

More info:

https://www.abqjournal.com/806990/el...d-for-art.html
City to use electric buses for rapid transit
By Dan McKay / Journal Staff Writer
Updated: Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 at 11:43pm

Old 03-01-2017, 03:32 PM

967 posts, read 993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The "hate" for ART is entirely political. It's part of the anti-Berry campaign, those who oppose his possible future campaign for Governor. The project has become widely unpopular in the car-dependent Albuquerque population which thirsts only for more parking lots and more traffic lanes. So those who wish to derail Berry's future political aspirations want to hang ART's unpopularity around his neck. "Don't vote for him, he's the one that ruined our precious car culture along Route 66."
I certainly don't think that's all it is. Sure, there are some really unhinged folks who are quick to wave the bloody shirt about how Berry is "destroying historical Route 66." (As if Route 66 through much of Albuquerque was in any kind of great shape to begin with, or the remaining historically significant properties in any danger of being impacted by a project in the middle of the street...ironically, I've heard this line from the very same former City Councilor and Public Safety Chief who was personally responsible for bulldozing numerous historic Route 66 motels as "nuisances" back in the Marty Chavez era).

I also agree that the impacts along most of Central have been pretty moderate, amounting to no more than a minor inconvenience. That said, though, there are places where that's definitely not the case..the area around Central and Rio Grande is currently a big mess that takes minimally 4 or 5 times as much time to drive through as it used to, with normal business access cut off all over the place. And that interesection's right at the heart of many of Albuquerque's tourist attractions and tourist-oriented businesses...if I owned a store or restaurant in Old Town or the up-and-coming West Downtown or Sawmill neighborhoods, I imagine I'd be pretty pissed off about it. To make matters worse, the city has chosen to bundle ART with numerous deferred-maintenance projects all along Central: utility replacements, major intersection realignments, bike improvements, etc. I've also read in several places that a number of the city's major initiatives to help business owners get through construction, such as a much-publicized forgivable loan program, have failed to materialize.

I don't disagree that a fair chunk of the anti-ART crowd are either people who hate Berry or folks who are against mass transit or anything that inconveniences cars on prinicple. Many of these folks missed an opportunity to comment meaningfully on the project during the planning stages because they weren't paying attention, and then got so worked up with knee-jerk opposition that any remaining chance they had to influence the way the project was implemented went out the window. By the same token, however, the City did a bad job of publicizing the project right up to the 11th hour, failed to supply a lot of information that might have soothed nerves until it was too late, and made a number of questionable decisions that have aggravated the impact of construction and created the impression that they don't know what they're doing. Remember, this is all happening on credit in anticipation of federal funding that still hasn't come through...the project's proponents say it would be "extraordinary" for Congress not to approve it, but after the last year is that any kind of assurance?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:15 PM

60 posts, read 56,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
I certainly don't think that's all it is. Sure, there are some really unhinged folks who are quick to wave the bloody shirt about how Berry is "destroying historical Route 66." (As if Route 66 through much of Albuquerque was in any kind of great shape to begin with, or the remaining historically significant properties in any danger of being impacted by a project in the middle of the street...ironically, I've heard this line from the very same former City Councilor and Public Safety Chief who was personally responsible for bulldozing numerous historic Route 66 motels as "nuisances" back in the Marty Chavez era).

I also agree that the impacts along most of Central have been pretty moderate, amounting to no more than a minor inconvenience. That said, though, there are places where that's definitely not the case..the area around Central and Rio Grande is currently a big mess that takes minimally 4 or 5 times as much time to drive through as it used to, with normal business access cut off all over the place. And that interesection's right at the heart of many of Albuquerque's tourist attractions and tourist-oriented businesses...if I owned a store or restaurant in Old Town or the up-and-coming West Downtown or Sawmill neighborhoods, I imagine I'd be pretty pissed off about it. To make matters worse, the city has chosen to bundle ART with numerous deferred-maintenance projects all along Central: utility replacements, major intersection realignments, bike improvements, etc. I've also read in several places that a number of the city's major initiatives to help business owners get through construction, such as a much-publicized forgivable loan program, have failed to materialize.

I don't disagree that a fair chunk of the anti-ART crowd are either people who hate Berry or folks who are against mass transit or anything that inconveniences cars on prinicple. Many of these folks missed an opportunity to comment meaningfully on the project during the planning stages because they weren't paying attention, and then got so worked up with knee-jerk opposition that any remaining chance they had to influence the way the project was implemented went out the window. By the same token, however, the City did a bad job of publicizing the project right up to the 11th hour, failed to supply a lot of information that might have soothed nerves until it was too late, and made a number of questionable decisions that have aggravated the impact of construction and created the impression that they don't know what they're doing. Remember, this is all happening on credit in anticipation of federal funding that still hasn't come through...the project's proponents say it would be "extraordinary" for Congress not to approve it, but after the last year is that any kind of assurance?
Hopefully Trump doesn't have an axe to grind with Albuquerque after how poorly he was received here. Also we voted overwhelmingly for Hillary (badge of honour if you ask me...)

Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM

3,845 posts, read 4,786,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioGrandeFeline View Post
Hopefully Trump doesn't have an axe to grind with Albuquerque after how poorly he was received here. Also we voted overwhelmingly for Hillary (badge of honour if you ask me...)
A disgrace if you ask me (relatively recently ex-liberal).

But I suspect that ART will fit in with Trump's talk of pushing for infrastructure projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or