Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,437 times

Advertisements

Any general guidelines on navigating the city of ABQ?

My plan is simple. Get my butt down to ABQ, live in temporary housing (extended stay hotel) until I secure job, then find better housing.

I have a solid blue collar background, ample savings (30K), a bachelors degree in business administration, and a love for the outdoors and desert heat.

Long story short. My last job what I thought was my career, got really old, my attitude soured after 8 years, the paycheck was great, but everything else about it sucked. I'm ready for a fresh break and will take an entry level blue collar job as my life is rather simplistic and I have no problem working my way up in a company. I've always been praised as a very productive employee. I won't make as much as I made at my past job, but I'm willing to sacrifice making less to live in an environment for conducive to my personal and professional success and growth.

My brother lived in N.M. for 8 years and loved it, I come from the Midwest, he feels the more laid back environment and friendly people will be a great fit.

I just hope I can make strong social connections and rebuild a social network and my career in a new city, I'm excited and anxious at the same time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:59 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronShoo2 View Post
Any general guidelines on navigating the city of ABQ?
Congratulations! Sounds like you have a good plan. I hope you like the desert cold as well as the "desert heat."

If you have any more specific questions than "any general guidelines?" it would make it easier to help you.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:13 PM

201 posts, read 292,459 times
Hey, and welcome aboard! I'm a recent transplant here myself, and absolutely love the area for 3 main points: Friendly people, good food, and amazing outdoor scenery. I hope you're aware that the job sector might be a bit more difficult here then where you come from, which is why moving here without a job lined up can be a bit tricky. If you do find a job within a reasonable time frame, you should be quite happy here. The fact that you're already accepting of a pay cut, should start you off in a pretty optimistic position!

As far as making your way around ABQ (transportation wise), be sure to own a car, or buy one. This city/area is very spread out, and you'll really have a hard time without a personal vehicle. That's my two cents, but let us know if you have any additional Q's that come to mind .

Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,984,728 times
Best of luck in your move to Albuquerque.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,400,658 times
30k is a good cushion. You ought to be able to find something before that runs out, but don't be surprised if it shrinks quite a bit and your new job is not pay enough to replenish it quickly. New Mexico is not called the Land of Entrapment for nothing.

That said, Albuquerque has a lot to offer lifestylewise. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 AM

16,124 posts, read 10,801,858 times
I stayed at the Suburban extended stay on Wellesley near Carlisle and Menaul -- cheap but adequate and walking distance to some restaurants and even Walmart. Rates seemed to vary based on how long a stay or the season. Had kitchenettes and a laundry and was okay for a while. Green Jeans Farmery is across the street now (not then) for an occasional hang-out spot...don't spend too much. I do see "Help Wanted" signs around town so you might find something to stop using your savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: