U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:28 PM

136 posts, read 98,877 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is any animosity but Rio Rancho is it's own city with a different look and feel just happens to be located next to ABQ. It is also in a different county. I short study on the history of RR might explain this.

RR is a very new city and in the beginning was just a housing community near ABQ. Rio Rancho wants to be its own city and because it is so new--I think there is a lot of emphasis to get that point across. When I cross the border between ABQ and RR the difference is obvious and deliberately so.

Also Rio Rancho is the 3rd largest city in the state--so it is not really a bedroom community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 03:25 AM

9 posts, read 9,231 times
Perhaps the response you encountered might have something to do with the fact that, unlike most major cities in the US, the post-WWII building boom/sprawl in Albuquerque took place largely within (or was absorbed by) the city limits. That makes Rio Rancho distinctive in being *the* suburb (or almost *the* suburb, if you want to count Bernalillo, Los Lunas, and maybe a few other communities). I'm just offering this as a suggestion, since I am at this point merely a hopefully near-future Burqueña (although progress is being made on that front, which I'll post about soon, I hope. Fingers crossed.)

In Cincinnati, where I lived for many years, all suburban addresses in the same county (Hamilton County) and inside the I-275 beltway have Cincinnati mailing addresses. Pretty much everyone who lives in these suburbs says they're from Cincinnati, even though they live in Blue Ash or Evendale or whatever.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 AM

9 posts, read 9,231 times
typical_guinea_pig, I share your enthusiasm for un-updated midcentury houses.

Moderator cut: invalid url

If your agent was sensitive to your needs and your aesthetic preferences, maybe his/her recommendation to avoid Rio Rancho might have been due to something other than mere prejudice. Development in RR didn't really get going until the '70s. Many RR houses built between then and the mid- 90s have polybutylene pipes, which eventually fail and cause expensive water damage. As a consequence of a class action lawsuit against AMREP, the major developer in Rio Rancho in the '70s and '80s, homeowners were given the opportunity to replace the defective pipes, but many homeowners did not take advantage of the settlement terms, so there are still many homes with polybutylene pipes in RR (and also in homes built on the west side of Abq during the same period--many developers installed them, not just AMREP). You can read about it in this thread, which has some helpful links as well: Guidance Needed re Rio Rancho

I hope you've found happiness in your midcentury house in Four Hills!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-10-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr_xli View Post
Perhaps the response you encountered might have something to do with the fact that, unlike most major cities in the US, the post-WWII building boom/sprawl in Albuquerque took place largely within (or was absorbed by) the city limits. That makes Rio Rancho distinctive in being *the* suburb (or almost *the* suburb, if you want to count Bernalillo, Los Lunas, and maybe a few other communities). I'm just offering this as a suggestion, since I am at this point merely a hopefully near-future Burqueña (although progress is being made on that front, which I'll post about soon, I hope. Fingers crossed.)

In Cincinnati, where I lived for many years, all suburban addresses in the same county (Hamilton County) and inside the I-275 beltway have Cincinnati mailing addresses. Pretty much everyone who lives in these suburbs says they're from Cincinnati, even though they live in Blue Ash or Evendale or whatever.
ABQ was not a hub city 70 years ago, unlike eastern cities. ABQ was as big as the town of Bernalillo was in the early 20th century.

Rio Rancho started as a land speculation on remote (for its time) land NW of ABQ. There were many of these at the time (the 60s). Rio West and the Deming Ranchettes come to mind.

Then Intel decided to build their plant just on the other side of the county line (Sandoval instead of Bernalillo). This caused RR to boom and become a city. There was and still is a huge amount of growth in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. RR is located in a different county and wanted to be its own city and not viewed as a housing development of ABQ. Of course a large number of people commute to ABQ from RR. So RR went from nothing to 3rd largest city in NM in about 30-40 years, literally. RR is a very young city experiencing growing pains.

A lot of eastern cities started with a very old central city hub and then later have suburbs grow around them, usually driven by the increase in car ownership.

I hope that somewhat helps explain the situation. The situation here in NM is a little more complicated.
This is my best guess and I welcome other people's opinion on the matter.

Last edited by jackbus; 08-10-2017 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
An interesting subject because when I was looking for a house here, my realtor kept saying, flatly, "You don't want to live in Rio Rancho." I looked there anyway, and I liked some areas a lot, because I like un-updated mid century houses and Rio Rancho had lots of them. In the end I bought in Four Hills just because I was looking at another ABQ area on Zillow and my particular house just happened to show up as "nearby listings" and I loved the house and property. But with my very limited experience of Rio Rancho I don't understand why it's considered so separate. I came to ABQ from Eden Prairie in MN and when people asked me where I lived, I say "Twin Cities metro area" which is what I guess I consider Rio Rancho, like an ABQ metro area, which I'm now realizing might be vaguely offensive to some people, oops, so, good to know!
I think the only thing offensive here is your relator's attitude.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I have always found it very odd that Rio Ranchoans often are very quick to point out that they live in Rio Rancho, not Albuquerque. I know I once gave a business presentation and talked about being "in the Albuquerque area" and afterwards, I was politely but sternly advised that I was in RIO RANCHO, not "the Albuquerque area."

And in fairness, while I wouldn't say its as pronounced, a lot of Albuquerqueans act like Rio Rancho is Jupiter or something.

This isn't a big deal or anything, its more just an odd idiosyncrasy that I have noted and for a long time been confused about but didn't stop to ask either.

I mean, in the Denver area, there are tons of suburbs (Aurora, Littleton, etc.) but if you ask one of them where they are from, often they'll just say Denver.

Here in metro Milwaukee, I haven't lived in the city of Milwaukee itself since I was in my 20s but to someone out of town or out of state, I will tell them I live in Milwaukee.

Chicagoland is like this as well, henceforth the moniker "Chicagoland." The Twin Cities? There are more than two, but you wouldn't know it generally when talking to folks from the area. Hell, there are New York City football teams that I believe still play their games IN ANOTHER FREAKING STATE (New Jersey)!!!

So I would be curious to know if others have observed this trend as well, and if so, the rationale for why it exists in Albuquerque Metro in a way that it does not exist in most other big markets.

Well two things come to mind: Rio Rancho is the 3rd largest city in NM surpassing the ancient capital of Santa Fe years ago. Also, it is very young. It wasn't officially a city until 1981. It is trying hard to make a name for itself and stand on its own. So because of its age it probably has to make a point that it is its own city.

The census bureau considers the Albuquerque MSA to be Bernalillo County, Sandoval County and Valencia County and strangely Torrence county.

I don't know if this helps or is more confusing?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Reminds me of folks who hesitate when mentioning they're "from" Las Vegas - NM, not NV!
It's funny because whenever I have talked to someone in ABQ or especially Santa Fe. I have to explicitly say "Las Vegas NM" or "Las Vegas NV". Honestly I can't imagine that happening anywhere except New Mexico.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 AM

326 posts, read 429,292 times
I was talking to a local mortgage lender the other day and mentioned that I was looking at some new homes in Rio Rancho.

The lender said "If you get a home in Rio Rancho you will have a hard time selling it down the road."

Is this true?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:03 AM

3,690 posts, read 8,136,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I was talking to a local mortgage lender the other day and mentioned that I was looking at some new homes in Rio Rancho.

The lender said "If you get a home in Rio Rancho you will have a hard time selling it down the road."

Is this true?
That's a bit of a blanket statement. Here are some things that could make it true:

*The entire metro area has been hit in an economic downturn, the likes of which I've never seen in my lifetime. People aren't suffering like they were in the nasty recessions of the 70's and 80's, but many of our best and brightest are leaving the state. This translates to the entire metro area being challenged in terms of housing demand. It's not so much choosing Rio Rancho that would make it hard, but rather the entire city facing this problem.

*Rio Rancho's economy is still underpinned largely by those Intel fabs, and Intel's been giving mixed signals, and particularly concerning ones, about a fab shutdown, which would kill the vast majority of the economic base of the suburb. The housing market to a large extent already reflects this.

*RR homes are harder for real estate agents to resell for some reason, and they sell for less per square foot than Albuquerque homes, on average. What possible reason would a self-interested lender have for not steering you away from them?

*Homes are not traditionally like cars, but in this case, they may be more alike than you realize. If you buy a used home out in RR, it won't depreciate very much, because used homes are still very much in demand. If you buy a new home, it will be by definition used if you try to sell it, and people like new homes more than used ones, particularly out in RR.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 AM

26,530 posts, read 45,239,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post

Is this true?
No... Go find someone who knows the business... The whole area, Rio Rancho and ABQ had a slump a few years ago. Recent sales, time on market was ABQ, followed by Rio Rancho, and I forgot the next two cities (maybe Los Lunas and Edgewood) In my immediate area, recently, homes seem to be sold in less than 90 days (with a few exceptions when overpriced).

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-10-2017 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque