U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2017, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
6,176 posts, read 9,232,335 times
Reputation: 3588

Advertisements

Considering how rapidly Amazon has been building its fulfillment center network, I was wondering, does anyone think Amazon could eventually build a fulfillment center in Albuquerque or Rio Rancho in the future? It seems like it would be an ideal location to serve the needs of Amazon customers in New Mexico.

Right now Albuquerque is mostly dependent on the fulfillment centers in Phoenix for Amazon orders, with some orders coming from Fort Worth and other fulfillment centers. A new fulfillment center has recently opened in Aurora, Colorado as well, so you may start seeing some orders coming from there as well.

With an Amazon fulfillment center in Albuquerque, that can potentially enable Free Same-Day or One-Day delivery to addresses in New Mexico to Prime customers.

What does anyone here think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
1,841 posts, read 2,883,460 times
Reputation: 1219
That sounds like a crackerjack idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM
 
24 posts, read 15,749 times
Reputation: 35
I just submitted a suggestion to Amazon to place some Amazon Lockers in Abq. There isn't a single one yet? Pretty surprised for the size of the population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,429 posts, read 9,383,489 times
Reputation: 4151
If my experience with ABQ businesses and residents over the last 10 years is anything to go by, I doubt ABQ is in the running any time soon for a fulfilment center. There's a LARGE part of the population here that doesn't really use the internet. Or technology.

*sigh*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
6,176 posts, read 9,232,335 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
If my experience with ABQ businesses and residents over the last 10 years is anything to go by, I doubt ABQ is in the running any time soon for a fulfilment center. There's a LARGE part of the population here that doesn't really use the internet. Or technology.

*sigh*
I wonder how many Prime members are there in New Mexico. I do know that the Amazon Sortation Center in Phoenix has a significant amount of packages that go to Albuquerque to feed into local post offices for final delivery by the USPS for Prime members in the area. This also enables Sunday delivery, which other than Amazon's own delivery service Amazon Logistics (which is not currently available in Albuquerque), the USPS is the exclusive partner. It appears that Amazon offers Sunday delivery in Albuquerque via USPS, so there are probably enough Prime members in the area to support it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM
 
17,057 posts, read 22,367,316 times
Reputation: 50038
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
If my experience with ABQ businesses and residents over the last 10 years is anything to go by, I doubt ABQ is in the running any time soon for a fulfilment center. There's a LARGE part of the population here that doesn't really use the internet. Or technology.

*sigh*
That would explain no warehouse!

Surprisingly, half of my shipments regarding Amazon come out of the Lexington, Kentucky warehouse (I live in western Colo.) According to City Data their population is 310,797. I have a good friend who lives near Omaha that I visit twice a year. Amazon's warehouse is a few miles from him. Their population is 446,970.

Population wise, IMO Albuquerque would be a good fit! BUT if internet is what Yukon says, well.... Unfortunate as I'd love to see the Duke City with one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
6,176 posts, read 9,232,335 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
That would explain no warehouse!

Surprisingly, half of my shipments regarding Amazon come out of the Lexington, Kentucky warehouse (I live in western Colo.) According to City Data their population is 310,797. I have a good friend who lives near Omaha that I visit twice a year. Amazon's warehouse is a few miles from him. Their population is 446,970.

Population wise, IMO Albuquerque would be a good fit! BUT if internet is what Yukon says, well.... Unfortunate as I'd love to see the Duke City with one.
As far as Lexington goes, I do believe that UPS does have a major operation in Lexington (primarily for ground), thus perhaps the Lexington fulfillment center might be strategically located to take advantage of that UPS operation (even though in recent years Amazon has become less dependent on UPS and more on USPS and Amazon Logistics).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Abu Al-Qurq
3,690 posts, read 8,136,046 times
Reputation: 2966
One major barrier to an expansion in NM, the desire to avoid a nexus in the state in order to continue avoiding sales taxes, is gone. Amazon finally collects appropriate sales tax (as applicable) in all 50 states.

We get a lot of our Amazon deliveries from N. Las Vegas. Between that, the huge complex in Phoenix, plus stuff in Denverland, DFW, and San Antonio, there's five major clusters a day's drive away from here. Never say never, but we're a small market, and we're further away from 99% of the population of this country than a different distribution center. Until Amazon gets serious about same-day delivery, it's simply easier to expand where they already have a presence.

Getting enough high-quality low-priced employees to meet the critical mass needs of a distribution center is going to be very difficult. We have the low-price down, but finding 100 low-priced people who can pass a drug test, show up to work on time every day, don't pilfer packages, don't get injured, and don't quit after 3 months, is a major barrier to business expansions here.

Would also not surprise me that half of NM's counties would roll out the red carpet including all sorts of tax incentives just to get the jobs base not looking so pekid. It's not enough to convince Amazon.

Full disclosure- worked for Amazon earlier this year. There are, to my knowledge, zero other people living in NM who work for Amazon. Most states have thousands of Amazon employees. It's kinda eerie, particularly considering Bezos is originally from Albuquerque.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
6,176 posts, read 9,232,335 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
One major barrier to an expansion in NM, the desire to avoid a nexus in the state in order to continue avoiding sales taxes, is gone. Amazon finally collects appropriate sales tax (as applicable) in all 50 states.

We get a lot of our Amazon deliveries from N. Las Vegas. Between that, the huge complex in Phoenix, plus stuff in Denverland, DFW, and San Antonio, there's five major clusters a day's drive away from here. Never say never, but we're a small market, and we're further away from 99% of the population of this country than a different distribution center. Until Amazon gets serious about same-day delivery, it's simply easier to expand where they already have a presence.

Getting enough high-quality low-priced employees to meet the critical mass needs of a distribution center is going to be very difficult. We have the low-price down, but finding 100 low-priced people who can pass a drug test, show up to work on time every day, don't pilfer packages, don't get injured, and don't quit after 3 months, is a major barrier to business expansions here.

Would also not surprise me that half of NM's counties would roll out the red carpet including all sorts of tax incentives just to get the jobs base not looking so pekid. It's not enough to convince Amazon.

Full disclosure- worked for Amazon earlier this year. There are, to my knowledge, zero other people living in NM who work for Amazon. Most states have thousands of Amazon employees. It's kinda eerie, particularly considering Bezos is originally from Albuquerque.
Speaking of Las Vegas, even though there is a fulfillment center there, they do not offer Free Same-Day delivery there; it was discontinued in 2014. However, as of March of this year they took a half step back and added Free One-Day shipping there.

Note that in addition to a fulfillment center, I do believe that to offer Same-Day delivery there also has to be Amazon Logistics delivery stations in the area, which may or may not be integrated with a fulfillment center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
1,663 posts, read 3,245,973 times
Reputation: 1974
Here's an interesting map breaking down Amazon employees by state. Expect the numbers in CO and UT to increase with recently announced fulfillment centers in Thornton, CO and SLC.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/united...t-growing-now/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top