Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 PM

145 posts, read 479,894 times

Advertisements

Some issues transcend the ordinary. For those of us who must have the BEST Reuben there is no “it was fine”. Yes it is Friday night and I am posting. Conclusion, no life.
Tonight I went to a great local bar on Central which is named after a lizard I believe.
Some have said they serve the best Reuben to be had. I heartily disagree. I have been to this establishment on two occasions and had the offending Reuben twice. Tonight I ordered with extra sauerkraut. I received said sandwich and realized the sauerkraut had apparently been cooked to the point of no flavor what so ever other than the slight taste of bacon. The lack of any sauerkraut flavor allowed the preponderance of Russian dressing to completely overwhelm the sandwich. Why must such a simple sandwich be constantly bastardized.

Documentation does exist, including a 1937 menu from the Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln, Nebraska, describing the Reuben as we know it today: corn beef, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese on russian rye with a special dressing.

Is it that hard to make a Reuben? No. It is apparently that hard to make a good one.
So help me out fellow Reuben connoisseurs. Where in ABQ can I get a real Reuben?

Rant done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,561,603 times
My office made reuben's for St Patricks Day, for lunch. They were awesome.

Not that it helps you any. Sorry!

My mission is to find the best Cuban sandwich in town. I'll post when I do.

How cool....an ethnic sandwich discussion thread!

Last edited by yukon; 03-28-2008 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
My office made reuben's for St Patricks Day, for lunch. They were awesome.

Not that it helps you any. Sorry!

My mission is to find the best Cuban sandwich in town. I'll post when I do.

How cool....an ethnic sandwich discussion thread!
Not Cuban guy myself. Have you seen this?

The Rant Pack

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM

I plan on checking out Don Yasmany's first. Since there's a bakery attached, I'm hoping they bake their own authentic Cuban bread. The sandwich doesn't taste the same on a Hoagie roll, KWIM?

Since we're on the topic of sandwiches.....does anyplace still make Monte Cristo's?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 PM

Have you been to this place yet? I've been to several places I've learned about from this website, and the reviews have been right on target.

Gil's Thrilling Web Site

Another comment on Pastrami & Things:

"At Pastrami and Things II, 1520 Deborah Road SE, Rio Rancho, Bunny Alexander put together one of the house specials— The New Yorker. It's stuffed with sliced lean pastrami and corned beef.
"Pastrami is always big. But the Reuben is probably the most popular sandwich and we make ours out of brisket, not round," Alexander said of the comparative cuts of beef.
The business— which also sells meats, cheeses, salads, smoked salmon and blintzes in bulk— also makes subs.
"It's a combination Jewish and Italian deli," said Alexander, who co-owns the store— and the original Pastrami and Things, 11200 Montgomery NE— with her daughter, Lys Alexander."

ABQjournal: Grab-and-Go Sandwiches Available All Over Town

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,901,317 times
What about a national chain like Jason's Deli. I know it is so degrading to get a sandwhich from a national chain, but it might be worth a try. I have heard good things about Jason's Deli.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,994,795 times
I have been going to Gil's Thrilling Web Site for a long time....he covers the entire state! His reviews are entertaining and I keep a whole list of places to try...

Jason's Deli is pretty good for a chain. They might have a decent Reuben.

But Pastrami and Things sound like they might be even better.

Wondering ~~~ Will jghoo call to see if they are still open, and run out to get one of their Reubens to check out even though it is pretty late?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 PM

298 posts, read 1,146,165 times
Have you tried Cafe Cubano in Nob Hill? We tried their cafe con leche today, & it was excellent!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 PM

298 posts, read 1,146,165 times
I'm on an endless, lifelong quest for the best Reuben sandwich.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Yukon,
I go to Gill's Thrilling website all the time. I was he who recommended the lizard bar Reuben. Ya cant please all the people all the time. I wouldnt drive my sick mother to Rio Rancho for help, so I definitely wont go up there for a sandwich (just moved from a traffic mess like rio ranch). Thanks for the tip though if I ever find myself up there i'll give Pastrami and Things a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque