Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times

Advertisements

Now that New Mexico has gone total blue, I think you would be happy .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
South Dakota is best overall for retirement? New Bankrate.com survey thinks so
The thread title is "Liberal Southwest. " South Dakota is neither.

I grew up in the NYC suburbs and lived in New England before relocating to ABQ for a job when I was in my mid-20s. I'm now retired here and have considered moving away just for a change, but I really like it here too much. I'm too used to the culture and climate (I always hated the humidity back East), except I think there is TOO MUCH sun, which for you might not be a problem. Even after all these years here I keep hoping for more clouds, rain, and snow.

But I enjoy the four seasons and the dry weather means that I can always get out to do some outdoor activity year-round. Winter afternoons are pleasant, and even in the hottest part of the summer, the mornings are fantastic, in the 60s and 70s. Even afternoons in the 90s are enjoyable for biking. I was a bike commuter while I was working and if it was 95 when I left work to go home (all uphill) I didn't mind it, it felt good after being in air conditioning all day.

You can go to the mountains to find greener areas and snow in the winter. We don't get much snow in the cities, but there is usually enough snow in the mountains for winter recreation. There is plenty of hiking from easy to advanced, and I never get bored. We have mountains, the river, volcanoes, lots of variety of landscapes. ABQ has lots of dedicated Open Space areas which are great for walking around. Check out the Elena Gallegos Open Space in the foothills area, there is nothing like going for a long walk there on a crisp November morning to revive the spirit. And since you are retired you can do your hiking on weekdays when there aren't many people around. A few days ago I was at Los Poblanos Open Space in the North Valley where there were at least 100 sandhill cranes.

As for the social life for retirees I'm not so sure since I'm hitched and am not a group type person. But there are lots of classes and lectures for seniors offered through Osher at UNM that are very reasonable:
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at UNM Classes | UNM Continuing Education
And also through Oasis:
https://www.oasisnet.org/Albuquerque-NM/Classes

Any large city in the SW (even TX) will be liberal, the rural areas are largely conservative. Southern AZ for me is just too hot, Colorado and northern AZ too cold, Texas too hot and sweaty. If you don't mind that you might also check out San Antonio. But I enjoy visiting all the neighboring states during more pleasant times of the year. I know retirees in Santa Fe who head for southern AZ in the winter to warm up. For me Albuquerque is the "Goldilocks" place, just right and not as extreme as other cities in the region.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The thread title is "Liberal Southwest. " South Dakota is neither.
And you ignored the remainder of the article, which listed New Mexico, //www.city-data.com/forum/53738214-post4.html ...

Old 11-27-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
And you ignored the remainder of the article, which listed New Mexico, //www.city-data.com/forum/53738214-post4.html ...
So on this list since New York ranked 50 and New Mexico ranked 49, do you consider that a good move? Or are you suggesting she look at South Dakota? According to your list it would be a good choice to move anywhere as long as it is not New York? I'm just trying to figure out your reasoning, if there was any.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:47 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
See //www.city-data.com/forum/48338217-post49.html for information on the great services provided by ABQ's Department of Senior Affairs. They operate several senior/multigenerational centers - https://www.cabq.gov/seniors/senior-...tional-centers - with the only cost being a very reasonable annual fee. Center memberships cost $20/year, providing age 50+ seniors access to the senior and multigenerational centers.

Additional fees may be charged for certain classes, activities, and trips. See https://www.cabq.gov/seniors/documen...l-dec-2017.pdf for an example catalog of available senior activities. Unfortunately the example online isn't current, but this is published every 6 months and distributed at that time as an insert in the local newspaper (ABQ Journal).

Old 11-28-2018, 02:23 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Those ranking articles are generally worthless because we experience a place on a personal level, not by somebody's numbers. NM ranked well in cost of living and weather and in the pack for taxes...things that everyone experiences on a daily basis. We ranked poorly on crime and healthcare...things that most people do not deal with on a personal level each day unless they are sick or victimized in some fashion. I've written about the folly of comparing crime stats across state lines before on this and other forums. Even the FBI cautions against it. In my experience, healthcare is as good or better here than many places. The ranking article also ranks 'culture' (37) and 'well being' (26 whatever that is). NM has a unique array of cultural opportunities that only exist here and may not show up on a number-cruncher's radar looking at the big picture. Vermont has the highest culture ranking for some reason.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 16,923 times
Default To all who replied: Thank you!

You people are wonderful! Candid, sincere, thoughtful, and loyal to your personal slices of that pie of enchantment. Thanks very much. I don't mind cold if it's within reason. It's the days of sunshine that count. You average 310 per year. I average 175. And a little snow is fine. Just not 5 or 6 nor'easters and 4 feet of it at a shot. Humidity is not for me, so Texas is out. Southern Arizona's climate sounds a bit hot and "deserty" for me. I love four seasons, and the 5,000+ foot elevation may mean cleaner air up there. I have heard both "Wind" and "Dust" named as the fifth season in NM. It's ok. If it passes, and it's sunny while it's happening, then I'm good. I'll cover my eyes, nose, and mouth while outside if it's extreme for a couple of weeks. "Cowboys" per se are not really something I'm looking for, so having none around is not a deal breaker. It's more the mindset of free spirited humans that I seek. Good info on OLLI and UNM, senior centers, all of that. As for healthcare, I am very healthy so far. I take no prescribed medicine. Most of my complaints are muscular and fixable. I hope I stay that way.

Finally, NO to the Dakotas, NO Arizona, NO Nevada, no anywhere southeastern US, no oceanside, no midwestern city or farmland. There are many factors to consider in what makes a state the "most livable" (or whatever that crazy list was that snuck into the replies, perhaps a covert ad?). The main factor for me is my personal happiness and sense of contentment and wellbeing in a place that meets most of the items on my list. That is MY criteria, and that will determine the places I consider. Money can't buy happiness, and no matter how much money I might save by living in North Dakota, I'd still be living in North Dakota. (Or was it South Dakota?) New Mexico is sounding pretty good right now!

Thanks again to all who replied, even the list guy.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Sunshine View Post
I have heard both "Wind" and "Dust" named as the fifth season in NM. It's ok. If it passes, and it's sunny while it's happening, then I'm good. I'll cover my eyes, nose, and mouth while outside if it's extreme for a couple of weeks.
IMO the "wind season" in NM is, well, overblown in people's minds. There are some areas that are dustier than others. Usually in the built-up parts of the city where you find trees and grass it is not so dusty as in the periphery where there are open fields and undeveloped areas. As a bike commuter for 20+ years there was only one day that was "too windy" for me to ride my three miles to work and back.

You seem to have the right attitude that I think would make you an excellent candidate for enjoying life in New Mexico.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
IMO the "wind season" in NM is, well, overblown in people's minds
In all fairness, NM has felt substantially less windy to me over the past 20 years than growing up. Maybe it's from spending more time indoors, or how the wind can knock you down easier when you weigh 80 pounds vs. 180. Maybe it's windier four feet up than six. Maybe I just stopped noticing.

Then again, could be a cycle, could be climate change.

I think the wind will come back at some point.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:29 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Sunshine View Post
"Cowboys" per se are not really something I'm looking for, so having none around is not a deal breaker.
You will see a cowboy or two around there and there. But what you are getting are real cowboys and fewer of the drugstore or hell raising redneck types who masquerade as cowboys. But there is still a ranching/cowboy culture in New Mexico with rodeos, western store, bars, and BBQ as a component of the over all culture. And you get the Spanish/Mexican ranching culture that has eons of tradition in New Mexico as well.

The thing about it is if you don't want that you will hardly notice it. If a person does want that they can still be pretty immersed in it. Just have to put up with all the non cowboys around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque