Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 08:28 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times

Advertisements

I have periodically read about the city's rape kit backlog, but I guess it's never registered with me just how bad it is. How do you let rape kits sit around for over a decade? What kind of message does that send about how seriously law enforcement takes this crime?

Quote:
In early April 1997, a 17-year-old girl said she was raped by an acquaintance at a party near the University of New Mexico. She said he pushed her to the ground in an alley and told her to be quiet or he would kill her.

Almost seven years later, about 1,000 miles away in Mountain View, California, a 42-year-old woman said she was sleeping in a motel when a stranger broke in, held her down and sexually assaulted her for about half an hour.

Late last month, after the Albuquerque Police Department tested the 1997 rape kit, detectives determined the same man was responsible.

Van Riley Overton Jr., now 45, was arrested in Albuquerque on Sunday.
https://www.abqjournal.com/1420732/m...cklog-hit.html

At any rate, good for Mayor Keller for doing what needed to be done to clear this backlog.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 02-15-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 09:00 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
From the article:
Quote:
Over the past several years, Overton became heavily involved in volunteer work and philanthropy in the Albuquerque-area.

He co-founded Duke City Dream Lab and later founded the nonprofit SpreadLoveABQ, both of which are geared to helping Albuquerque youths grappling with substance abuse, homelessness and other adversities.

In 2017, Berry honored Overton as volunteer of the year for his work on behalf of the Albuquerque Public Schools Title 1 homeless project, and for organizing art programs that raised donations of food and clothing for homeless students.
This is one way some predators and abusers disguise themselves. They do charity work, building a reputation for being a "'great guy", a "caring guy". They may present a very sympathetic persona toward friends and family members as a strategy for deflecting any rumors or accusations that eventually arise. They organize supporters in this informal way, who don't hesitate to step up to defend him, saying things along the lines of: "He's such a nice man! It couldn't be him who did those awful things they're accusing him of". They can be master manipulators, con artists of a sort.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:43 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I have periodically read about the city's rape kit backlog, but I guess it's never registered with me just how bad it is. How do you let rape kits sit around for over a decade? What kind of message does that send about how seriously law enforcement takes this crime?

https://www.abqjournal.com/1420732/m...cklog-hit.html

At any rate, good for Mayor Keller for doing what needed to be done to clear this backlog.
Actually, it seems from the article that it was more like two decades? Did I get the math right? The specific case in question was from 1997, and it was within the last year or two that the kit was finally tested?

This has been a fairly common problem in cities around the US in the past, though some have in more recent years placed a priority on catching up on the backlog. Not sure what the hang-up is; understaffed LE departments or labs? Shortage of funds? NM is a cash-strapped state, IDK...

Old 02-15-2020, 01:45 PM

4,864 posts, read 4,801,062 times
A year or so ago, the state announced that State Police had completed testing of their backlog of rape kits. Albuquerque received a DOJ grant in December 2019 to complete testing of their rape kit backlog.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, it seems from the article that it was more like two decades? Did I get the math right? The specific case in question was from 1997, and it was within the last year or two that the kit was finally tested?

This has been a fairly common problem in cities around the US in the past, though some have in more recent years placed a priority on catching up on the backlog. Not sure what the hang-up is; understaffed LE departments or labs? Shortage of funds? NM is a cash-strapped state, IDK...
Close to two decades, yes. I was stating it on the conservative side (but I didn't want to say "decades" since that would not have been accurate). For all I know there could have still been kits from before 1997, however.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:34 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
From the article:
This is one way some predators and abusers disguise themselves. They do charity work, building a reputation for being a "'great guy", a "caring guy". They may present a very sympathetic persona toward friends and family members as a strategy for deflecting any rumors or accusations that eventually arise. They organize supporters in this informal way, who don't hesitate to step up to defend him, saying things along the lines of: "He's such a nice man! It couldn't be him who did those awful things they're accusing him of". They can be master manipulators, con artists of a sort.
True, or it could be a sign of a guilty conscience, an honest desire to atone for past sins. Someone with no remorse probably wouldn't go to all that trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque