Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times

Advertisements

Several stores have started offering special hours for seniors only (over 60), but I'm hearing these have become some of the most crowded hours at participating stores. I would advise seniors to avoid shopping during those hours and try mid-mornings Tuesday-Thursday. The "senior hours" could end up spreading more virus by packing seniors into the stores all at once.

Trader Joe's has shortened their hours which means more crowding. I saw a line of people waiting to get in the store on Holly/Ventura at about 9:20 this morning, so turned around and left.

Share your experiences-- when are you finding are the best and worst times to do your food shopping in Albuquerque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
I went to the Smith's at Wyoming and Paseo Friday at 7 a.m. It was a mad house and Smith's was totally unprepared. They had not restocked the shelves and were trying to do so while the hordes milled about. Far too many shelves were empty and things like eggs, milk, butter, most meats, etc. were simply not available. The place was much more crowded during a regular shopping day. Once again, there was a run on toilet and other paper and Smith;s was limiting purchases. Since they had only staffed half (4) of the checkouts, I waited 55 minutes in a line that stretched half way around the store (with an equal line in the other side) to check out. I will not try that again and just go during the day as before.

We're stocked for two-three weeks and anything we need after that we'll get at our local small market and try yo keep them in business.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
I've been lucky to find enough to keep me going and home for awhile at the Silver Street Market downtown. They had toilet paper from Roses this past weekend and that's all I really needed. But I was also able to get more milk, cheese, eggs and bread as well. I'm gonna try not to go out anymore for at least 2-3 weeks.

Before Walmart changed its hours, I was thinking of trying to go at 6 am, which is when people were saying they had stuff in stock. Now they open at 7:30 am and I think more people will be there as soon as it opens, so I decided against trying.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:38 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Wow, 2-3 weeks is good, I'm just hoping to make one trip per week. I'm used to going a few times a week for fresh produce.

I went back to Trader Joe's today (Tuesday) and there was a small line when I arrived around 10:00, but none when I left. It went quickly though and they kept the store uncrowded, leaving alternate checkout lines empty for added "breathing room." But a few food items I wanted were unavailable even though generally the shelves looked well stocked. The cheapest items were understandably the hottest ones.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Went to Costco on Renaissance last Friday in the senior time after 8 am and the store was nearly empty. Never ever saw it like this before. Still no toilet paper or much chicken or ground beef but shelves were fairly well stocked.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
My wife went to Walmart Pick Up Service at the Bernallio Store yesterday afternoon, about a 15 minute wait to get her order.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-25-2020 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-25-2020, 11:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I've been lucky to find enough to keep me going and home for awhile at the Silver Street Market downtown. They had toilet paper from Roses this past weekend and that's all I really needed. But I was also able to get more milk, cheese, eggs and bread as well. I'm gonna try not to go out anymore for at least 2-3 weeks.

Before Walmart changed its hours, I was thinking of trying to go at 6 am, which is when people were saying they had stuff in stock. Now they open at 7:30 am and I think more people will be there as soon as it opens, so I decided against trying.
I was there two days ago. Did you know they had a vender stabbed?

Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I was there two days ago. Did you know they had a vender stabbed?
Yes, I did. Thankfully, it looks like he's gonna be okay and hopefully the creep who did it is gonna be locked up for a long time, if not sent to the state mental hospital.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...peat-offender/

Old 03-25-2020, 12:16 PM

I was able to secure a slot and placed an order from Walmart for home delivery today. I'm hoping I'll get at least some of what I ordered. It's mostly frozen foods and more obscure items that I'm hoping might be available. I had last ordered from Walmart two weekends ago and only got about 40 percent of what I had ordered, due to them being out of stock of most items. Before that, I had ordered from both Walmart and Target when the panic was really beginning to set in and got about 70 percent of what I had ordered, including paper towels. Toilet paper had already been selling out at that time, so I couldn't get that delivered then.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:40 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
When you get home you remember all the stuff you forgot to get. I snuck in to an Albertsons around 1 pm and it was not crowded but you can tell some parents have had it with the kids home 24/7. This is still early.

I ended up buying stuff I never tried before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque