Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 07:41 PM

26 posts, read 19,361 times

Advertisements

As a kid I used to dream of Albuquerque becoming an "exciting big city" but at some point along the way I realized the slower growth was probably working more in the city's favor than against it. Had it become "Silicone Bosque" or "Silicone Mesa" it would just be some overpriced, whitewashed version of itself with the the original locals being pushed out to the margins.

Also, infrastructure wise, I don't think the city's equipped to handle too much more west and northwest growth with the city's current bridges. And then there's water issues, more traffic, pollution and all the other good stuff more people bring.

I don't think the city's quite out of the woods, however. With Texas pushing 30 million soon and California clearing 40 million, I think NM is lucky to only have 2.1 million, but I can't help shake this sense of impending boom.

So I guess my question is, what can the city do to preemptively prepare for a population surge? Are there any policies that have worked to prevent runaway housing prices? Asking for a friend...

Last edited by User_Error; 05-03-2021 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
I think you need to read what the analysts are saying about the 2020 census results and the outlook for the future. It was not a discussion of impending boom.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:29 PM

26 posts, read 19,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I think you need to read what the analysts are saying about the 2020 census results and the outlook for the future. It was not a discussion of impending boom.
Yeah that's probably true, according to the census NM was one of the slowest growing western states along with Wyoming these past 10 years. My thinking though is that people are going to seek out less crowded places in the future and it just seems that ABQ should have a lot of appeal. And even though the US as a whole is losing population, it seems like the population is shifting south and west, and at some point it might catch up to NM.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
As a kid I used to dream of Albuquerque becoming an "exciting big city" but at some point along the way I realized the slower growth was probably working more in the city's favor than against it. Had it become "Silicone Bosque" or "Silicone Mesa" it would just be some overpriced, whitewashed version of itself with the the original locals being pushed out to the margins.
I know a lot of Hispanos with 400 year roots in the Valley who already thing the area has become "Mexicanified". This criticism is based not on a racial, but a cultural displacement of the Spanish colonial culture of Albuquerque.

But the thing is, Albuquerque has been Americanized (and now increasingly Mexicanized) since long before many, if not most of us on here were born. A bigger risk is economic gentrification moreso than cultural damage which is largely already done.

And that is not even addressing the impact done to Native Americans Pueblos of the Middle Rio Grande.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:49 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,031,211 times
I think ABQ can prepare by building 4-6 story buildings with mixed use zoning. First floor commercial enterprises while above would have offices or housing. This would be great along central ave, lomas, coal..etc. Walkable and cycle friendly complete streets.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:30 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I think ABQ can prepare by building 4-6 story buildings with mixed use zoning. First floor commercial enterprises while above would have offices or housing. This would be great along central ave, lomas, coal..etc. Walkable and cycle friendly complete streets.
I like that idea. But nowhere in NM should be building anything without knowing exactly where the water allotment is coming from. NM is ignoring it's increasing water shortages. The acquifers are drying up as we speak, and they are not being replenished.
I also don't think it is wise to try to move to NM without a large enough retirement income or a job. There's no jobs to be had. People moving there without jobs may be the homeless on the streets.
I myself may move to ABQ, but I have my financials figured out.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I like that idea. But nowhere in NM should be building anything without knowing exactly where the water allotment is coming from. NM is ignoring it's increasing water shortages. The acquifers are drying up as we speak, and they are not being replenished.
I also don't think it is wise to try to move to NM without a large enough retirement income or a job. There's no jobs to be had. People moving there without jobs may be the homeless on the streets.
I myself may move to ABQ, but I have my financials figured out.
You're right we should be recycling rain run off and stuff. Catching water for watering plants and discouraging green grass yards or using natural grasses of NM as well as native plants that can handle the dryness. I moved here without a job but luck was on my side and I got one. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,510,474 times
Apt rents are soaring. I hear one reason is people are selling their homes now since it's a seller's market and renting. Don't know how true that is but it makes sense. Where I live a lot of young people are coming in due to jobs.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 PM

192 posts, read 256,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I know a lot of Hispanos with 400 year roots in the Valley who already thing the area has become "Mexicanified". This criticism is based not on a racial, but a cultural displacement of the Spanish colonial culture of Albuquerque.

But the thing is, Albuquerque has been Americanized (and now increasingly Mexicanized) since long before many, if not most of us on here were born. A bigger risk is economic gentrification moreso than cultural damage which is largely already done.

And that is not even addressing the impact done to Native Americans Pueblos of the Middle Rio Grande.
What you are talking about is not localized to NM or Albuquerque, it's happened in every state and city in this country over time. Times change, demographics change, and this will never cease in the United States.

Expecting or wanting NM to be the same 400 years later is an exercise in futility, just like any city or state in this country.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:04 AM

NM could also have incentives for things like low flow toilets, waterless urinals, non potable water for irrigation, converting to drip irrigation, diverting run off to basins or aquafers. Nobody talks about the lack of water in the Western US. But it's about using good landscaping and water husbandry for our landscaping. Planting more tall trees in the city to reduce temperatures, moving to better paving materials that don't absorb as much heat. It's all about education.

I prefer living in a growing city as opposed to a dying one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: