Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 09:35 PM

511 posts, read 625,437 times

Advertisements

So we recently moved to ABQ and landed in the Foothills.

We continue to marvel at our luck finding this house so close to the Embudo Canyon trails at the end of Menaul. We go out every morning for a hike, and it's just exquisite. Now that it's cooling down, we're going out at dusk sometimes, too. We find the area invigorating, beautiful, captivating.

Now, I went to the library recently searching for all things ABQ. I want to learn as much as I can about my new city, and I found a book called "Haunted Albuquerque." I thought it would be a fun read, and it HAS been a fun read, especially because I learned I've been hiking Haunted Hill for the last two months!

Apparently some gruesome things happened on the hill pretty much right behind my house, yeah, at the end of Menaul, and if I listen carefully, I can hear women getting dragged, screaming, see hovering lights from lanterns in the crags of the mountain just above.

I just thought it was a strange new bird I wasn't yet familiar with I was hearing on my walk the other morning. Even my dog stopped to look and listen. I wonder... Yikes!

I'm curious what you've heard about Haunted Hill. People online say it's creepy and weird and there's bad energy there. I get good vibes there, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 01:04 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
I've hiked in that area a lot, and this is the first I've heard of anything called "Haunted Hill." I'd take it with a grain of salt, like any urban legend. Is it supposed to be the hill immediately to the east of the Menaul parking lot trailhead? There are trails that skirt around the bottom of it, but I recall being on top of it only once, and coming upon a herd of 11 muledeer placidly grazing, it was a beautiful sight. Usually I hike around there from the Indian School trailhead.

The most common bird you will hear (and see) there is the curve-billed thrasher, which likes to perch on the abundant cholla in the area. Scrub jays make their racket all over the foothills. You've probably also heard coyotes at night making a variety of sounds.

Sorry, but I've never seen or heard anything paranormal. Report back if you have a close encounter!

You can take a "ghost tour" of Old Town, if you're into that sort of thing. I did it once because a friend visiting from out of town wanted to do it. But I thought it was lame, and she said it wasn't as good as others she's been on in other cities.

Last edited by aries63; 08-25-2022 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I've hiked in that area a lot, and this is the first I've heard of anything called "Haunted Hill." I'd take it with a grain of salt, like any urban legend. Is it supposed to be the hill immediately to the east of the Menaul parking lot trailhead? There are trails that skirt around the bottom of it, but I recall being on top of it only once, and coming upon a herd of 11 muledeer placidly grazing, it was a beautiful sight. Usually I hike around there from the Indian School trailhead.

The most common bird you will hear (and see) there is the curve-billed thrasher, which likes to perch on the abundant cholla in the area. Scrub jays make their racket all over the foothills. You've probably also heard coyotes at night making a variety of sounds.

Sorry, but I've never seen or heard anything paranormal. Report back if you have a close encounter!

You can take a "ghost tour" of Old Town, if you're into that sort of thing. I did it once because a friend visiting from out of town wanted to do it. But I thought it was lame, and she said it wasn't as good as others she's been on in other cities.
Yes, from what I read in the book and a couple online posts I found, it seems people park in the lot and climb the hill just east as you mention. You can look up and see "caves" where the big boulders meet other boulders, which is where this ghost is supposed to drag his unsuspecting ladies. I believe he carries a lantern on the darker nights. I plan on scaling the hill at some point. We'll see how that goes!

I just looked up the curve-billed thrasher. Yes, it's certainly a bird I've seen, along with dozens of hummingbirds. I've never in my life seen FLOCKS of hummingbirds before coming here. What a delight on the trail, although it seems we're down to pairs these days. June and July must have been either mating season or they were migrating, given this is a popular route for them, I've heard.

However, this bird my dog and I heard one morning was just eerie. The sound came from a bush off the trail about 20 feet away. We stood looking, waiting for the bird to emerge, but no luck. I would swear it was a bird; it didn't sound like an animal in distress, just really something different, almost wailing. I wonder if the ghost hangs out in daylight, too...

I'll let you know if I run into anything suspicious, so keep checking back!

Old 08-25-2022, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Hey Algiz,
I'm new to city data as well as Albuquerque. I live near Tramway Blvd and I know the place you're talking about. I ride my bike to that park often. There are many cool trails going all along and around that hillside. I usually ride late in the afternoon, near dusk. I never knew it was haunted.

I decided to do a quick internet scan and there's definitely talk about that area. People say they've had first-hand experiences out there with strange noises and swinging lights in the distance, which seem to vanish when approached (figures). I personally haven't experienced anything strange out there, except maybe a Vinegaroon! The area "feels" pretty normal to me.

As we move into winter, my bike rides are going to get closer and closer to dusk. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything strange.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate38 View Post
Hey Algiz,
I'm new to city data as well as Albuquerque. I live near Tramway Blvd and I know the place you're talking about. I ride my bike to that park often. There are many cool trails going all along and around that hillside. I usually ride late in the afternoon, near dusk. I never knew it was haunted.

I decided to do a quick internet scan and there's definitely talk about that area. People say they've had first-hand experiences out there with strange noises and swinging lights in the distance, which seem to vanish when approached (figures). I personally haven't experienced anything strange out there, except maybe a Vinegaroon! The area "feels" pretty normal to me.

As we move into winter, my bike rides are going to get closer and closer to dusk. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything strange.
Yeah, aren't the trails the most amazing things, so many to explore, and the mountain just beautiful, especially right before the sun comes up and over in the morning? And then look west, and you can see the western edge of ABQ! I have never seen an actual edge of a city. This is a super unique place.

So, you found some info, too? I wonder if it's all recent hype, which might explain why aries63. who sounds like s/he's been in the area some good bit longer than we have, hasn't heard of Haunted Hill.

Now, you said "vinegaroon?" I looked that up, and OMG, is this what you saw out there? It says they're harmless, but I'll keep my distance nonetheless. Haunted Hill is turning out interesting!

Old 08-31-2022, 04:37 PM

Vinegaroon.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Have you hiked Haunted Hill at the east end of Menaul?-vinegaroonresize.jpg   Have you hiked Haunted Hill at the east end of Menaul?-vinegaroon.jpg  

Old 09-01-2022, 05:35 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
There are rattlesnakes throughout the foothills, which I've seen numerous times, and had a few close encounters, but never saw a vinegaroon.

There was a famous police shooting of a homeless man, James Boyd, in 2014, near the Copper trailhead, south of where you are. I've never heard if he haunts that area.

And of course there was the famous TWA Flight 260 crash in 1955, closer to the Crest, but I've never heard of any hauntings there, either. It's a difficult hike up Domingo Baca Canyon to the crash site which I've never attempted. There are too many other beautiful trails. But there's an excellent book about it, called "The Crash of TWA Flight 260", by Charles Williams, which you can find at the Public Library. Interesting from an aviation history standpoint.

If you enjoy the Embudo Canyon trails, you should try Elena Gallegos picnic area trails, north of Academy, much prettier and very green now.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
After 23 years here, we saw our first vinegaroon just a couple of days ago. Somehow, the lizards and birds that patrol our courtyards missed it and my wife dispatched it. It was an ugly thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque