Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 09:54 PM

21 posts, read 33,380 times

Advertisements

Hello! I’ll be visiting from the Pacific Northwest the first week of December to see Tommy Emmanuel performing at KiMo Theater, which I’m really excited about.

This will be my first trip to New Mexico, and unfortunately a short one since the only reason I’ll be flying in is to see Tommy. I was wondering if there is anything I’d be able to see or do while I’m in town, hopefully within walking distance (2-3 miles) of the Theater. I’ll have free time between 3:00 Monday afternoon to around 4:00 Tuesday afternoon and then again Wednesday morning until around 12:30. I’ve always wanted to visit Taos and Santa Fe, but that will have to wait for another trip.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 08:17 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
I am from the NW too.

I always thought the wide open horizons of NM are simply gorgeous and if I had your time frame would skip Downtown and just soak up as much scenery as possible. And sunshine as well. What part of the NW are you from. On the Western side the sun can be a miracle if it comes out as you know.

I can guarantee you will love visiting. Soooo different down there.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Have you worked out where you'll be staying, and how you'll get around?

Since you have seven months to plan ahead, have a look at the official tourism site:

https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/

The KiMo itself is a historic building worth knowing about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGV9cLv5lg

Old 04-25-2023, 04:50 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
December could be a raw weather day for doing very much outside. It just depends on how things go from day to day. There is Old Town and the museum district and the Sawmill district reasonably close and indoors, mostly.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:11 PM

Thanks, 87112, aries63 and SunGrins, for your replies. I live in the greater Puget Sound region so, yes, the lack of sun this time of year gets old. I will need to make another trip, preferably late spring/early summer, to take in the scenery, visit Santa Fe and Taos, and do some hiking.

Appreciate the link to the Albuquerque tourism site. I will check it out. I do not plan to rent a car, so I made reservations at The Clyde Hotel, which I believe is only a couple of blocks from KiMo Theater? I read about the homeless population surrounding the area in reviews for the hotel, but I figured, with the short distance, it would be safe to walk to the theater and back even at 10:00 PM.

Old Town definitely looks doable in the amount of time I have – thank you!

Old 04-25-2023, 10:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,168 times
Improv at The Box, Gold and 2nd.
The Hotel Andaluz, an early Hilton property. Copper and 2nd. It’s beautiful.
Man’s Hat Store on Central - old school hat shop staffed by old school men.
Holmes Pizza, Silver and 3rd. They have a small arcade with pinball and ‘80s video games.
505 Food Court, across from Kimo. 6-8 different restaurants in a communal food hall setting. A bit grittier and not quite as hip as Sawmill Market, but the options are good.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:06 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
That's the first I've heard of The Hyatt Regency being renamed "The Clyde".

You can ride the ART bus for free, which you can take west to Old Town, or east to Nob Hill.

You realize that the KiMo and Clyde are smack in the middle of downtown. Every downtown of every major city I know of in the US has a "homeless problem." So if you're used to city life you won't see anything in ABQ's downtown you haven't seen before. Compared to Seattle and Portland it's pretty dull.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:49 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
Op. Downtown ABQ is like Yakima, WA downtown x 3.
It is correct not much happening there.

Old Town is more interesting.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:53 PM

Thanks, all, for the additional suggestions. I was hoping to stay at Hotel Andaluz because it does look beautiful. Unfortunately, when I was looking for a place to stay a few weeks ago, it showed no rooms available.

I assumed KiMo Theater and The Clyde are in the middle of downtown. I've lived in a major city and have worked downtown for 20 years, so if you think it's pretty dull compared to Seattle and Portland, I should be fine.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:22 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Improv at The Box, Gold and 2nd.
The Hotel Andaluz, an early Hilton property. Copper and 2nd. It’s beautiful.
Man’s Hat Store on Central - old school hat shop staffed by old school men.
Holmes Pizza, Silver and 3rd. They have a small arcade with pinball and ‘80s video games.
505 Food Court, across from Kimo. 6-8 different restaurants in a communal food hall setting. A bit grittier and not quite as hip as Sawmill Market, but the options are good.
Holmes Pizza is excellent and fun. I'd also recommend Sushi Hana right by the KiMo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque