Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,358 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend who currently lives in los angeles, and me(currently in buffalo), were considering moving to albuquerque. I was just wondering how people who live there feel about alb.? and how the UNM is? We're both college students hoping to get away from both the high prices of la and the constant and freezing below zero weather of buffalo. Hows the quality of life? any responses would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM

182 posts, read 707,968 times
You'll like the weather, the people in that area (Central Ave.) may be a problem. During the daytime, probably not much, but during the nighttime, be careful.

The problem with UNM is that it is, unfortunately, located right on Central Ave (AKA, the old Rt. 66) not too far from downtown Albuquerque (ABQ). But even if it were located further OUT on Central, say towards the East end of it where it gets close to I-40/Tramway, it'd still be in a unsavory location. If it were located farther West, say towards Central & Coors, it's be in an even WORSE place (if that's possible). ALL of Central Ave. is the same: The WHOLE avenue looks run-down and depressed. And it's ONE HECK of a very long avenue, too, all the way from the far Westside of ABQ, through Downtown and all the way to the far Eastside where I-40 goes through the mountain! Personally, I can't see ANY place its entire length *I* would want to live.

Maybe back MANY years ago when the university was built there, the neighborhood was a nice place to live...not any more, and it hasn't been for who knows how long.

I'd say almost ANYONE who lives in ABQ or Rio Rancho, etc., will tell you Central is no place to be after dark..unless you like "walking on the wild side" and some people do. Not my kind of crowd though.

Now I'm not conversant re: what close-by neighborhoods are nice places to live in, i.e., within walking distance or a short drive of UNM, but someone else here can tell you that. I'm sure lots of students live nearby as true with any university neighborhood, but I don't know how safe they are. THEY would be the best source of info for you.

There probably are some decent neighborhoods "behind" (I mean looking at UNM from its Central Ave. side) UNM maybe...but I haven't been back there so I can't say.

My suggestion is to live a bit further away in a nicer area, live with the longer drive, and go to UNM during the day (during normal "business hours" if you will). Should you be taking night classes at UNM, just be MORE aware (you should ALWAYS be aware/vigilant no matter where you are) of your surroundings/people, etc., because again, you'll be in the Central area after dark. If you DO live in that area, be sure do the best you can re: securing your apartment and having good/aware neighbors.

I'm sure plenty of people will say they go there after dark and nothing happens, true, but the freakazoids start coming out in the afternoons, and after dark, most of them are out. I've even seen grade-school kids on bikes deliberately hassle/taunt people in cars on Central...the age of a miscreant doesn't matter.

I think most people in ABQ avoid Central in the evenings -- Starbucks, Flying Star and the Frontier notwithstanding -- there are just too many other nicer and safer places to go in ABQ after dark anyway.

-- John D.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:03 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffny View Post
My boyfriend who currently lives in los angeles, and me(currently in buffalo), were considering moving to albuquerque. I was just wondering how people who live there feel about alb.? and how the UNM is? We're both college students hoping to get away from both the high prices of la and the constant and freezing below zero weather of buffalo. Hows the quality of life? any responses would be greatly appreciated thanks.
The quality of life, I feel, is very good. The city is growing quickly, yet the traffic, polution, etc., are very low. The weather is warmer than Buffalo and colder than L.A. (except for stretches in the summer). It is sunny and dry (it is a desert). There are beautiful mountains that surround the city. People are relatively friendly and welcoming of people from other areas.

It surely is cheaper than L.A. and warmer than Buffalo. I do warn you though that our culture here is nothing like L.A.'s...much less of an emphasis on materialism, fashion, etc. While our retail sector is growing quite quickly, it is nothing like L.A. We are obviously much smaller in size than L.A., and even still smaller than Buffalo...thus, if you are looking for a "big city atmosphere", while I would consider ABQ to be a big city (metro area of 800,000), it isn't size-wise the same as huge cities like L.A. at all.

It is a unique area, but if you come with an open mind and a willingness to be in a unique culture unlike much of America, you'll really enjoy the beauty, culture, and moderate weather. Sunsets aren't too shabby either!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,042 times
I work at the university and I'm down here day and night and Central Avenue is THRIVING with TONS of people at night at all the restaurants and bars and clubs etc. in Knob Hill. I have dance class farther down Central in the "questionable" area and I never have a problem. We just make sure we leave in pairs etc. and pay attention to our surroundings.

There are lots of neighborhoods around Central and the University that are pretty safe. It's not some warzone. The neighborhoods south of UNM are the more questionable ones and I would be careful there at night. But there are beginning to be nice places closer to downtown as more people want an urban lifestyle and the neighborhood directly west of the university is much sought after!!! And they keep building and more condos here too.

Albuquerque has a lot to offer young couples -- affordability, nightlife geared more towards 20's and 30's, natural beauty, good weather, lots of outdoor activities etc.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:45 PM

212 posts, read 689,134 times
Honestly, coming from LA and NY, you have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to Albuquerque. UNM is a great school, very diverse, and ABQ weather couldn't be nicer.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,034 times
Hi...can anyone share their opinion on the north UNM area? I'll be attending graduate school at UNM in the Fall, and we are moving to Albuquerque in May. I've been digging for info on various forums and have heard this area is okay. I'm mainly wondering about safety. Is it pretty safe to walk around anytime? Are there many break-ins in that area?

I'd love to be able to walk or bike to school, but if there isn't a safe neighborhood nearby, then I would be fine with driving. I've heard south UNM is considered the "student ghetto", so that doesn't sound too appealing (no offense to anyone who lives there).

My wife and I are flying out in March to see the area and hopefully find housing (rental). If anyone has input on what neighborhoods to target, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 AM

11 posts, read 35,448 times
goosta,
The area north of UNM is really pretty nice, especially closer to the hospital and golf course. Lots of professors/med school students/professionals wanting to stay in a central location of ABQ. I've lived both north and south of UNM and walked/biked to school the entire time. I would definitely say north of UNM is nicer though.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 PM

93 posts, read 473,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
Honestly, coming from LA and NY, you have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to Albuquerque. UNM is a great school, very diverse, and ABQ weather couldn't be nicer.
Actually the weather has been one of the hardest adjustments for my partner and I. The climate here is VERY dry. Some people hardly notice and adjust easily. Me, I've had a sore crusty nose ever since moving back here in July. Also, I find the summers to be pretty rough-not necessarily the heat but the lack of shade. IMO, the sun can be super oppressive when you can't get out from under it, and we're in a desert--so, not a lot of natural sun protection. We're a lot higher here too so the sun really can scorch the skin. OK, those are my weather complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque