Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:44 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,904,288 times

Advertisements

I don't have a photo to show, but it's a plant with tiny leaves and tiny yellow flowers. It usually grows very close to the ground. It may be considered a weed for all I know, but I like it, especially for its delicate flowers, which are open in the morning, but generally close up in the afternoon. I mostly see it growing along the edge of sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,995,470 times
Snake weed?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,904,288 times
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's the same thing. What I am seeing tends to grow extremely low to the ground (unless it's in a lot of shade). It seems to spread out flat, rather than shooting up (again, at least where it gets a lot of sunlight).

After some searching, I think it might be Silverweed, though I can't find any images that look exactly as concentrated and spread out (if that makes any sense) as what I see.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 09-25-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,968,360 times
Chamisa has tiny yellow flowers, but it can grow somewhat bushy and I'm sure you already know it anyway. I've been building a pictoral album of NM wildflowers on my hikes since I got a digi camera with great closeup zoom capabilities about two years ago. Wish you had a pic, 'cause I'm always curious what else people find. I presume it's one of the fall season bloomers due to your timing.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,331,492 times
Its not puncture vine, aka goatheads, is it?
Tribulus terrestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,979,873 times
It could puncture weed/goat's head, as Alison states - if it is, GET RID OF IT!! It's a serious weed issue and you will step on it often - the thorns grow close to the ground and are hard to see. Kids & animals also will be hurt by it.

It could also be purslane; if it is, it will grow much bigger in time, up to a foot high. Purslane DOES have tiny yellow flower that open and close, but are quite hard to see. It doesn't have thorns, but is considered by many to be a weed. However, it does have a useful purpose, as a food source. Long-time residents of NM prepare some kind of dish from it - I think it's called something like Verdalaga(?), and is supposedly high in the omega-3's. It also has wildlife value.

Here's a pic of snakeweed:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ndscaping.html

It's my pic on the left, with the yellow flowers. If it's snakeweed, keep it! I dug these up & transplanted them - they're ABQ superstars and need no add'l water.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,957,268 times
Pretty Flowers, Horrible smell.. especially if you have allergies, god bless...

Old 09-27-2008, 12:07 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Its not puncture vine, aka goatheads, is it?
Tribulus terrestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By the OP's description, I am in agreement with AlisonL. It is a pretty and delicate little groundcreeper.... AT FIRST. Then it becomes the bane of my existence. I have probably stepped barefoot on thse little goatheads about 50 times this summer and they hurt. I try to make people take there shoes off when they come in my house but the little buggers get spread around anyway. I have had four or five flats this year due to them.

KILL THEM KILL THEM HILL THEM ALL!!!!

And they are an invasion species, to boot.

ABQConvict

Old 09-27-2008, 12:16 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,183,514 times
Just part of being in the Southwest.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,224,206 times
I'll be posting a photograph of my remedy for the goathead plant soon. The trick to destroying these pesky plants is to catch them early in the spring and get rid of them above ground. Once they begin to bloom, and turn to seed (the prickly part), they're extremely hard to deal with. My doggie is always getting these stuck in his paw paws, they hurt like heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque