Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM

486 posts, read 1,491,238 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am driving down to ABQ for Thanksgiving weekend (from Colorado) with my partner and son.

Can you give any suggestions on what to do this time of year for a young family?

Are there any activities/events going on that weekend? Or does eveyone just do the turkey thing at home?

I really want to visit Old Town - any affordable hotels in that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:07 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Hi! I am driving down to ABQ for Thanksgiving weekend (from Colorado) with my partner and son.

Can you give any suggestions on what to do this time of year for a young family?

Are there any activities/events going on that weekend? Or does eveyone just do the turkey thing at home?

I really want to visit Old Town - any affordable hotels in that area?

Thanks!
Don't know what you mean by affordable, but there are lots of very nice hotels in the general area or along I-25..As for what to do: visit oldtown and do the zoo. I would suggest you go to the Albuquerque website and get some ideas, there is plenty to see.

NIta

Old 11-17-2008, 03:53 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,185,155 times
There aren't any real expensive hotels in ABQ. The Hilton is only $120 a night.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
There aren't any real expensive hotels in ABQ. The Hilton is only $120 a night.
and it is darn nice, what about Embassy Suites with the free managers cocktail party and full breakfast/??

Nita

Old 11-18-2008, 01:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,565,247 times
I heard an ad on the radio today for the Rio Grande Arts & Craft Show over Thanksgiving weekend, starts Friday 11/28 and runs thru Sun 11/30. Cookie Walk sounds interesting

Rio Grande Arts & Crafts Festivals (http://www.riograndefestivals.com/2008/november2008.html - broken link)

River of Lights event at the Rio Grande Botanic Garden starts on Saturday 11/29.

River of Lights - Rio Grande Botanic Garden - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/garden/educationlights.html - broken link)

I just discovered this place via the internet this past weekend. Haven't been yet but it sounds like fun, although it might be more of a "chick" thing:

The St. James Tearoom - Coming to Tea

If you're into jewelery (or just want some cool Christmas gifts), Southwest Silver on 4th & Lomas is having an after Thanksgiving sale, we heard it will be 1/2 off when we were there last weekend.

Link to Old Town below. Looks like their "big" holiday event is the first weekend of December. Bummer. But still worth visiting anyway!

Old Town Albuquerque (http://www.albuquerqueoldtown.com/Default.aspx - broken link)

Don't know how old your son is, but my adult friends thought this place was pretty cool:

http://www.nmnaturalhistory.org/

And the DynaTheater is neat, if you like IMAX type shows:

http://www.naturalhistoryfoundation....natheater.html

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 AM

486 posts, read 1,491,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I heard an ad on the radio today for the Rio Grande Arts & Craft Show over Thanksgiving weekend, starts Friday 11/28 and runs thru Sun 11/30. Cookie Walk sounds interesting

Rio Grande Arts & Crafts Festivals (http://www.riograndefestivals.com/2008/november2008.html - broken link)

River of Lights event at the Rio Grande Botanic Garden starts on Saturday 11/29.

River of Lights - Rio Grande Botanic Garden - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/garden/educationlights.html - broken link)

I just discovered this place via the internet this past weekend. Haven't been yet but it sounds like fun, although it might be more of a "chick" thing:

The St. James Tearoom - Coming to Tea

If you're into jewelery (or just want some cool Christmas gifts), Southwest Silver on 4th & Lomas is having an after Thanksgiving sale, we heard it will be 1/2 off when we were there last weekend.

Link to Old Town below. Looks like their "big" holiday event is the first weekend of December. Bummer. But still worth visiting anyway!

Old Town Albuquerque (http://www.albuquerqueoldtown.com/Default.aspx - broken link)

Don't know how old your son is, but my adult friends thought this place was pretty cool:

New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science

And the DynaTheater is neat, if you like IMAX type shows:

NMMNH Foundation - Lockheed Martin DynaTheater

Thanks Yukon!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,565,247 times
Sorry I couldn't find more! It's my first Thanksgiving here, so I'm searching stuff to do too. You might check the Alibi website, they might have some stuff listed too.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,728,891 times
If you are wanting to stay in Old Town check out Casas de Suenos

Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 AM

908 posts, read 2,845,315 times
I would add in Explora, just off Mountain St. and right across from the NM Museum of Natural History for kids of all ages. In fact, for the locals there's an adult night this Friday. It usually includes the run of the place, some snacks and live music.

Right next to the Botanic Gardens (Where the 'River of Lights' display shows) is the Aquarium, and there's a light train that runs between Tingley Beach, the Botanic Gardens and the zoo. For a nice walk, hit the Bosque Trail. A good place to start off from is the Rio Grande Nature Center which has blinds where you can spy on water fowl, turtles and the like. The migrations are in full swing, so it should be perfect fowl weather. Other nice light hikes are the Petroglyphs and Volcanoes on the west side and the Embudo and Oso canyons on the East side.

Don't forget the Tram. Be aware the tickets are $16 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque