Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,823 times

Advertisements

Too poor to take a vacation?

Always wanted to go to Mexico but afraid of drug shootouts, federales, and crackheads?

We took the plunge and tried out the new Mexican-themed Megalomart on Central & Atrisco. Quite an experience, but not sure whether I'd go again or not.

What do other people who have been think of the place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:00 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,038,432 times
I went and I did feel like I was in Mexico, I though it was a cool place and they had a good selection of agua frescas,I love those things, but it was so busy when I went that it made the shopping experience not so good but I would definetely go back when the smoke clears.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 4,428,089 times
I've been there and came away with some delicious cantaloupe, lots of inexpensive jalapeños, and some carne arrachera to barbecue for tacos.

I like its cleanliness, wide variety of products, and flair.

It's a real feather in Albuquerque's hat.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,723,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Quite an experience, but not sure whether I'd go again or not.
Zoidberg -

Now you can't leave us hanging here! I am taking from that statement (although forgive me if I am taking this incorrectly) that you were overall semi-non-satisfied (or more so) with your trip there...thus, let us know what the "cons" were. I would be very interested, as I always wanted to go, but never had the chance.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Zoidberg -

Now you can't leave us hanging here! I am taking from that statement (although forgive me if I am taking this incorrectly) that you were overall semi-non-satisfied (or more so) with your trip there...thus, let us know what the "cons" were. I would be very interested, as I always wanted to go, but never had the chance.
Oh, come now. A little suspense never hurt anybody..

My only real con was:

*Packed with people. Not sure if it's just because the place was new and it was a busy time, or if it's like the Costco on Renaissance or the Apple Store. Always packed with people and making money hand over fist.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM

1,567 posts, read 4,428,089 times
My hunch is that this is a genuine phenomenon: mariachi's singing, lots of people rubbing elbows and buying groceries, folks getting a massage, etc.

The atmosphere, depending on who one's karma, is either invigorating or frantic; the store is either bustling or crowded; the checkers are either slow or are doing a good job of keeping up with unending lines of customers.

In any case, I feel good when I'm there. The place is friendly, inexpensive, and energizing.

When was the last time you could say that about Albertson's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Not sure if it's just because the place was new and it was a busy time, or if it's like the Costco on Renaissance or the Apple Store. Always packed with people and making money hand over fist.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,994,406 times
I feel like i'm at albertsons in santa fe.. haha just with out all the mexican decorations it makes it taky.. but its a great market. Lots of fruits to choose from

Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM

145 posts, read 481,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I feel like i'm at albertsons in santa fe.. haha just with out all the mexican decorations it makes it taky.. but its a great market. Lots of fruits to choose from
Bradly,
I hate to tell you this, it is in SW ABQ it is self discribed as hispanic. Do I drive over there? No I wont cross the river, I don't have a passport.

P.S. maybe ill go tonight for dinner.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,038 times
Zoidberg, were you there on a weekend or weekday?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM

July 3rd, I believe it was. Don't think "weekend" or "weekday" does it justice, given the number of events people were planning for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque