U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 03:21 PM

36 posts, read 149,181 times

Advertisements

hi all-
My husband and i are considering moving to/buying a home in Albuquerque. My job is to investigate (not run to a real estate agent, just yet). So i thought this forum could be very helpful.

I searched mls, but would like to know which areas i should seriously consider--or avoid-- (for our needs). Most of the forums mention the northern parts, but the commute is out of the question for hubby, he says, as he would work near the mesa del sol "complex".(less than 45 min peak-drive one way is ideal )

We have two types of areas in mind. Let me know if it's the "impossible dream"...

PLAN A: We seek a quiet community, safe for eveing strolls to /from dinner...walkable to cinema/cultural centers or parks would be A+. We like character/older or adobe (single family) houses .. (In LA, areas really differ..so i thought this detail might help you guide us.)

Right now we rent in Fairfax/beverly area of LA, which has a bit of the above. It's certainly not crime-free and we know how to be "aware"...we just don't want to be afraid to venture out after dark. Are there gang /high crime areas to avoid?

If the above is a bust...
PLAN B: is to find a tear-down or residential lot to build a little house...one dream is to add a guesthouse and start a bed and breakfast, if it all works out. So in that case, land with some nice vistas without being whipped by sand-storms (!) would work or an area near cultural attractions.

Ideally spend 300K for the house (plan A) or less than 100k for the residential parcel or tear-down house/land (plan B).

thanks in advance for your time. .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 33,945 times
You're right about the northern parts of town (specifically far NE heights and far NW/Rio Rancho) probably being the nicest areas. On good days, I would say commuting in 45 minutes is possible from both areas. However, you might want to check out the Nob Hill area. Lots of older homes with character, quiet neighborhoods, parks, and a trendy business district. However, these homes can get quite pricey.

Last edited by wkyblue82; 03-22-2007 at 11:37 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 AM

thanks, wkyblue82. Nob hill is my pick so far but i should probably compare it to other areas for value.

just wondering:
are there areas with a close commute to mesa del sol/airport area that would be safe but cheaper than nob hill? With shops, cultural centers..not just an isolated suburb?

would places on the west side of the rio be a pain for commuting to mesa del sol/airport area?

thanks so much

Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 33,945 times
When traffic is flowing normally, commuting across the river from the west side is not too bad, although it seems to be more congested during rush hour heading east in the morning and west in the afternoon. This is barring accidents/construction/closures on any of the river overpasses, in which case it can get hairy because of the limited options crossing over the rio.

The west side of the city probably would be more bang for your buck. The growth and sprawl is headed in that direction with new neighborhoods, schools and shopping centers being built. You'd probably want to look more at NW over SW though, as it tends to have better neighborhoods and more cinema/cultural/leisure opportunities available. It'd be a bit longer as far as commuting, but I think well worth it.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:49 PM

942 posts, read 1,254,687 times
Somehow I get the impression walkable areas are not a major interest in the development of the area

Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,198,347 times
Why don't you and your husband come out for several days, investigate, and make a decision?

This area of the world is unique and investigating it via the internet is something that I would avoid doing.

You may have to alter your expectations so that they fit in with what the area has to offer.

I move here four years ago and am still learning a lot about the area.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:29 AM

13 posts, read 52,558 times
I would recommend looking downtown in what is called the Country Club area . It can be pricey for the larger homes . but there are smaller ones too . It is close to Old Town (walkable ) ,the Bosque (river / wooded area ) and other older interesting neighborhoods . I live on Silver and 12th and really like the area . We have a walkable area and are close to downtown . I think its a good time to come as the city is starting to redevelopment . You would be minutes from Mesa Del Sol . One thing I like about being low in the valley is when it is windy elsewhere , its only breezey here .All the city venues are nearby - the zoo , botanical gardens /aquarium and museums . Like to bike ? Trails are along the Bosque and can lead you all around the area . Downtown , Old Town ,North Valley and Nob Hill . You will find what you are looking for in these areas .

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM

thanks everyone for all of the input. I hope to come for a visit in the fall. At least now i have a handful of areas to focus on.
cheers!

Old 04-15-2007, 12:51 AM

3,645 posts, read 10,537,733 times
Always, always, always!!!!

Rent in a new area BEFORE you buy. Only you know what you're really comfortable with and a few days visiting a town cannot usually give you an accurate feel for a new place.

That said, if I had to live here any longer that 2 more months, we'd be moving to Rio Rancho. (Been here 3 years, NW side, just south of Rio Rancho)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque