Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My wife and I took our puppy to the Dog Park just West of the Fire Station on Wyoming (North of Paseo).

Apparently the city is also finishing-up a Skate Park and traditional Park right next door to the Dog Park.

Do you ever want to read the word Park again?

Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Do you know if the city has any splash parks or plans for any? I know there are a ton of pools, but wondering if there is a splash park run either by the city or privately.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
I don't believe I've ever seen a splash park.

Is this a city provided water play facility?

I would support the development of one, provided it recycle water from the river.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
The Radisson has a new water parkish kinda thing in one of there hotels off of 1-40.

Uncle cliff's has a splash parkish kinda thing.. I think its called water monkeys adventure.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
I just did some digging on the city website and it appears that there is one at Manzano Mesa with limited summer hours. I may have to take a look next time I go to Costco.

I also found that the West Mesa Aquatic center has a very very shallow play pool with a waterslide.

A spalsh/spray park is basically a playground with sprayers - you get very wet but there is no risk of drowning so the city only needs to provide an attendant with first aid training instead of a lifeguard. Philadelphia started replacing the pools with splash/spray parks b/c of drownings.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,873 times
The city just took the wraps off the Skater area and playground area today at North Domingo Baca park (the park rybert referenced in the original post). The skateboarders were swarming all over the clean concrete.

I often take my lunches at that park and its usually pretty empty, save for a few folks letting their pooches run at the west end of the park. By the looks of it, I'm gonna have a lot more company during the summer months.

As far as splash parks go, you've got Manzano Mesa and the West Side Aquatic center as previously mentioned. But there is also the Paradise Hills Pool & Water Slide, the (relatively) new Rio Rancho Aquatic Center, and the Corrales Recreation Center. Most of these are on the West Side, as I am not entirely familar with what the current "wet" offerings the East Side may offer. Growing up, us East-siders pretty much just went to The Beach (RIP).

Chap

Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Not sure what the true definition of a "Splash Park" is. Does a board held over a an open fire hydrant on Simpson Street in the Bronx count?

The ABQ zoo has a small one and the MetroPlex Soccer field in Rio Rancho has one also.

Rich

Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 PM

17 posts, read 50,311 times
The skate park seems to be a HUGE Hit, even though it's only been open a few days. I live north of it, and it's packed with a tons of kids...mostly boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque