Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 AM

6 posts, read 32,110 times

Advertisements

I've been in ABQ for about a week now, and I've never felt so unsafe.

I'll admit that some of the feeling comes for the disorientation of being in a new place, but some of the feeling is quite real: everywhere I go, I hear stories of people whose cars have been broken into or vandalized. The drug addicts that aggressively beg for money on the streets (particularly around the university) can be quite threatening. At one place in Nob Hill where my wife and I considered renting, the landlord addressed our concerns about the flimsy windows that could be easily pushed out of the frame by a thief by saying "we haven't had any robberies here... yet."

Most of my coworkers, and the few people I knew here prior to my move, all live in gated communities, or in places with bars on the windows. That feels like living in prison to me. I don't want to live with that kind of isolation.

My biggest mistake yet was taking a wrong turn off Central past San Mateo and ending up in what I understand is called "The War Zone". We passed several police cars clustered around a person (or a corpse) lying in the street. The glares we received from many people in that area made it quite clear that we didn't belong there and weren't welcome.

Both my wife and I work within a mile or two of the University, so we've chosen to live as close to our jobs as possible. This has left us with a very small area where we feel even relatively safe: basically, Central to Lomas, University to Carlisle.

I'd like to expand my comfort zone in the city, but I don't know what areas are safe and which are dangerous.

Can anybody here give me an idea of what parts of the city to absolutely avoid?

I consider myself very street-smart when it comes to big cities: I've lived in Manhattan and Chicago and never had a problem or felt the level of fear I live with daily in ABQ. It's hard for me to understand why I feel so different here, and have the sense that a city boy like me just doesn't fit in.

Any advice from local ABQ folks would be appreciated. I know many of you love it here, and I'm hopeful that you can help me find a way to feel safe and fall in love with the city live you have.

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,221 times
If you confine yourself to such a small area, especially that just outside of the universary area, of course you are not getting a picture of the city as a whole.
Whenever I move to a new place, I like to pick a street, a major thoroughfare, and travel it from beginnng to end. Do this with Central, Montgomery, Paseo, San Mateo, Wyoming, Tramway, 4th Street, etc. And I mean all the way....take 4th up until you have to take 313 to Bernalillo. Stop someplace for lunch, drive through Rio Rancho, find Corrales. Do this as often as you can and find the ABQ YOU love.
For someone who's lived in NYC and CHI, you sound so unadventurous. The only way to fall in love with something is to see it all.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
I think you just need to get out more.. As living here my whole life. Nothing has happened to me here.. sure people come up to you and ask for change.. they do that in phoenix, dallas, denver and everywhere I have been.. This city is actually pretty big and stuff that happens here happens all over the place. I live in a gated community but thats cause we have a neighborhood association. Every city with sprawl has one, rod-iron windows is something else either you have it for protection or your home has already been broken into...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM

167 posts, read 598,372 times
Todd, first of all-- Welcome to New Mexico, and Welcome to Albuquerque!!! I moved here from the Northern California area almost 3 years ago. Its been an experience adjusting to such a different place. Where I moved from- Sonoma/Napa is very beautiful. I hated it here at moments, even though I did love some of the places. I really have grown to love it, though I have to say your comments on crime arent too far from the truth. Last month my car was broken into at the Eubank dog park in broad daylight with people coming and going. I was stupid enough to have left my purse on the floor- something I never had done and will never do again. I had thought that I was only maybe 30 ft away and there were so many people, but I was wrong. There is a lot of crime here. My partner was a police officer in Boston and moved here around the same time I did. We both feel similar about Albuquerque, and we both carry a gun. This was something I would have never done in Cali. You just have to be aware and recognize that there is crime here. In my opinion, it is the biggest drawback, along with all the trash piled up in the Mesa's, and the animal neglect, etc.........Its still not something I am used to - not sure if I ever will be.

With all that being said, to validate your concern and your gut feelings.. Albuquerque is a neat place to live. Think of all the pros: great weather, friendly people, lots of art happenings, beautiful sunsets, affordable housing, cultural events, etc and plunge into those things. Find your own special places, and things you and your wife will enjoy. If you are into hiking go get a book on Hiking in New Mexico, if you are into art, get lists of events happening in the arts. Whatever it is immerse yourself in it and explore what this area has to offer. You only get to live this life but once, so try to get into the postive aspects of this new place. My daughter has moved here recently to finish school, and I have told her these same things.

There will always be drawbacks in each place in this world. I dont think there will ever be a perfect place on the Earth. I'll let someone else tell you where to avoid since I myself am not really sure. Since I dont drink I am not out and about at night too much so I never feel I am in unsafe places. I have my usual routines.

I hope things smooth out for you and you dont let fear stop you from exploring our town. Its a different place to be sure, so go on and get out there and enjoy your life. In almost all probability, you're going to be just fine!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
If you confine yourself to such a small area, especially that just outside of the universary area, of course you are not getting a picture of the city as a whole.
Whenever I move to a new place, I like to pick a street, a major thoroughfare, and travel it from beginnng to end. Do this with Central, Montgomery, Paseo, San Mateo, Wyoming, Tramway, 4th Street, etc. And I mean all the way....take 4th up until you have to take 313 to Bernalillo. Stop someplace for lunch, drive through Rio Rancho, find Corrales. Do this as often as you can and find the ABQ YOU love.
For someone who's lived in NYC and CHI, you sound so unadventurous. The only way to fall in love with something is to see it all.
Actually, I've driven all over town. I've been downtown, uptown, to Old Town, and driven the length of Central as well as some other streets.

To call me unadventurous is a bit of an insult. Actually, I'm just being cautious about a new place with a MUCH higher crime rate than Manhattan, where I felt perfectly safe.

My question on this forum was about the safe and not-so-safe areas, which you have chosen not to answer.

Thanks anyway.

Todd

Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
...I really have grown to love it, though I have to say your comments on crime arent too far from the truth. Last month my car was broken into at the Eubank dog park in broad daylight with people coming and going. I was stupid enough to have left my purse on the floor- something I never had done and will never do again. I had thought that I was only maybe 30 ft away and there were so many people, but I was wrong. There is a lot of crime here. My partner was a police officer in Boston and moved here around the same time I did. We both feel similar about Albuquerque, and we both carry a gun. This was something I would have never done in Cali.
BlueRose:

Thank you for the long and thoughtful reply. Perhaps I'm more in tune with the crime statistics here than most newcomers because of my wife's job, which has her in close contact with police and crime lab professionals.

Unfortunately, neither of us would consider carrying a gun. I can understand why other people do, but it's against both of our natures to do so. I think we'll just have to be extra-cautious until we get more of a feel for the city, especially where NOT to go after dark.

Todd

Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I'm just being cautious about a new place with a MUCH higher crime rate than Manhattan, where I felt perfectly safe.
Just how much higher and where can I see the statistics.

ABQ has gangs, so stay away from gangs, don't even look at people if they stare at you.

Stay away from dark alleys.

Many crimes are drug deals gone bad. Considered collecting stats on it in the past but had better things to do.

Most of the public places like malls etc seem to be safe.

I know, all of the above seems like common sense, but guess what...

Been living in this area (Rio Rancho) 10 years. I have been in many places that had higher crime rates.

Rich

Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM

167 posts, read 598,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
My question on this forum was about the safe and not-so-safe areas
Todd, It seems to me that although there are bad areas of town, that the crime in general is pervasive everywhere, meaning that there are no areas that are completely safe from crime. The Northeast heights seem to have lots of problems. I've noticed that you can have a really good neighborhood, within blocks of a run down bad neighborhood. It was never like this where I am from in Cali, where neighborhoods were concentrated in easily defineably sections.

I will be watching this thread as I too, am curious.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
Todd, It seems to me that although there are bad areas of town, that the crime in general is pervasive everywhere, meaning that there are no areas that are completely safe from crime. The Northeast heights seem to have lots of problems. I've noticed that you can have a really good neighborhood, within blocks of a run down bad neighborhood. It was never like this where I am from in Cali, where neighborhoods were concentrated in easily defineably sections.

I will be watching this thread as I too, am curious.
Yeah, when I lived in the Bay Area I remember that it was quite segregated with the haves and the have-nots. I think most of California was like that. Huge areas of a city that were buffered from the poor and the crime, etc.

Albuquerque segregated ==> not so much.

Todd:

I think your question has been asked in about 25 to 50 (estimated) other posts. If you do a search on good and bad neighborhoods in ABQ on this forum you'll find a plethora of information.

Happy searching!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I walk around in a chain-mail suit. It hurts to stand in the sun but gangs can't cut me with their knives.

But seriously, bradly gave good advice. Just get out more. I go days, even weeks without seeing dead bodies in the streets and receiving mad-dog glares from M-13 members. And I ride my bike up Zuni (warzone) all the time.

Albuquerque is not a penal colony. It is a city filled with mostly, nice, normal, often unarmed people.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque