U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 80,974 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the heights for my entire life. I almost 30 years old. Growing up in a Conservative household, I heard stories about the 'warzone' and the Downtown area and how they were a den of criminal activity. Because of that, I stayed away from those areas, especially Downtown. That is until all my friends moved there.
I understand that the Downtown area was a very different place in the 80s and have seen how nice it can be, for the most part. Visiting the Downtown area, especially between 6th and 14th and Lead and Central, I've found that there is really not much to worry about other the inevitability of your car being messed with or broken into. Other than that I'm pretty much comfortable there, despite an anxiety problem I've had all my life (it is hereditary).
My lease is up at the end of the year and I would like to possibly live near my friends in this area. However, a longtime friend of mine has offered to have me move in with him into a big house that will have plenty of living space and will be available around the same time that my lease is up. The catch is that this house is slightly north of Gibson and slightly west of San Mateo. He assures me that it is the 'better' side of San Mateo but that occasionally you have to deal with problems from the 'warzone'. Now, I've had to go into the 'warzone' a few times (defining it as east of San Mateo, south of Central) and have never felt comfortable...even experiencing a vehicle with tinted windows slowing down when passing me. Xanax time!
Before you say, "Just go with what you're comfortable with!" I'd like to hear some opinions. What do think? I appreciate all who read this long winded question and offer some knowledge!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,329,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxartes View Post
Visiting the Downtown area, especially between 6th and 14th and Lead and Central, I've found that there is really not much to worry about other the inevitability of your car being messed with or broken into.
I consider that plenty to be worried about. Your mileage may differ...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM

24 posts, read 80,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I consider that plenty to be worried about. Your mileage may differ...
Meaning? Someone might take my care for a joyride?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,329,518 times
Quote:
Meaning? Someone might take my care for a joyride?
If you want to live in an area where by your own admission you EXPECT your
property to be broken into, vandalized, etc., feel free.

Best wishes on creating a stress-free lifestyle in such areas....

Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM

4,429 posts, read 9,397,005 times
Drive by the house in question, and the neighborhood, at various times this week. Try in the morning, at lunch, in the early evening, and later at night (10-11 ish). Also check it out on a Friday and Saturday night. Positive things to watch for - how well is the neighborhood lit at night? Are there any joggers out in the morning or evening? Anyone out walking their dog(s)? Neighbors chatting with each other? (and I'm not referring to the homeboys hangin' out by their cars on Friday night, either)

You'll need to experience the neighborhood and see how you feel. We can't make that decision for you. We each have our own comfort levels.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 PM

921 posts, read 2,179,438 times
The area you speak of sounds like the Ridgecrest area which is pretty quiet. There are pockets of low income & not so great apartments the further west you travel from San Mateo/Gibson. If you are close to Ridgecrest though, you should be okay.

Think about where you'd do your shopping though. The Super Wal-Mart on San Mateo & Zuni? I wouldn't really care to shop in that area. Then again, where do people do their grocery shopping if they live downtown?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 AM

11,798 posts, read 23,048,607 times
I don't live in Albuquerque, but I've been there a bunch of times, and the NE Heights seems like the best part of town to live in by far. If you're already there, I'd stay there if I were you. Your friends aren't so far away that you can't easily visit them, or have them visit you.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:24 AM

424 posts, read 987,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
Think about where you'd do your shopping though. The Super Wal-Mart on San Mateo & Zuni? I wouldn't really care to shop in that area. Then again, where do people do their grocery shopping if they live downtown?
If a person simply must not travel more than 5 minutes from home, then that's their only choice. Otherwise, there's plenty of places to shop at in the SE and NE portion of the city.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM

3,556 posts, read 9,395,256 times
The area in question is Fringecrest (unofficial name). I'd live there. Big trees. Nice homes.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 14,809,776 times
Quote:
I have lived in the heights for my entire life....
... 30 years old ... Downtown ... all my friends moved there. ...
... lease is up at the end of the year and I would like to possibly
live near my friends in this area. ...
... offered to have me move in with him into a big house ...
... slightly north of Gibson and slightly west of San Mateo. ...
You've lived here for 30 years. Where do you WANT to live?

Go there.

Unless, of course, you are broke and your friend is giving you a deal so good that you can't turn it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque