Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM

366 posts, read 1,248,739 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Albuquerque at the end of the month and looking for lofts to rent. I'd like to stay under $1,000 / month. Nothing comes up on rent.com and when I searched google, all I could find is one unit at the old high school. If anyone could point me in the direction of more listings, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM

123 posts, read 236,402 times
The old high school is pretty cool (centrally located, lots of restaurants walkable, plus easy access to Rail Runner and Rapid Ride) , and I believe they lease as well as rent. The Lofts at Albuquerque High - Loft Apartments, Condos, Townhomes, Retail-Office Space

Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,227,406 times
We toured the $760/month loft on Monday... it was pretty sweet.

That may be the only loft you find at your price-point... additionally, we don't have many lofts in the first place.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:28 PM

508 posts, read 1,088,270 times
In addition to the old ABQ high lofts, you might check the Sawmill lofts (affordable), just north of downtown. The silver lofts @ 8th and silver downtown are also modern lofts - very nice and relatively affordable. You might check www.infillsolutions.com. Most loft-style appts in ABQ will be new-construction around downtown, edo, and Nob Hill. There are historic-renovation lofts - but from what I can think of they are focused right around the Old ABQ high.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
We toured the $760/month loft on Monday... it was pretty sweet.

That may be the only loft you find at your price-point... additionally, we don't have many lofts in the first place.
how big or small did it feel? is there room for a living room (sofa, love seat & 55" tv) and bedroom (queen bed)? or would it feel cramped?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
In addition to the old ABQ high lofts, you might check the Sawmill lofts (affordable), just north of downtown. The silver lofts @ 8th and silver downtown are also modern lofts - very nice and relatively affordable. You might check www.infillsolutions.com. Most loft-style appts in ABQ will be new-construction around downtown, edo, and Nob Hill. There are historic-renovation lofts - but from what I can think of they are focused right around the Old ABQ high.
thanks. i'll check it out.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,227,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
how big or small did it feel? is there room for a living room (sofa, love seat & 55" tv) and bedroom (queen bed)? or would it feel cramped?
It felt cramped to me, but I've never lived in that style space (aside from a dorm room during college). They have what they call a "utility platform" which looks like where most people put their bed. Do to safety concerns or building code they do not provide a ladder to the platform. It was only about 8' off the ground (above the bathroom/closet/laundry room combo). It looked like it would be able to fit a queen bed with a IKEA Malm type frame (nothing chunkier).

I think I would be able to pull it off, but it would require a lifestyle change for sure.

It has these great 9' windows that have been refurbished so they don't leak as much air as the old single-pane windows.

We learned that spaces in the parking garage next door run $35, there is a $15 per cat charge each month, everything is electric (paid by the renter) and that water bills for the complex are communal and run from $30-40.

If you're used to "loft" living the arrangement might feel great, but for me... I'd have to get used to it.

On the plus side... you're right next door to a public library, a lot of great local restaurants and coffee shops, close to downtown.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
It felt cramped to me, but I've never lived in that style space (aside from a dorm room during college). They have what they call a "utility platform" which looks like where most people put their bed. Do to safety concerns or building code they do not provide a ladder to the platform. It was only about 8' off the ground (above the bathroom/closet/laundry room combo). It looked like it would be able to fit a queen bed with a IKEA Malm type frame (nothing chunkier).

I think I would be able to pull it off, but it would require a lifestyle change for sure.

It has these great 9' windows that have been refurbished so they don't leak as much air as the old single-pane windows.

We learned that spaces in the parking garage next door run $35, there is a $15 per cat charge each month, everything is electric (paid by the renter) and that water bills for the complex are communal and run from $30-40.

If you're used to "loft" living the arrangement might feel great, but for me... I'd have to get used to it.

On the plus side... you're right next door to a public library, a lot of great local restaurants and coffee shops, close to downtown.
i'm considering the 2 level loft now. it's a little bigger (1000 sf) and it comes with a private garage. it's a little more than i wanted to spend. but i don't want to be crammed into a closet either.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 PM

107 posts, read 344,818 times
Why not buy? I know of some really nice condos downtown that are priced really well. You'd be under a grand a month + you'd be building equity. NM is one of those states that offer 0 down programs. At what your budgeting you'd easily fall into that program.

DM me maybe I can help you out from start to finish...it's at least worth investigating...yes?

-EJ

Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
Why not buy? I know of some really nice condos downtown that are priced really well. You'd be under a grand a month + you'd be building equity. NM is one of those states that offer 0 down programs. At what your budgeting you'd easily fall into that program.

DM me maybe I can help you out from start to finish...it's at least worth investigating...yes?

-EJ
i'm going to do a 9 month lease (the shortest offered) and look to buy during that time. i want to know the city better before i buy. and make sure i'm going to stay at least a few years. or else it wouldn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque