U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM

21 posts, read 39,397 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at possibly attending graduate school in albuquerque, but two things are worrying me....first, I'm worried about the high rate of rapes in the city. Are there certain areas young women can do or things to avoid doing?

Also, I have heard there are lots of snakes, scorpions, spiders, and coyotes. I have a shih tzu I walk outside and I'm afraid it isn't safe to bring her. Any advice on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM

281 posts, read 574,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseegal2011 View Post
I'm looking at possibly attending graduate school in albuquerque, but two things are worrying me....first, I'm worried about the high rate of rapes in the city. Are there certain areas young women can do or things to avoid doing?

Also, I have heard there are lots of snakes, scorpions, spiders, and coyotes. I have a shih tzu I walk outside and I'm afraid it isn't safe to bring her. Any advice on this?
Am assuming you're talking UNM, maybe that's not a safe assumption, correct me if I'm wrong.

Your dog is fine in the city, especially when you're with them. Coyotes are cowardly and will almost never approach a fully grown person. Snakes and spiders aren't particular malicious, it's more of a defending themselves thing, and are quite rare inside the city limits. Scorpions are incredibly seldom deadly to dogs, even small ones, and they're actually pretty rare in albuquerque proper, as well.

Not sure about rape, I did a brief search on statistics, and discovered that 'violent rape' and 'stranger rape' are pretty uncommon, but we have a higher than average date-rape statistic. I think the date rape statistic can probably be correlated with 24,000 college students (nearly 5% of the population) and a city with a youth drug problem. If you're smart and cautious, such things can be avoided in most cases.

I'm not the biggest Albuquerque advocate around, there's some things wrong with the place, but I don't think anyone who doesn't make bad choices is in any more danger here than anywhere else.

-Z

Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 PM

107 posts, read 319,367 times
Yea I didn't hear or see any statistics about a high amount of rapes when my wife and I were investigating for our potential move here. I'd be curious to see where you got this figure. maybe we overlooked something.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,980,648 times
I havent found anything about rapes in ABQ but NM ranks 2nd in the country in that catergory, funny thing is, as a teen I remember a girl from TN getting raped at a party by several different guys.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM

502 posts, read 962,518 times
Rape rates are extremely high in the pueblos - which may have an effect on pushing those numbers up for New Mexico as a whole. I'll take Zandyman's answer though and suggest that especially for something such as rape (and I don't mean to diminish or deny the possibility of rapes occurring from strangers) where most attackers are known by the victims - it's primarily about who you know. Still, it's a horrifying statistic.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 AM

4,441 posts, read 9,435,877 times
Been here 2 years, haven't seen a snake, scorpion or coyote yet, and I'm in the foothills. It is Spider Central here though, especially in the spring. Even so, I think your dog would be fine. Can't help you with the rape stats. I'm a single female but don't tend to frequent the spots that would be considered risky, and I'm an old broad anyway. When I visit the bars, it's usually sports bars who are clients of my firm, so I'm guaranteed knowing management and having any problems I may encounter taken care of. Haven't had any problems though, even riding the bus late at night.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,652,197 times
The best thing anyone can do to reduce the probability of being a rape victim is to be aware of their surroundings. When walking in a city, use the glass on the building along the side walk to check who is behind you. If they stop when you stop, call the police. When driving, use your mirror and from time to time make random turns, don't always use the same route home at night. If you know someone is following you, you have a better chance of making it safely to the police, or getting the police to come to you before something happens. Neither in day nor night is surprise your friend.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM

3,690 posts, read 8,176,821 times
Given the very low likelihood of getting raped by a complete stranger vs. an acquaintance (particularly in Albuquerque), that last bit of advice seems a bit.. incorrect.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM

443 posts, read 1,131,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
The best thing anyone can do to reduce the probability of being a rape victim is to be aware of their surroundings.
The best thing anyone can do to avoid becoming a rape victim is changing our culture to one in which men step up and be men and don't abuse women.

To answer the question, I went to grad school at UNM and the quality of grad programs varies hugely. Check into the program more: speak to the department admin and ask them to get you in touch with some current students. A bad program is your biggest danger!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM

281 posts, read 574,853 times
Not that I disagree with the above advice, but I'd lean more towards "party with a girlfriend, don't take drinks from strangers and don't leave your drink unattended, ever, and.. well... think twice about who you spend time with." I can't find the statistics to really break down reported incidences again, though I swear I found it somewhere the first time, so my advice is unfortunately more anecdotal than statistical.

-Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque