Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 01:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times

Advertisements

I've often wondered, when you take a look at a map, why I-25 takes such an aggressive NE/SW twist between Comanche and Osuna Rds.

When they were laying out the interstate (or perhaps highway to precede it), was it a landowner making acquisitions difficult in the area? Was the soil unsuitable, or were there other considerations?

We know, for instance, that the I-25/40 interchange was specifically located where it is due to the presence of a huge quarry & gravel pit, allowing for a very large, high structure to be constructed. We also know the river would have gotten in the way if I-25 had continued northward at the same heading it leaves the interchange.

The question is thus, why the sudden twist, instead of a gentler correction? The area in question is all currently in the Albuquerque city limits, so it's unlikely other towns or villages played a role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
The precedent to I-25 was Rt 85 - the N-S route through the state.
Now, it's Rt 303 (El Camino Real).

If you look at the development around that Road, there would have
been a lot of demolition to do to put I-25 closer in to the valley.

In any case, the highway needs to move 5 miles East to go past
and not through Bernalillo and then needs to go another 25 or so
miles East to reach Santa Fe. The Rio Grande is also an obstacle

Also, if you look at a topo map, you can see that the grade is more
or less constant following the current route, but to go more due North
would require a lot of 'down' followed by a lot of 'up.'

I'm just reasoning it out from what I know, but those are my observations.

Interestingly, I-25 N heads mostly South between Santa Fe and Bernal.
I haven't found another US highway that reverses so severely over such
a long extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque