Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times

Advertisements

GORGEOUS yard, Rotorhead! Thanks for posting the pictures, now I feel much better about that part of my impending move. Woo!

Xeriscaped yards here in Florida are much more attractive,too, than trying to force grass in an area where it doesn't grow naturally.

Towanda, I found this link that might be useful:

Albuquerque Master Gardeners, Albuquerque gardening information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:45 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The main reason why ABQ is so brown is that it gets maybe 10-15 inches of rain a year, its a much drier desert than the Phoenix area for example.
Actually, Albuquerque averages 8.5 inches of rainfall annually. This is why Albuquerque is classified as part of a desert region. A desert region is generally considered any region that averages an annual amount of rainfall LESS than 10.0 inches of rainfall annually.

However, Albuquerque is not drier than Phoenix. Phoenix averages roughly the same amount of rainfall annually - 8.0 inches - that Albuquerque does. If you look at the averages, Phoneix, Albuquerque, and El Paso all average roughly the same annual rainfall, Tucson a miniscule hare more than these three, and Las Vegas, NV far less than any of them.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
OK, I have to ask. If there are so many NM-friendly plants (and apparently there are, yay!), why is the city so darn brown? I don't think I saw any blooming color when I was out there last month, and we drove all over town.
I actually wonder where you were driving around and looking? That might help explain.

First off, if you were here last month, remember that due to our fairly long growing season (not sure where you are hailing from, but if it is a place north of here or in higher altitudes, odds are the growing season is respectably shorter there) the majority of our spring blossoms / flowers / blooms, etc., were done in April.

In many, many areas around town, you'll see wonderful rose bushes / sunflowers / gardens with assorted native and non-native flowers, etc., which still make for color in the summer (even cacti bloom!).

Having said that, sure, most people looking for lush, green Midwestern or Southeastern landscaping find Albuquerque (or any other desert city) brown. The items used frequently in landscaping such as rock and sand, and heck, even the color of the stucco houses and buildings...all are brownish in general. You won't see the lush green lawns and thick forests here, etc., due to the desert clime. However, I personally find our light brown colors a beautiful contrast against our amazingly bright blue vast open skies.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
EnjoyEP, I'm off the west coast of Florida, in Tampa. But I grew up in PHX and 29 Palms CA, so I'm used to the desert and prefer it to the tropics. My friend lives in the SW part of the city, I think, and we drove all around town. I think it wouldn't have been so noticeably "brown" had I not been there for a weekend and then flown directly to PHX and stayed in the East Valley (awesome desert landscaping in PHX, it's become a gorgeous city). I didn't expect tons of greenery in either city, but I was surprised to not see hanging baskets and spot color in ABQ. Wait, we did see some, on the NE side maybe? Academy Heights area, and seems like Old Town had some color. I stand corrected! Her area is fairly new, so that might account for the lack of color - most of the houses are young families and maybe they don't have the time? One thing I am looking forward to... a great herb garden! Herbs do ok here but not great, I think it may be too hot and the sun too intense in the summer...or the humidity may be the problem.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
yukon ~ Thanks for the link to the ABQ gardening site! I appreciate it.

I am looking forward to having a herb garden too...I may do mine inside in a window rather than outside. Haven't decided yet....

Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default irrigation

I've seen rainfall maps of the Albuquerque area that more sharply defined the average rainfall, and it varies quite a bit depending on the part of town you live in. The lowest rainfall is right along the river valley, and the highest is tucked up along the Sandias. The NE heights and W. mesa areas fall somewhere between these two, but regardless of where in town you live your're gonna need regular irrigation to have any kind of garden. Even the hard-core xeric plants need help getting started and if you want the maximum color and longest blooming season, they typically require supplimental watering even after they're established. You'll probably get to know the sometimes arcane logic of a drip-system controller whether you like it or not.

Here's a shot of a frequent visitor to the yard.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
My friend lives in the SW part of the city, I think, and we drove all around town. Her area is fairly new, so that might account for the lack of color - most of the houses are young families and maybe they don't have the time?
I bet I know exactly where you are. Bunch of new construction on the Southwest (kind of the Unser and Gibson area)? Yeah...that is alot of pretty cookie-cutter, small lots, etc., and I think you are right - it is probably too new with young families that wouldn't necessarily have cared to "color it up"...that might kind of explain it.

I live on the Northeast Heights area which - in general - is some of the oldest parts of the city next to obvious places like Old Town, Central Ave., etc., and in this part of the city you'll still see tons more in terms of lawns, trees, flower beds, gardens, etc.

Best places to see color in this city: Northeast Heights, North Valley (you'll see TONS of color here...it is almost like a different city), UNM area, Corrales.

In the newer construction (Northwest, Rio Rancho, new Southwest, etc.), it is much more cookie cutter, subdivided, etc., and boring xeriscaping is used more commonly. Mainly because of water usage. I am all for conserving water, but in a nice growing season like we have here (although obviously not as long as anywhere in FL), I think color and plantings should be used extensively in a non-water hogging way.

But check out the North Valley...you will see color everywhere there!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,195 times
Default Albuquerque flowers

I have been to ABQ in October and the beginning of March. I want to know when the best time/ month to see the Rio Grande Botanic Garden is? When is it in full bloom? Shady Lakes water lily garden is another site I would love to see in bloom. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I am in Phoenix and flowers here are pretty much non existent...

Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
I was at the botanic garden last weekend, lots of daffodils and crocuses. Still very early for everything else. I think around the end of April other things will have started to perk up. You probably would want to visit May-September, that way you can also stop in the butterfly pavilion which is cool. The Heritage Farm area really comes alive in summer with lots of flowers.

Don't know about Shady Lakes (never been there) but if you want to visit during an interesting garden-related event, try the last weekend in June for this year's Lavender in the Village Festival at Los Poblanos Orchards in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, on Rio Grande Boulevard. It's a fun little festival with live music, food, and you can harvest your own lavender (for a fee), and check out the extensive gardens of the Los Poblanos Inn and Cultural Center, which includes a beautiful lotus pond. That weekend is the only time during the year the farm and grounds are open to the general public.

If you're in Tempe, have you been to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior, about 50 miles east on Rt. 60? One of my favorites.

Last edited by aries63; 03-21-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,195 times
Thank you so much for all the great information! I have not been to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, but will definitely look into it. We were thinking about making a trip in early June, but might have to put it off until the last weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque