Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 AM

210 posts, read 408,828 times

Advertisements

Good morning and thanks everyone who has been so helpful with the questions we have had before our move to Albuquerque.

I found a house to rent and was ready to mail the deposit. It is in the Near Northeast Heights, Sandia High attendance area and is close to a skatepark. But, when my husband figured out how to do a street view on Google, there was a car right in front of the house with the windows smashed out and side mirror broken and also a car in the driveway with the back window smashed. I realize the pictures may be a few years old but since it was two cars so close, I thought I should do a last minute check on the neighborhood before sending a deposit. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,464,211 times
That neighborhood is fairly tame. Unfortunately, cars with bashed out windows are not an uncommon sight in much of Albuquerque. Good idea always to keep your vehicles garaged at night. It is spooky to see that in front of the house you were planning to rent! Can you ask the landlord about it?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That neighborhood is fairly tame. Unfortunately, cars with bashed out windows are not an uncommon sight in much of Albuquerque. Good idea always to keep your vehicles garaged at night. It is spooky to see that in front of the house you were planning to rent! Can you ask the landlord about it?
It was a weird feeling and I plan to ask but since the exact date and time of the google street view is unknown it may have been before they owned it. Are car insurance rates high in Albuquerque from the vandalism? We own two cars and the house has a one car garage.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,231,457 times
Car windows are smashed worldwide. The previous tenant may have had bad-blood with someone else. It may not (and probably isn't) indicative of the neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:07 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,231,457 times
If you want (unless the prospect creeps you out) I am willing to run by the area and take a few photos for you. Maybe an update on the property will help.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,880,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
since the exact date and time of the google street view is unknown it may have been before they owned it.

Are car insurance rates high in Albuquerque from the vandalism? We own two cars and the house has a one car garage.
Google does not release the time of the photos. So some can be very old.

Our auto insurance from rural PA to Rio Rancho dropped slightly when we moved out to this area in 1998. My motorcycle insurance jumped about 2 or 3 times. You can call your insurance company and get an estimate.

Rich

Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,464,211 times
That house backs up to a very large vacant lot, I wonder if there are plans to build on it again? From the satellite view it looks like there were stores there, but from street view they've apparently been demolished. There is a strip club (TD's Gold Club) on the other side of Eubank from that lot. But that doesn't make it a "red light district" by any means. You will probably notice the noise from the car wash. There are some popular restaurants in the area. Are there any other locations you were considering?

My car insurance went down here, but I moved from Mass., which (at the time) had the highest rates in the country, so I was told.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That house backs up to a very large vacant lot, I wonder if there are plans to build on it again? From the satellite view it looks like there were stores there, but from street view they've apparently been demolished. There is a strip club (TD's Gold Club) on the other side of Eubank from that lot. But that doesn't make it a "red light district" by any means. You will probably notice the noise from the car wash. There are some popular restaurants in the area. Are there any other locations you were considering?

My car insurance went down here, but I moved from Mass., which (at the time) had the highest rates in the country, so I was told.
We are looking online at multiple areas and I will have the chance to look when I get there. I may wait and not commit to this house.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
If you want (unless the prospect creeps you out) I am willing to run by the area and take a few photos for you. Maybe an update on the property will help.
That would be fantastic or even just your gut feeling of how the street feels to you. I really appreciate your offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque