Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,627 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree that you are rather grumpy Miaiam....I've noticed a rather sour attitude in many of your posts......lighten up, this forum is for fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM

And don't think for one second that a host is completely NOT liable for their guests. That's how it SHOULD be, but it's not.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
Since there's only 60 ppl or so, just keep the "bar" open for the duration of the party like you would do if you were having a July 4th celebration (after the vow renewals of course!). Are you hiring a bar service or bartender? If so, you'll look like you're being cheap if you stop drinks right when dessert is served. My friend's sister did that for her wedding reception to cut costs & some guests grumbled behind her back. And as for the kids, as long as you offer non-alcoholic punches or sparkling fruit drinks they should feel free to mingle. It's not like this event is a business cocktail hour where adults are networking.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
How long is the party? What kind of party is it?

I don't think I'd open it any earlier than 11 for a party ending at 1-2 a.m., though! If you open it earlier then you have to worry about party hoppers and cheapos. The cream of the crop will arrive a little later because they intend on closing the party. JMO.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I am sorry AKgirlinCA, all I am trying to do is contribute to this forum with my humble opinion, other than sound "sour" or "sweet".

We completely disagree regarding this topic, and we will agree to disagree then, as I will not be responsible for people who drink inconveniently. Actually, in some cultures, this is seen as a complete lack of manners. If you are willing to put up with it, that is your call, I have no interest in discussing it.

If one agrees with the statement about worrying about excessive drinking, one should also worry about the dessert being too sweet for diabetics, the entrees being too salty for people who have hypertension, etc. Every person must know health limits, especially in parties, and behave accordingly not to become a nuisance to others. But that is just my opinion...

Back to topic, as the OP has not asked that, I would keep the bar open as she specifically thinks it is convenient. She knows her guests and she is the one who can make the best decision. The last thing one wants in a marriage anniversary is someone who is about to drive back home after having imbibed too many drinks... but to each, his own.

Last edited by Miaiam; 07-19-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Fair enough Miaiam....I can definitely see your point. I have a very low tolerance for excessive drinkers also. Lots of "alkies" in my family.

Adults should behave as adults, right!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Drinking is what it is!! Drinking as I have always said is not a spectator sport!!! Difference Miaiam is that too much sugar in a dessert isn't going to kill someone on their way home!! In my opinion Alcohol is and should be an end of the day done at home experience.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I would have to agree that you are rather grumpy Miaiam....I've noticed a rather sour attitude in many of your posts......lighten up, this forum is for fun!
Finally.....somebody said it. Now if the message would only reach the half dozen trolls that come here.....

Drinks at that party are a bad idea.

Last edited by rainroosty; 07-20-2010 at 02:38 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
I guess in an adult world it has to be a bit of a 2-way street. As host, you want to make sure your guests are having a good time, and things are going smoothly, to a point.
As a guest, you have to relax and realize your host is not your baby-sitter. If you forsee potential problems by attending, try and find a workaround.
If it were up to me, I'd serve drinks whenever I felt like it, and would expect that parents are able to keep an eye on their kids. I never actually felt like raiding the liquor when I was a little 'tacker', have things changed so much?
Relax and enjoy!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My opinion: Open bar through dinner, pay starts when dessert is served. Kids & non-alchoholic beverages free for the duration. This encourages designated driving and gives people some time to sober up before they leave. If you have closed the open bar 2 hrs. prior to the party's end you lessen the chance of people driving drunk except by their own choice and $$.
Absolutely agree! Being thoughtful goes one more step by serving the open bar as cocktail hour prelude and intro with dinner. My only note would be I would keep the open bar thru dessert. Following dinner, cash bar. It gives the option for those who wish to have more to drink, yet it also hopefully encourages responsible actions by the guests. Open bars tend to encourage over indulgence, imo and that could be dangerous in the end result for the drives home. Also, serving the alcohol open bar just prior to and during dinner is a more organized time, the children shouldn't be that much of a concern at that point. I would, however, offer a nice designated non-alcoholic drink "treat" like a non-alcoholic bellini or similar for the kids and anyone who does not , or cannot drink. Invitation to read....Open bar cocktail hour thru dinner. Cash bar to follow.

Then as mentioned above...the choice to continue to consume libations would be the choice of the guest, with time to hopefully make the choice to sober up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages