Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Guinness actually is fairly decent nutrion-wise (lower calorie count than a lot of other beers). If you like something heavier/darker it could be a good option
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
If you like the lighter beer, hubby and I love Landshark. He drinks a couple a day. I only drink a few a year when I'm in the mood for one, but considering I've always HATED beer and actually enjoy that one, I think it's a good reference.

ETA: I'm one of the live and let live people. As long as you're not drinking and driving and alcohol consumption doesn't cause you to beat your wife or dog, why in the world would I give you a hard time about what you do to your body? It's your body; enjoy it to YOUR fullest, not every nosey person's out there that thinks it's their God given right to tell you how to live. That's a monster pet peeve of mine. Have your beer, and have another for me!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Summer=Coor's lite. Winter= Redhook(winterhook). In between Pacifico w/lime..
that's all folks

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Stuff I like:

Amber Bock, Rolling Rock, a Coors Light is my light beer of choice, Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter, Fat Tire, Leinenkugel Classic Amber, Leinenkugel Honey Weiss, Leinenkugel Berry Weiss, Leinenkugel Summer Wheat (oh, yeah..), Tecate w/lime (very occasional), SHINER BOCK and SHINER BLONDE..

Guinness is alright every once in a while too, it's just not my favorite taste.

Having a beer is a great way to unwind- some people say that it's alcoholism to have a beer or two every day after work or whatever, but everyone has their rituals.. mine just happen to make me feel good

Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
This place in Plainfield NJ seems to have a decent selection of beers from just about everywhere....

Not sure if they are an actual store or just an online place.

Oak Tree Discount Wine and Spirits Complete Inventory List (http://www.oaktreewines.com/InventorySearchBeer.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
If youre going to drink Guinness get the stuff imported from Dublin, not Canada. There is a noticeable difference in the taste between the two, at least to me.

You should brew beer, so long as you dont over complicate things it is extremely enjoyable and the best beer you will ever drink. Even if you screw the batch up and it does not taste right, it will taste a million times better than the Bud/Bud Lite, Coors/Coors Lite type beers. If it does not taste right let it age and its a completely different beer. I made two beers 5 years ago that were not good so I forgot about them in my basement and now they taste fantastic.

Erdinger is an excelleng beer to drink, smooth on the tongue and very refreshing. I hate the word "craft" when talking about beer. Its just beer, a working mans drink No need to take it to the level of wine :P

Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner0 View Post
I am looking for a good healthy beer no more than 6.5% abv. I've considered sams boston larger and it seems nice from what I hear.

I don't want anyway telling me it's not healthy at all, because it is. The only downside was increase obesity which I'm assuming is from the grains which means pretty much a study can say "don't eat bread" so I don't want to hear it.

I'll only be drinking 1-2 beers a day as it's good for me heart.

Calories in Beer, Beer Alcohol, Beer Carbohydrates.

out of the beers on that list that i would want to drink, from a health perspective the best choices would be:
Flying Dog Tire Bite Golden Ale
Flying Dog In Heat Wheat
Flying Dog Woody Creek White
Sam Adams Light
Yuengling Light

i am not a big 'flying dog' drinker, but i always see it in the store. their beers look to be a good bit lighter than sam adams, sierra nevada, etc.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
~Busch~! ....It's essential to why I am ripped and have 12-pack abs!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Personally I don't like the lagers too much. They're just too dark for my taste. I like Killians Red occasionally.
What is this post supposed to mean? Miller Light, Coors Light, Keystone, and most every other kind of Pee-water are all Pilsner beers, which are LAGERS! (Hint: Lager beers are fermented at cooler temps due to the type of yeast they use, and like Ales, they come in many varieties, colors, Alchohol percentages, and everything else...).

As to the OP's question, I would not limit myself to one type of "house beer". For me the fun is trying different varieties, learning how the different hops have different flavor profiles, and how different malts, roasted to different levels create a different beer. I love beers like Fat Tire, but I also love a good IPA, right now I've been enjoying Sweetwater 420. But that's all moot.

Newcastle is always a good malty brown ale that is drinkable and pleases most people.

What I would do is start with some common beers (Newcastle, Sams, Guiness, etc. etc. etc.) Get a feel for what you like. (Hoppy, Malty, Roasty, etc....). Then try something craft-brewed and local, find out what is being made in your community, and be sure to try their special offerings. From there, browse the places with good selection, and over time get a profile of what you enjoy, and under what circumstances.

I love a good IPA in the summer, but after a long, cold, winter bike ride I might prefer to refuel on a nice thick Oatmeal Stout. YUM!

Damn, now I'm craving a beer(s).

Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
yeah, but he wanted beer suggestions that stood out as being healthy. Porters and Brown Ales are something you would drink if you didn't care too much about calories and carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages