Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:14 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Well, I'm no aficionado on beer...but I've had a few over the years. I'm not a taste tester for dozens or hundred of pro or amateur Beer makers. I find one I like and I stick with it. Not tempted by all the fancy labels and silly names. I feel no need to impress my friends with a classy looking label. Generally speaking you'd assume the best sellers are the ones most people like to drink.
...I liked Coors when it first came to Texas. Then later went to Coors Light. Then the Beer distributors started playing games with container size/quantity and price. So I switched to their less expensive Keystone Light. It's actually smoother than Coors Light and now it's my beer. Until they pi$$ me off again.

Coors is the beer I dislike most of any beer I've ever tried. Most of the "Light" beers I can't stand. I can do Corona with Lime, Michelob Ultra, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Asahi & Kronenbourg are my two favourites

Thanks! I'm not sure I've tried the Kronenbourg, I'll try it soon.

As an aside, I tried Heineken Dark this weekend, and I really did enjoy it! It was quite good...

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I'm a sucker for a good Wild Ale. Flemish or American (Preferably Russian River or Lost Abbey)

I'm trying not to get too fancy but trying to suggest what I consider regularly available beers for most folks. In addition to what I listed above, since you seem to like English style ales, I would recommend just about any beer from Fullers. Their ESB, Porter, London Pride. Bellhaven, Wells, etc...

Cheers!

Edit: Just realized you're in San Antonio. I need to then add some TX only beers to the list. Rahr Ugly Pug black lager is similar to the Asahi Black, Franconia Dunkel (It's a great Dunkel, lots of coffee flavor), Rahr Snowmageddon is an oatmeal stout and similar to Guinness but a bit different. Still, tons of dakr roasted malts, very smooth.

Thanks so much for this thoughtful list! I've never heard of any of these... so now starts to quest to find them. I think I've tried to do research to see if the beers are all a certain "type" but they always seem to be classified differently from one another, so it's hard. I seem to like most dark beer I try.... except I can't stand Young's Chocolate Stout.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
I'm not a beer snob (really!), but stout should rightfully be consumed at room temperature. Ales, chilled.

I prefer a shandy, or a cider (Strongbow).

I love my dark beers at room temperature. No one ever taught me that, I just discovered it by accident. Guinness says right on the bottle to serve it cold, and I let mine sit there until it warms up...

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
A stout is an ale. Really the serving temperature depends on the style. Kinda like that fermented grape juice stuff... Flavors come out more as the beer warms up which is part of why I dislike frozen beer mugs (dishsoap floaties) and places that advertise beer being served s subzero temps. Don't get me wrong, with this Texas heat lately, I'll gladly suck down a nice cold Lawnmower beer. Or water. But I don't need that when I go to a restaurant and order a flavorful beer. Anyhoo... I'll step off my pedestal. I'm not saying that anyone else needs to stop drinking their beer ice cold, but educate yourself before claiming things(not saying anyone has yet) about Brits and warm beer etc... Which by the way can be tomorrow's lesson titled: Real Ale in England and why cask beer is more interesting in America these days. Cheers!

Interestingly enough, I toured a Budweiser factory once, and they gave us a lesson that you are SUPPOSED to pour your beer into a class, and with as much head as possible! Not down the side to avoid head. It's is designed to open up the flavors. Especially with some of the dark beers, they are bitter, until you pour them in a glass with some good head! Beer= better with head... wait, what?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Have you tried the Shiner Black?

There's almost a coffee taste to it.

It's quite a neat little beer.

I almost did! But I went with Heineken Dark instead, I like regular Heineken better than regular Shiner. Next time, Shiner Black it is!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 PM

Ok, rather than being obnoxious and posting 1000 times, thank you to everyone! I wasn't expecting so many responses. I have book-marked this page and made a shopping list! I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and time that everyone spend on responding.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Coors is the beer I dislike most of any beer I've ever tried. Most of the "Light" beers I can't stand. I can do Corona with Lime, Michelob Ultra, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and that's about it.
I can name a lot more beers I don't like than ones I do like! If Coors is the worst you've tasted you've missed a bunch.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
My beer of choice lately is Sierra Nevada Summerfest, although I mainly stick these days to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with an occasional Smuttynose Old Brown Dog or Newcastle. I used to drink Anchor Steam a lot, and Bass, and Guinness, along with a lot of different nut brown and amber ales, which are my favorites.

I have been a bit of a beer snob in the past, and have a few beer snobs as friends. The problem for me is that I don't consider things such as Coors, Bud, or even Corona to be beer anymore, they are almost like soft drinks or something - soft drinks that, to me, taste awful. I rarely drink beer these days, maybe one beer once or twice a month at most, and when I go to my brother's house for dinner, I have finally started bringing a beer with me because, if I am going to drink a beer, I want to enjoy it. He is not offended at all, although many people would be - he doesn't like my kind of beer either, so we both win.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Must be why there are 42, 000 different brews on the market. (non scientific approximation) Obviously tastes vary tremendously and some of us waste too much time experimenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages