Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times

Advertisements

My dad would add beer to stews. He also made beer biscuits. Sorry I don't have recipes for either. But the best was beer steamed hotdogs. Buy all beef franks and place them in a slow cooker on low heat. Add at least one can of beer or more depending on the size of the cooker and the quantity of hot dogs. Let them steam for at least three hours. I slather mine with mustard. Yum-MY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
My 2 favourite beer recipes and a couple of websites for you . Enjoy. :

Ingredients
2 kg mussels
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and cut into long, fine shreds
1 tsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
25g unsalted butter
440ml lager
2 limes, juiced
3 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped

Method
First clean the mussels: tip them gently into a sink half-filled with cold water. Examine the mussels one by one. Discard any that have broken shells, or that are open and refuse to close when tapped firmly on the side of the sink. With the others, scrape off any barnacles and pull away scraps of 'beard', then transfer to a colander. Once you have worked your way through all of them, empty the sink, then refill with cold water and put the mussels in. Swirl around gently, then take out the mussels, putting them back into the colander. Keep cool until ready to use.
Cook the onion, garlic, chilli and coriander seeds in the butter in a large pan until tender, without browning. Now add the beer and bring up to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Raise the heat high and tip in the prepared mussels. Clamp on the lid and shake the pan gently until the mussels open – up to 5 minutes or so. Discard any that stay shut. Squeeze over the lime juice and scatter with coriander, turn gently, then serve immediately.

Flemish Carbonnade :

1.2 kg lean roasting beef (lower ribs, blade, steak), cut in 5 cm-long and 1 cm-thick slices., 850 g onions, 250 g smoked bacon, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 50 cl beer, 1 tablespoon wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 bouquet garni, 150 g stale bread, 50 g butter, salt, pepper

Technical Stages:

Peel and mince the onions. Dice the smoked bacon.
Brown the beef slices in a large pot with butter, turning them frequently.

Keep aside.

Repeat with the diced smoked bacon.

Keep aside.

Sweat the onions until brown. When golden, sprinkle with brown sugar and lower the heat to caramelize.

Deglaze with vinegar. Cook for 3 minutes.

Put back the beef in the pot, alternating with layers of onion and bacon, and put the bouquet garni in the middle.

Add salt, pepper.

Spread mustard on slices of stale bread, and put on top of the rest. Add the beer until it reaches the top of the meat and cook over low heat for 3 hours.

Serve warm with French fries.

Our Belgian Kitchen (http://www.belgianexperts.com/kitchen.php - broken link)

Cooking With Beer Recipes

Old 09-01-2007, 01:28 PM

23 posts, read 100,864 times
Tastefully Simple sells "bountiful beer bread mix" All you do is add a 12 oz. can of beer to the mix, bake, and eat. It is delicious!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,949 times
I can account for the Tastefully Simple beer bread it is good. They have a lot of unique and good foods, unfortunately for me some of them have trans fats and other such things I don't eat in them so I'm kind of limited. But, they're almond pound cake is to die for!!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
Bratwurst
Cook brats in a frying pan in beer on a medium temperature for 5 minutes. Then transfer the brats to a BBQ grill. Very Wisconsin/Northern IL food. Garnish with spicy German mustard and diced white onions or grilled white onions. Think back to Da Bears fans on Saturday Night Live back when Chris Farley was alive.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:29 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
That sounds good! I love brats.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
To steam seafood use one can beer, a couple cups of water, and a cup of vinegar, instead of just plain water. Makes it much tastier. Oh, that and dumping some old bay seaoning on top of it.
You sound like a Marylander, this is exactly what we do to steam crabs on the Chesapeake Bay, the only way to do it.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Bratwurst
Cook brats in a frying pan in beer on a medium temperature for 5 minutes. Then transfer the brats to a BBQ grill. Very Wisconsin/Northern IL food. Garnish with spicy German mustard and diced white onions or grilled white onions. Think back to Da Bears fans on Saturday Night Live back when Chris Farley was alive.
Down south we put coleslaw on them.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:11 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
I cook corned beef in beer, add beer to chili, stew-and also cabbage/bacon/oinions and beer. Can't leave old beer can chicken-so good.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
I cook my shrimp in beer, nothing else just a can of beer. Much tastier than any other way I've tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages