Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Beer is my least favorite type of liquor. I can count the number of beers I've hand on 2 hands.

At work, they hid the chocolate jars from me. One guy nicknamed me "Count Chocula."

I would assume most guys like chocolate. The dark chocolate...unbelievable...off the Richter scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I think the same is true for beer to an even greater degree (because there are so very many different kinds of beer). Most people I've met who say they don't like beer are really only familiar with cheap, mass-produced lager. On the other hand, some people really don't seem to taste beer well. We tried to introduce a neighbor to some good beers, and he said he really couldn't tell the difference, even between very different styles.

I will say though, on a somewhat-related note, that in the back of my mind I don't really feel like an adult because I don't drink Scotch.
That's true. But some people really do not seem to be able to tell the difference/appreciate quality. I think most do. If you're talking the cheap, nasty beer than yes, I find it tastes almost like some sort of industrial solvent lol.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Mmmmmmmmmm...scotch.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if some people who say that (not saying you) haven't tried really good chocolate? If Hershey's or Cadbury or the other supermarket junk was all the chocolate I knew I would definitely agree. Not saying it's perfectly possible you just don't like chocolate at all.

If eating a cadbury's bar is like jerking off alone in your room, eating a bar of fine Belgian chocolate, or fine handmade chocolate is like making love to a French supermodel, lol.
I did not say that I dislike chocolate ... Only that it is overrated. I can usually eat one bite and be satisfied. I never understood what the big deal is regarding chocolate and I've eaten some really fine brands. I prefer desserts with fruits and custards versus chocolatey stuff.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
I'd say it's almost 50/50 as to whether a gal likes beer or not. Interestingly, this isn't scientific, but I notice the more stereotypically 'girly girls' are much more likely to say no to beer, while those who 'hang with the boys' often say they enjoy beer. So I think it's obviously a social phenomenon.
hmm. I'd say... the wave of blonde or low carb beer has opened up beer to a lot of females who previously weren't into it. I drink beer socially... especially if its 35-40deg... not much is better than icy cold beer...

As for chocolate.... yes. I like. A lot. Cadbury's is pretty bad when it comes to chocolate... Put some fine belgian chocolate etc in front of me... devoured

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
hmm. I'd say... the wave of blonde or low carb beer has opened up beer to a lot of females who previously weren't into it. I drink beer socially... especially if its 35-40deg... not much is better than icy cold beer...

As for chocolate.... yes. I like. A lot. Cadbury's is pretty bad when it comes to chocolate... Put some fine belgian chocolate etc in front of me... devoured
How would you rank Cadbury, Nestle and Mars (the brand)?

I used to prefer Nestle but honestly now I'm not so sure. For the actual chocolate alone, they're all equally bad imo. Nestle is probably still SLIGHTLY better than the other two.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Yeah, I don't know if it's a North American thing either, but many women of my generation pretty much drink beer (including Canadian and American, that I've socialized with), just like men do. There might be more portrayal of men drinking beer on TV or in pop culture such as ads, but "on the ground" or "on the street" it seems there's not really a gender thing (or if so, the association might be weak at most).

For chocolate it is actually hard to tell (in part because chocolate isn't something that's seen as for eating socially as much...lol, and as you say, the stereotype for women is more about women eating chocolate like a comfort food or like a guilty pleasure and that'll be something you do alone, so even if dudes were eating chocolate by themselves to comfort themselves after a break-up...haha, you wouldn't see any of it).

Actually regarding chocolate from Europe (someone mentioned Belgian in the thread), that also reminds me of one of my female friends bringing back some chocolates to her friends after going to Europe. She had sealed/packed a lot of them and had thoughtfully put them in little gift packages for all her friends with labels on the package (more patience than I, for one, would have if I were in her place) along with other charming little trinkets like postcards and souvenirs. I noticed that she mostly gave her female friends chocolates as the gifts but also gave me chocolates too, along with postcards. I didn't see her give many other male friends the chocolates (lol... this wasn't a romance thing) but perhaps that was in part due to conceptions about what males/females liked -- she probably gave me them in particular because she knew I always liked to try foreign stuff in general.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Yeah, I don't know if it's a North American thing either, but many women of my generation pretty much drink beer (including Canadian and American, that I've socialized with), just like men do. There might be more portrayal of men drinking beer on TV or in pop culture such as ads, but "on the ground" or "on the street" it seems there's not really a gender thing (or if so, the association might be weak at most).

For chocolate it is actually hard to tell (in part because chocolate isn't something that's seen as for eating socially as much...lol, and as you say, the stereotype for women is more about women eating chocolate like a comfort food or like a guilty pleasure and that'll be something you do alone, so even if dudes were eating chocolate by themselves to comfort themselves after a break-up...haha, you wouldn't see any of it).

Actually regarding chocolate from Europe (someone mentioned Belgian in the thread), that also reminds me of one of my female friends bringing back some chocolates to her friends after going to Europe. She had sealed/packed a lot of them and had thoughtfully put them in little gift packages for all her friends with labels on the package (more patience than I, for one, would have if I were in her place) along with other charming little trinkets like postcards and souvenirs. I noticed that she mostly gave her female friends chocolates as the gifts but also gave me chocolates too, along with postcards. I didn't see her give many other male friends the chocolates (lol... this wasn't a romance thing) but perhaps that was in part due to conceptions about what males/females liked -- she probably gave me them in particular because she knew I always liked to try foreign stuff in general.
Did she give the males beer? haha

But yeah, there isn't a gender divide with chocolate as such, but more that women need 'comfort food', or have 'cravings', especially during pregnancy.

I think I'm more of a chocolate connoseur/snob than most people, though. I think there are two types of chocolate lovers, or maybe three:

1. Those who regularly buy cheap chocolate just for the 'fix.' They might have a chocolate bar every day at lunch, but seldom go for the better chocolate because they think it's too expensive.

2. Those who eat chocolate as a treat, but only the 'good stuff.'

3. Those who just love chocolate in general, and eat as much as they can, of all types.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Did she give the males beer? haha
Haha, no actually she didn't bring beer for anyone...lol

Quote:

But yeah, there isn't a gender divide with chocolate as such, but more that women need 'comfort food', or have 'cravings', especially during pregnancy.

I think I'm more of a chocolate connoseur/snob than most people, though. I think there are two types of chocolate lovers, or maybe three:

1. Those who regularly buy cheap chocolate just for the 'fix.' They might have a chocolate bar every day at lunch, but seldom go for the better chocolate because they think it's too expensive.

2. Those who eat chocolate as a treat, but only the 'good stuff.'

3. Those who just love chocolate in general, and eat as much as they can, of all types.
Hmm... when it comes to craving chocolate, I also find it interesting because it's associated with kids too, right? As in the sweet tooth thing.

My friend (okay, another friend, not the one I mention above) used to have big chocolate bars regularly for lunch in elementary school, on some days even having the whole lunch be one huge chocolate bar (not the healthiest option, but he seems pretty healthy now or at least is health-conscious, as he became so later on in life, starting in high school).

Now, kids don't have such fine or distinctive tastes as adults (I don't know if in part it's just biology of young taste buds or as well partly that they've not internalized social constructs of what "fine" dining etc. are), so there's a separate stereotype for sweet tooth folks who love sweet for sweet's sake (more like you'd stereotype a kid with a sugar craving) and those people who are connoisseurs who are stereotyped as snobs as you mention (I think that's in part a message of your post above).

Now, the question is, when women are stereotyped as craving chocolate for whatever reason, is it the same portrayal as the kid who craves chocolate (more like 1 or 3 on your list) or more like craving for a particular taste, being more the finicky type?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Now, the question is, when women are stereotyped as craving chocolate for whatever reason, is it the same portrayal as the kid who craves chocolate (more like 1 or 3 on your list) or more like craving for a particular taste, being more the finicky type?
Some people are portrayed as very specific about their "comfort food", such as my comfort food is X, with Y but with a dash of Z. I don't know if the portrayal of women and chocolate in our culture is specific enough to be associated with craving only the "good chocolate" or something, not the cheap stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages