Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,173 times

Advertisements

I have searched long and hard for George T Stagg Bourbon by Buffalo Trace. Even searched Louisville, KY for it with no avail.

It rates a 97 out of 100 in the Whiskey Bible. 141 Proof and counts as HAZMAT so it can't be transported on a commercial flight. It is aged and only released once a year.

Anyone get a 'swig' of it? Anyone know where to get it outside of Ebay?
--
After a week vacationing in Louisville, KY, I began to appreciate drinking Bourbon straight up. It has a bunch of flavor/complexity/nose rivalling Single Malt Scotch and Blended Scotch without the Super Premium Price (in relation to Premium brands of Bourbon). If I cannot find Glenmorangie at the bar or cannot drink my Blue Label Johnny Walker/21 year old Royal Salute Chivas, I order a Bourbon...Neat (Straight). I find Maker's Mark to be excellent if I can't find a Single Barrel Blanton's Reserve or Single Barrel Four Roses....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times
With a limited edition bourbon like this, (or any other limited or allocated wine or spirit for that matter) so little is produced, it's usually sold near the distillery, which is in Frankfort, KY.

My favorite bourbon to drink neat is Woodford Reserve, which is made in Versailles, KY. Check it out!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
I like maker's mark. And wild turkey.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:13 PM

255 posts, read 821,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
After a week vacationing in Louisville, KY, I began to appreciate drinking Bourbon straight up. It has a bunch of flavor/complexity/nose rivalling Single Malt Scotch and Blended Scotch without the Super Premium Price (in relation to Premium brands of Bourbon). If I cannot find Glenmorangie at the bar or cannot drink my Blue Label Johnny Walker/21 year old Royal Salute Chivas, I order a Bourbon...Neat (Straight). I find Maker's Mark to be excellent if I can't find a Single Barrel Blanton's Reserve or Single Barrel Four Roses....
I have traditionally been a Scotch drinker and that hasn't changed (Dalmore is my preference), but I also appreciate a branched bourbon now and again. I had an opportunity to visit the Jim Beam and Heaven Hill distilleries while in the area, and was very impressed by the Heaven Hill tour. Evan Williams isn't a top-shelf bourbon where I reside, but I now believe it to be of better quality and much smoother than even Jim Beam Choice or Black (which used to be my favorites). What a bonus that it's less expensive, too!

On a slight tangent, I also sampled different mint julep mixes while in the Louisville area, and concluded that Early Times' version is the finest for a premixed version. If you can't get one with fresh mint, try the "Early Times Mint Julep Ready-to-Serve Cocktail"!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
I like some Scotch. I like bourbon and Irish whiskey as well. To stay with the topic, I do like Maker's Mark. I really like Knob Creek.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Years ago I was moving from Va to Fl. I was taking my time and kind of wandering down the old highways of the east. When my CB lit off.

Seems that the Wild Turkey distillery had a fire that burn down their warehouse. They had rushed on fork lifts and got all of the barrels of whisky out. But now they had no building and it was late fall. They were on the radio selling their whiskey. $150 a barrel. 50 gallon, wooden barrel, $150. I had already went past the road to the place and I slowed, and thought, and slowed some more, and then thought, what would I do with a 50 gallon barrel? So I kept going.

I've been kicking myself in the a$$ ever since.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
The Woodford Reserve distillery has a nice tour and, through October, serves lunch on the veranda. Its one of the few tours which gives samples. Bourbon Distillery tours are fun little mini trips.
There's a bottom shelf cheap bourbon called Ancient Age (the dark gold label, not the light gold,) which we actually like.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,849 times
Default Stagg 2007

I live in Lexington, KY and the annual release from Buffalo Trace hit the market last Friday, 26th,. I picked up the Stagg, but haven't tasted it yet. I also purchased the annual release of W.L Weller and Sazerag 18yr rye. As of this post all are still available.

I bought the Weller and Sazerag at a different store and paid $43/bottle, but they didn't have the Stagg. I found all three at another store, but the price was $63. If you still have interest and see this post in time I may be able to help you get one. If it doesn't work out for you this year keep in mind that they are usually released around the middle to end of october.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 PM

43 posts, read 134,822 times
Default Bourbon Lovers

What do you drink?

My daily drink is Jim Beam fairly cheap and good flavor. If I splurge I go with Pappy Van Winkle's 20 year reserve...if I can find it. I also like Bookers for a good second. If I am making a manhattan I prefer either makers mark or buffalo trace a bit of a sweeter flavor. When I am feeling for something really different I will go with a Sazarc...made with rye whiskey and jim beam makes a pretty good one.

How about you?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,087 times
I'm a long time bourbon fan, and I've tried many. My "daily" pour (which is closer to 2 or 3 a month anymore) is usually Wild Turkey 101 or Elijah Craig 12yo.

The best bourbon I've tried is also a Van Winkle; I have a bottle of the Family Reserve 15 that I save for special evenings. I've heard both sides on the 20; one saying it's a little too old, the others claiming it's the 2nd coming. I can't wait to try it someday.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is another great one in my book; I was very happy after being very disappointed in a Russel's Reserve - gave that one to my dad.

In my opinion you could do a lot better than Jim Beam for a daily; have you tried either Old Forester or Elijah Craig Black? Both are probably cheaper than Beam and blow it away for flavor.

I've also been into rye lately. I heard about a rye that got some spectacular reviews that was also quite cheap - fortunately I wa able to find a bottle and the reviews were spot on; Rittenhouse Rye, Bottled in Bond 100 proof. Wow it's good. That let me to try some other ryes. I didn't care for Old Overholt, but Wild Turkey's rye wa good, and I picked up a Michter's single barrel that's pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages