Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 12:25 PM

2,047 posts, read 857,616 times

Advertisements

I like to have a couple of good drinks about once per week. For years I’ve always drank a good top shelf vodka. I’ll sip it with a chaser of a little juice or soda or something like that. However, it’s just starting to not sit well with me. It will irritate my stomach, after having a few drinks, I’ll get acid reflex, heartburn, etc. I’ve been told I should try switching to something else like maybe a dark liquor, a high quality bourbon, brandy etc. cost is not an obstacle.
Any recommendations for a high-quality liquor that’s easy on the old stomach? I like to drink it straight, maybe a chaser, but not into mixed drinks. Years ago I used to drink top shelf tequila, but that also started not sitting well with my stomach after years of drinking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 01:18 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
We enjoy a shot of George Dickel #12 bourbon every once in awhile. Goes down easy.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:46 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times
Single malt scotch is smooth and my sensitive tummy loves it.

Old 09-29-2023, 06:25 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alcoholic-beverages/

Old 09-29-2023, 07:24 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I'd suggest a good Cognac. They're blends so you may want to sample a few to see which house's blend you like the most. My favorite is Courvoisier.

You might also like Armagnac which I'd describe as a somewhat 'earthier' Cognac. Unfortunately for me, the state run liquor stores make it a bit difficult to obtain.

Last edited by burdell; 09-29-2023 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-30-2023, 09:39 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I'd wonder if it's the chaser.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:20 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Basil Hayden is a crazy smooth bourbon. Not my first choice by far, but it is really easy to drink.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
As someone who got into hard liquor late in life I would really look carefully at Jack Daniel's triple mash for whiskey also Canada club and Canadian Mist. I cracked the triple mash with a friend and she was surprised at it flavor (real woody taste)

She was quite surprised that here I was at 63 and never had crown Royal which we had a few shots of that.

For a good kick cheap, R&R whiskey is not half bad.

Personally I would avoid the Absolute vanilla vodka that unless it's in a mix because my gosh that vanilla just overpowers so much.

I knew one guy he lived next to me in a RV and he really loved the Barefoot blackberry wine.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:05 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I like to have a couple of good drinks about once per week. For years I’ve always drank a good top shelf vodka. I’ll sip it with a chaser of a little juice or soda or something like that. However, it’s just starting to not sit well with me. It will irritate my stomach, after having a few drinks, I’ll get acid reflex, heartburn, etc. I’ve been told I should try switching to something else like maybe a dark liquor, a high quality bourbon, brandy etc. cost is not an obstacle.
Any recommendations for a high-quality liquor that’s easy on the old stomach? I like to drink it straight, maybe a chaser, but not into mixed drinks. Years ago I used to drink top shelf tequila, but that also started not sitting well with my stomach after years of drinking it.
It's not the type of liquor or the brand of liquor or the cost of the liquor that's the problem. It's the ALCOHOL content that's the problem combined with your older (and less tolerant) stomach. The problem will be worse when you drink on an empty stomach. If you drink on a full stomach, the problem will be lesser, but not likely to disappear entirely unless you reduce the amount you typically drink.

Taking acid reducers like OTC Famotidine will help your stomach, but likely won't totally return your stomach to the tolerance it had when you were 25 years old. There are lots of things that a 60+ year old body won't do as well as a 25 year old body and stomach tolerance of large amounts of alcohol is one of them. I suggest that you reduce the amount of alcohol that you drink in one sitting and be sure not to drink on an empty stomach. The type/brand of whiskey makes little to no difference.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:12 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I wonder if the acid reflux isn't caused by juice or soda.

https://www.palmyrasurgical.com/diet...with-heartburn

Last edited by elnina; 09-30-2023 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages