Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
LOL - drank that many moons ago when I was a young girl and knew nothing about wine! Over the years, however, I was introduced to "real "grownup" wine and my tastebuds started to prefer dryer and dryer tasting wines. I really cannot stand sweetness in my wine. Plus, I am diabetic, so I have to stick to dry wines anyway. The sweetest I drink will be some chardonnays, but even those have to be the more buttery, oaky types.

But enjoy the Boone's Farm! Memories, memories..... Amazing they still sell that stuff!
Are we sisters???? Boone's Farm Apple, 99 cents in the mid 70's! After I "grew up" and decided to try wine again, of course I picked white, like my beloved Apple, plus my sister drank chardonnay after she had to give up scotch. PLUS I have pre-diabetic symptoms, so I have to watch my sugar too. My husband likes sweeter wines, but he's only drinking wine for 5 years (Celiac Disease made him give up beer), so I tell him that someday he too will have a "developed palate". He makes this face at me:
I found there were too many chardonnays I didn't like, so I tried Sauvignon Blanc. And I can say I've never met a sauv blanc I didn't like. Some are better than others of course, but all are drinkable imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Count me in as a Boone's Farm lover! I think it's a strawberry one I like. I just know it when I see it, LOL.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Are we sisters???? Boone's Farm Apple, 99 cents in the mid 70's! After I "grew up" and decided to try wine again, of course I picked white, like my beloved Apple, plus my sister drank chardonnay after she had to give up scotch. PLUS I have pre-diabetic symptoms, so I have to watch my sugar too. My husband likes sweeter wines, but he's only drinking wine for 5 years (Celiac Disease made him give up beer), so I tell him that someday he too will have a "developed palate". He makes this face at me:
I found there were too many chardonnays I didn't like, so I tried Sauvignon Blanc. And I can say I've never met a sauv blanc I didn't like. Some are better than others of course, but all are drinkable imho.
Haha - maybe we are (sisters). Sisters in wine at least! I agree about too many unpleasant chardonnays - why do they vary so much? When I find one that I like it's like GOLD to me, but they even vary within labels some times. Before the chardonnay I used to love the German whites - reisling is a bit too sweet but I loved the more tart Kabinett. I don't drink Sauv Blanc, but I do lke Chenin Blanc quite a bit (has that tart taste that I crave.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:37 PM

i've had chenin blanc, and remember French columbard?? Oh, and Chablis?! Forgot about that!
Haven't tried Kabinett.
Funny story about Chablis...we were in a hole in the wall bar in a tiny town in Nebraska. (Don't ask) My sister has a few glasses of Chablis. The old guy running the place yells to someone in the back "Better go downstairs and check on the wine! We've got quite a run on the Cha-bliss!!" He pronounced it with the hard Ch sound, the flat long a, and pronounced the s!! We were rolling on the floor laughing at that! Sheesh...this was EONS ago, and we're still talking about it when we get together!!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
OMG! I haven't heard of Boone's farm since the 70's....right along with Tango, and Hereford's cow!!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
i've had chenin blanc, and remember French columbard?? Oh, and Chablis?! Forgot about that!
Haven't tried Kabinett.
Funny story about Chablis...we were in a hole in the wall bar in a tiny town in Nebraska. (Don't ask) My sister has a few glasses of Chablis. The old guy running the place yells to someone in the back "Better go downstairs and check on the wine! We've got quite a run on the Cha-bliss!!" He pronounced it with the hard Ch sound, the flat long a, and pronounced the s!! We were rolling on the floor laughing at that! Sheesh...this was EONS ago, and we're still talking about it when we get together!!
Haha - cha-bliss - great story! And that reminds me, the Chablis was actually the next step up for me from Boone's farm - me and my girlfriend would get those jugs of Inglenook or Paul Masson Chablis - lord, how I hate that stuff...... tasted like battery acid going down!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I haven't had Boone's Farm since I was 16.

Mad Dog, Wild Irish Rose, Ripple, Night Train or Thunderbird, either.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM

A great website:

BumWine.com

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Haha - cha-bliss - great story! And that reminds me, the Chablis was actually the next step up for me from Boone's farm - me and my girlfriend would get those jugs of Inglenook or Paul Masson Chablis - lord, how I hate that stuff...... tasted like battery acid going down!
And our similarity continues!! Good old Inglenook jugged wine!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
In college, we'd buy jugs of Carlo Rossi Paisano and mix it with lemonade concentrate and 7-Up to make a wine punch (in a trash can, of course!).

The other cheapo wine we drank a lot of in college was lambrusco, either Cella ("chill a Cella") or Riunite. *shudder*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages