Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 05:48 AM

46 posts, read 45,285 times

Advertisements

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Not sure this has been mentioned yet. Here's an online book that explains a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 AM

16,668 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublet View Post
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Not sure this has been mentioned yet. Here's an online book that explains a lot.
That's a good link to keep handy. I had a fellow home brewer give me a copy of that book.

(Welcome to the home brew thread.)

Old 10-19-2014, 06:09 AM

What is Irish Moss supposed to do to a batch?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:13 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I put a Munton's Connoisseur Wheat into a fermenter 15 days ago. It was supposed to ferment in 4-6 days, but it is still bubbling every few minutes. I'll wait until it stops bubbling to bottle it up, but it does seem odd that it is taking so long. Anybody else ever have one take way too long to ferment?
I would think you used way too much malt and/or sugar in your wort. It happened to me and a friend once when we were novices to home brewing and we ended up with a pretty wicked batch of high-test malt liquor.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I would think you used way too much malt and/or sugar in your wort. It happened to me and a friend once when we were novices to home brewing and we ended up with a pretty wicked batch of high-test malt liquor.

Nope. Heat water. Add the can of Hopped Malt Extract. Add a measured amount of corn sugar. Dump in fermenter. Add water. Pitch yeast. That's all there is to it.

I think the fermenter was scratched up enough to trap bacteria and some side-reactions were taking place.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What is Irish Moss supposed to do to a batch?
You add roughly 1 tablespoon to the last ten minutes of boil. It is a fining agent that helps facilitate protein binding, causing the "large" proteins to precipitate out (the trub, all of that stuff left on the bottom of your kettle). It is supposed to help prevent chill haze and generally help produce a clear beer.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
The slime is a funny experience, we lived by the RDWHAHB and occasionally something went wrong like that. I agree with Irish moss, its one of those things I used because I was told it was better but for my drinking habbits and eye I have not noticed that much of a change.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
I put a hefe in the fridge this morning to see what its like. If its still weak on flavour I am just going to guzzle it all down over Thanks giving.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,291 times
I started my first brew on Saturday the 15th. It is a New Castle Brown Ale style kit, and I made a few mistakes. I think I pitched a little too much yeast, I think I used too much brown sugar when brewing. Also the first 3 days of fermentation were perfect and airlock water was bubbling, then temperature here in So Cal unexpectedly dropped and I woke up and saw my garage was at 55 degrees and the bubbles had stopped. I moved it into the house where we keep it around 74, and left it there for a few days, but I failed to think about the temp is probably 5 degrees higher in the bucket, so it was probably 79 degrees in the bucket which is too hot. The weather got better so I just moved it back into the garage yesterday, bubbles still haven't started again so I wonder if it has stopped fermenting. I drew a sample yesterday, 5 days into fermentation, to look and smell, and everything actually seemed pretty good except for a strong alcohol smell.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
I started my first brew on Saturday the 15th. It is a New Castle Brown Ale style kit, and I made a few mistakes. I think I pitched a little too much yeast, I think I used too much brown sugar when brewing. Also the first 3 days of fermentation were perfect and airlock water was bubbling, then temperature here in So Cal unexpectedly dropped and I woke up and saw my garage was at 55 degrees and the bubbles had stopped. I moved it into the house where we keep it around 74, and left it there for a few days, but I failed to think about the temp is probably 5 degrees higher in the bucket, so it was probably 79 degrees in the bucket which is too hot. The weather got better so I just moved it back into the garage yesterday, bubbles still haven't started again so I wonder if it has stopped fermenting. I drew a sample yesterday, 5 days into fermentation, to look and smell, and everything actually seemed pretty good except for a strong alcohol smell.
Typically, more yeast is generally better, and it is hard to over pitch, but it does happen. What does your recipe look like and how much did you pitch?

It could be possible that the colder temps in the garage halted fermentation, but if it didn't pick back up when after you brought it inside than it could very well have completed. Fermentations that complete in 24 hours are not unheard of. It could also very well still be fermenting. Just because you do not see activity in the airlock does not mean a thing. You can either just let it sit for another two weeks to be sure or you can take a reading. If the SG is at where it is supposed to be, then it is done. If it is not, check it again in a few days to see if it dropped. If it did not drop since the first reading, you have a stuck fermentation.

It is possible the rapid increase in temp caused the yeast to "go on strike".

If your fermentation is stuck you have to pitch more yeast. You can try adding some yeast nutrient, but I'd go with more yeast.

Adding "too much" brown sugar: If you added too much sugar, you will get a more alcoholic, but drier, beer. I wouldn't worry too much about the excess molasses flavor.

Now onto the big concern: strong alcohol smell...If you can smell alcohol in beer then you probably produced higher alcohols, aka fusel alcohols. Basically, other alcohols in addition to ethanol. You don't want to drink those unless you want a headache. This occurs from over-pitching, fermenting at too high of temps, and just generally from the yeast going into overdrive. It also occurs from contamination. How sanitary were you?

Posting the recipe and your process is really the only way to diagnose the problem. If the beer has finished fermenting and tastes fine, you can try drinking some and see what happens (headache or not). If you get a headache, I would dump it.

Did you taste the sample?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages