Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 05:11 PM

72 posts, read 40,653 times

Advertisements

I've been brewing since the late 80's with ups and downs of interest. The past five or so years my spark has come from debunking the dogma and brewing as fast as I can. I now only brew 2.5 gallon batches and from start to clean finish take under two hours and my beer is as good as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 04:32 AM

3 posts, read 1,927 times
So many funny stories ^^

Old 11-07-2021, 09:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
What happened to this thread? Not much activity.

Anyways, I am looking into forced carbonation and something to ease the pain of bottling a 5 gallons batch (cleaning 50+ bottles, filling, capping, etc.) as well as the ability to take it to parties. Don't need a full keg but maybe a 1.5 gallon mini-keg. Anyone go that route?
I also have some 2L palla growlers on order, these supposedly can handle the pressure of bottle conditioning.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:25 AM

380 posts, read 164,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Anyways, I am looking into forced carbonation and something to ease the pain of bottling a 5 gallons batch (cleaning 50+ bottles, filling, capping, etc.) as well as the ability to take it to parties. Don't need a full keg but maybe a 1.5 gallon mini-keg. Anyone go that route?
I also have some 2L palla growlers on order, these supposedly can handle the pressure of bottle conditioning.
I used to bottle for first few years and it was quite tedious. Kegging is the way to go and spunding is the way to go for carbonation. Basically transfer your fermenting wort with some remaining fermentables to keg and allow to naturally carbonate but you do have to monitor your FG and transfer at right time. If you miss the transfer window then you can always add sugar or other fermentables when you transfer finished wort to keg. These two methods will also mitigate oxidation as the beer will pick up oxygen during transfer from fermenter to keg, which will quickly degrade your beer quality, as the yeast will use the oxygen during spunding ie. natural carbonation. Works great as the beer will remain fresh for a long time if done correctly.

You can transfer beer from keg to growlers for parties by using numerous homemade or commercial devices. I rarely even have to connect my CO2 tank to serve from keg if spunding is done correctly.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:40 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Have heard home brewing is a dying hobby and a lot of the stores have closed that sold the supplies.

I used to do it but with all of the craft beers out there now why bother?

Old 11-27-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Have heard home brewing is a dying hobby and a lot of the stores have closed that sold the supplies.

I used to do it but with all of the craft beers out there now why bother?
Most of the craft beer out there is poorly done and an oxidized mess loaded with hops to mask poor brewing processes. It is mishandled by distributors also so it is severely degraded by the time the consumer gets it. Depending on your location you may find some good local options available but a lot of us don't have good options except mass produced craft beers, which suck for the most part.

Also try to find a recently bottled German Lager or wheat beer in the US as most of it spent many months on a slow boat without refrigeration so it is a shell of itself. This beer is designed to be drank directly from the brewery and craft breweries in the US don't have a clue how to brew these delicate beers. The Germans know what they are doing with oxygen mitigation and processes. This is the reason I got into homebrewing as I enjoy the process and art that is required to produce these types of beers.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:34 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Homebrewed Amber Ale.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Homebrewed Amber Ale.
Looks great!! If I get time this month I have ingredients for a west coast IPA and Belgian Wit.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 14,418 times
Bump

I've brewed several styles of beer but I like the dark Munich style beer most. I use the Vierka band yeast. I have friends who brew with grains but I don't want to mess with that. Next to the dark beer the German "golden" Pilsner style is second to it. I'm not into the British Ales & IPA's but I do like the brown porters on occasion. When I home brew it is usually during the cooler months to have enough to last thru the summer.

https://www.napafermentation.com/sto...ast_-_Dry.html

For my malt source I use the Munton & Fison (UK) dark liquid malt extract along with
a two pound bag of dark DME powdered malt extract in five gallons of water. I like the pelletized Hallertau Hops for use in this recipe. (no sugar used in any of this as it conforms to the 1500 ad German Purity law "Reinhetsgebot", meaning just water, malt, hops, and yeast)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Munton-Fi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.napafermentation.com/sto...t-extract.html

It makes a beer you can get your teeth into. Yes, it is high in calories. What it isn't, is a malt flavored carbonated water that many today call beer.

The image below looks like what I brew. The head on it is thick as a meringue on a pie too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages