Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's weird to think about the different liquor laws in various places. I'm just used to CA and going wherever I want, grocery stores, Bevmo, CVS or any drug store really. Plus all the little indy places. No restrictions, no times or days, if the store is open I can buy whatever I want. What's fascinating is that I know there would be a bunch of drama and hand wringing if some of someone in these other states proposed getting rid of restrictions, or if someone wanted to place restrictions in CA. It highlights how silly some of our big controversial issues really are. Pot laws...I'm talking about you specifically.
I think that was one of the hardest things to get used to when we left Ca and moved to VA back in the covered wagon days. Still when we visit AZ, NV or CA we are amazed at the liquor right in the grocery stores and usually it is less expensive than here. (not everything)
When we lived in NO VA, many people bought their booze in DC cause it was about 25% less expensive than the govn run stores in VA, if you got stopped, coming across one of the bridges, your booze was convescated. It never happened to us, but apparently the DC cops would watch for out of state licenses on cars in the parking lot at the large liquor stores and follow them over the bridge.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I would just like to make this known. I am originally from Iowa and thought nothing of this subject until I moved away because alcohol is pretty much ubiquitous in Iowa as far as being able to buy it in any store.

Then I lived for a time in Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, and a few other places with bizarre rules like you can't buy beer until 1000 in the morning or you can't buy beer on Sunday, and numerous others.

The really most annoying one is in some locales where they can't sell liquor in grocery stores. OK so me and this other guy who had a hankering for a gin and tonic drove around for an hour looking for a liquor store, finding none. I think this was in Myrtle Beach so I know its not a dry county. Well, after an hour of driving around we finally stop at a gas station and ask "Where are the liquor stores?". He's like there's one right there. It says Package Store on the sign. Evidently Package Store = Liquor Store in South Carolina.
Seriously? You can't even handle the name "Liquor Store"? I don't get it.

Anyway, I am very glad to be back in my home state where I can purchase my wine along with my turkey burgers and coffee beans. Peace.
They're called Package Stores in New England too (or as they call it, "the Packy")

I lived in Las Vegas for two years, and out there, you can buy alcohol 24/7, 365. You can walk into a grocery store at 5 am and buy a bottle of Patron if you wish! Yes the grocery stores there DO sell hard liquor

In my hometown of Orlando, FL the earliest you can buy alcohol is 9am, the latest is 2am, 365 days a year. You can buy beer and wine, as well as pre mixed cocktails in the supermarkets. But hard liquor requires you to go to a liquor store and here in FL we aren't afraid to call it just that "Liquor Store" There is a chain of liquor stores here called ABC Liquor and some of them have drive thrus. Yeah, drive thru liquor stores

There is one rough area of Orlando where there are a bunch of ex-Wendy's restaurants that were converted into drive-thru liquor stores called "Liquor City" You know the type of neighborhood I'm talking about, you drive down the road and its gun store, liquor store, gun store, strip club, liquor store, hourly motel, gun store, gun store, etc

Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When we lived in NO VA, many people bought their booze in DC cause it was about 25% less expensive than the govn run stores in VA, if you got stopped, coming across one of the bridges, your booze was convescated. It never happened to us, but apparently the DC cops would watch for out of state licenses on cars in the parking lot at the large liquor stores and follow them over the bridge.

Nita
That's really crappy.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
I'm from the UK originally, where liquor (or "spirits" as they're called there) is available in any grocery store. Then Florida, where wine and beer is available but no liquor.

Now I'm in Louisiana where it seems you can get liquor anywhere. It's very strange stopping in gas stations in LA and seeing liquor - not even behind the counter, either. They even have drive-through daquiri dens here - I haven't taken advantage of them yet, though!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
That's really crappy.
Crappy because we bought it over the state line or crappy cause the cops would stop us?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
I'm from the UK originally, where liquor (or "spirits" as they're called there) is available in any grocery store. Then Florida, where wine and beer is available but no liquor.

Now I'm in Louisiana where it seems you can get liquor anywhere. It's very strange stopping in gas stations in LA and seeing liquor - not even behind the counter, either. They even have drive-through daquiri dens here - I haven't taken advantage of them yet, though!
Not only can you get it everywhere in LA, it is pretty cheap compared to a lot of places, at least wine is.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...the stuff is in the stores and you don't have to traipse all over the universe to get what you want.
Indeed. All of those restrictive laws just end up being a big waste of time and gas for us normals; sometimes said laws make my head hurt when I try to figure out who thought that it would be a good idea to only allow purchases of a product at certain times of the day/week.

Freeeedooooom!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
I think that was one of the hardest things to get used to when we left Ca and moved to VA back in the covered wagon days. Still when we visit AZ, NV or CA we are amazed at the liquor right in the grocery stores and usually it is less expensive than here. (not everything)

Nita
I can understand why VA cops would do this (a way to prevent loss of tax revenue to VA), but why would DC cops even care? Wonder how many DC cops live in VA, or MD.

You would think that there were more serious crimes (plus why is it a crime) that needed their attention, unless their liquor cabinet was running low.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
They even have drive-through daquiri dens here
Awesome!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Crappy because we bought it over the state line or crappy cause the cops would stop us?
Oh the cops waiting for you of course!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages