Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
^^^ rotflmao
Why do I drink my wine out of a wine glass? 'cuz that's what it's called I guess!
As per cost and breakage, we buy the cheapest we can find at Pier One and then if they get broken, oh well.
We have a few crystal ones from Poland our daughter brought us when she was living there, but basically our favorites are either a set we got at a garage sale or WalMart. When we moved from Dallas to Albuquerque our moving van got stolen, before the movers left Dallas. Everything we owned, 43 years of marriage was gone, so we started from scratch. My wine glasses came first, I went to WalMart, got 8 that I thought were really pretty nice. That was 11 years ago, not one has been broken and they are the ones I use 90% of the time. Hubby prefers the green ones, we got at the garage sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,015,227 times
My dad, his dad, and HIS dad (the men from Italy) drank wine in those smaller, stocky style juice glasses. We now lovingly call them the "the grandpa glass" when we use them. I have stemware and I've take the Riedel companies wine glass class (yup..they have one) so I know about the differences and reasons and all that. I even have a couple different style fancy glasses for when I'm feel pretensious..haha..but I use a cheap set of Libby wine glass and have a couple for red, for white, for burgundy and for champagne that I use most of the time. I've also been known to drink it from a red cup.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,862,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have a few crystal ones from Poland our daughter brought us when she was living there, but basically our favorites are either a set we got at a garage sale or WalMart. When we moved from Dallas to Albuquerque our moving van got stolen, before the movers left Dallas. Everything we owned, 43 years of marriage was gone, so we started from scratch. My wine glasses came first, I went to WalMart, got 8 that I thought were really pretty nice. That was 11 years ago, not one has been broken and they are the ones I use 90% of the time. Hubby prefers the green ones, we got at the garage sale.
That's horrible!!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
That's horrible!!
It was pretty awful, but on the positive side, we were the only couple approaching the 50 year marriage mark that still had lists of things they wanted for Christmas...

Actually the worst part was losing things like our kids baby pics, our family Bible with the only family tree anyone had, our wedding pics, my mom and grandmas crystal and all the memorabilia from the days my husband worked for a particular Pres in DC.

Just look at it this way, we have all the modern conveniences in the kitchen cause we had to replace so much and Wal Mart, just in kitchen stuff made about $3,000 on us in one weekend. That was just the starter,

Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,659,909 times
I don't find anything pretentious about drinking something in the manner it is best to be enjoyed... That said I don't drink whisky from a tumbler either. Reasons for glass shapes have already been discussed, and there exist much more diversity for all different types of wine. This brings me to your thoughts on France. At simple restaurants here, or cheaper wine bars, you generally always receive a generic white or generic red glass, and in my experience here this carries over into the home when it is a particularly cheap wine. I'm not sure what you mean by "juice glass" though. I googled it and some of the glasses were bowl shaped and with a stem, and if this is the case then by all means go for it.

Your thoughts that it is pretentious though is still interesting to me. It wouldn't really fit if you're by yourself or with your family though, so I assume you mean with guests. If this is the case, aside from parties with young people where I've had wine from a plastic cup, all of the French families I have spent time with would use the proper glasses. In fact, despite being potential just fine with your idea in private, they would probably view it as rude to the guests to not use proper glasses, and I share this sentiment.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,300,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "juice glass" though. I googled it and some of the glasses were bowl shaped and with a stem, and if this is the case then by all means go for it.
I suppose the term should have been defined earlier, since it's not a term everyone uses.

Basically it's just a small drinking glass, typically about 5 oz. in capacity. Straight sided tumblers are common, but some have a foot, or are bowled in shape, or have facets on the sides. In other words, not stemware. In everyday drinking glass sets for the dining table, they're normally the smallest glass in the group.

In short, a small, ordinary glass.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:31 AM

15 posts, read 18,978 times
I will drink wine out of a paper cup if its called for, but I would much rather drink from the glass.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,213,585 times
I don't bother with a wine glass anymore as they always seem to get broken (maybe I should have just bought better quality ones but meh) so now I use Nordic Wool thermal cups (so the wine doesn't warm up from my hand as the thermal quality that is designed to keep things warm also keeps things cool) Nordic Wool thermo cup from Menu by Pernille Vea Looking at the price they seem a bit pretentious too but I got a box of 6 brand new ones at a flea market

Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
When I was a kid, my Italian Sicilian family drank their wine out of juice glasses because they viewed their wine as an everyday experience with the common wine that was available. Many remember prohibition and were happy to have any jug. Also, wine was was consider a food as a necessity to go with other foods. That was not wrong, it was that which was done.

Wine glasses? getoutta here--nobody used those.

I still enjoy my basic jug wines out of a juice glass because it is the experience I want to remember. Of course, today with fine wines, I have all the best glassware to use but that little juice glass or even better the jelly jar, from my college days, still beckons...

Now, I also believe that some good real cheap wine is best drunk out of the bottle, in a paper bag, under a bridge--yea, Ripple...Thunderbird...Ya, hava a problem with Dat...

It is the experience and the memory that counts not the glass...

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages