Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times

Advertisements

Since we wine drinkers here often mention how we drink a glass (or two or three or four, etc. etc.) I was just curious what do you consider a "glass?" I don't know how many ounces my glasses hold, but I consider a "glass" to be 1/4 of a 750 ml bottle. In other words, if my hubby and I split a bottle of wine, that is 2 glasses each. My usual consumption is 2 glasses per night, usually not less, sometimes a little bit more. I drink lighter wines however. So tell me - what size is YOUR glass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM

878 posts, read 2,738,366 times
About 5 ounces. I think of a bottle as five gasses.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
For standard calculations, a 750ml bottle = 23.36 oz., just shy of 5 standard 5 oz. wine glass pours.

Splitting a bottle into 4 portions gives you nearly 6 oz. each, a little longer than standard, but not uncommon. In a restaurant setting you'd get the same amount, but in several short pours of 2-3 oz. each to top up before the glass is empty.

However you like to do it is fine, as long as you don't fill an 8 or 10 oz balloon glass to the top. It's meant to be only partly filled, so the big open space above can capture the fine aromas for your nose to enjoy.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Since we wine drinkers here often mention how we drink a glass (or two or three or four, etc. etc.) I was just curious what do you consider a "glass?" I don't know how many ounces my glasses hold, but I consider a "glass" to be 1/4 of a 750 ml bottle. In other words, if my hubby and I split a bottle of wine, that is 2 glasses each. My usual consumption is 2 glasses per night, usually not less, sometimes a little bit more. I drink lighter wines however. So tell me - what size is YOUR glass?
We do about the same, but I usually drink 3 glasses; hubby alwasy two and yes, if we split a bottle, it is 2 glasses each, with a little left over for me, of course. What amazed me is taking 2 or 3 different wine glasses out of the cupboard, putting them side by side, seeing how they look about the same and then measuring them. One might be 8 oz and another 6, still another 10 or more. That is why drinking boxed wine can be so dangerous: you fill the glass, you think another one or two it ok, but that glass might hold 10 or 12 oz.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
For standard calculations, a 750ml bottle = 23.36 oz., just shy of 5 standard 5 oz. wine glass pours.

Splitting a bottle into 4 portions gives you nearly 6 oz. each, a little longer than standard, but not uncommon. In a restaurant setting you'd get the same amount, but in several short pours of 2-3 oz. each to top up before the glass is empty.

However you like to do it is fine, as long as you don't fill an 8 or 10 oz balloon glass to the top. It's meant to be only partly filled, so the big open space above can capture the fine aromas for your nose to enjoy.
Good information as to why the glasses are so much larger than the amount the server gives you. I have always wondered about that.

Another lesson learned by an old lady.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We do about the same, but I usually drink 3 glasses; hubby alwasy two and yes, if we split a bottle, it is 2 glasses each, with a little left over for me, of course. What amazed me is taking 2 or 3 different wine glasses out of the cupboard, putting them side by side, seeing how they look about the same and then measuring them. One might be 8 oz and another 6, still another 10 or more. That is why drinking boxed wine can be so dangerous: you fill the glass, you think another one or two it ok, but that glass might hold 10 or 12 oz.
Heh - lately I've been drinking about 3 glasses per night. Just depends on my mood and what I'm drinking. That box wine would be VERY dangerous for me - I keep track of how much I have drank by what's left in the bottle!

OpenD - thanks for the info. I love those big balloon glasses (no, I don't fill them to the top )

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Heh - lately I've been drinking about 3 glasses per night. Just depends on my mood and what I'm drinking. That box wine would be VERY dangerous for me - I keep track of how much I have drank by what's left in the bottle!

OpenD - thanks for the info. I love those big balloon glasses (no, I don't fill them to the top )
stick with the bottle: I promise, it is much safer...

Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
That box wine would be VERY dangerous for me - I keep track of how much I have drank by what's left in the bottle!
As a former bartender, and advocate for the full enjoyment of responsible drinking, yes I think everyone should learn to keep track of what they are drinking and self-moderate. And knowing how much is going into your glass is an important element of that.

For liquor use of a shot glass or j!gger (it's a stainless steel standard bar measure - don't know why it won't let me type that word) to measure the drink is a simple technique. So why not do the same with wine from a wine box? Get a 5 oz. juice glass and use it to measure the wine into the wine glass. Or you could even use a glass kitchen measuring cup. After a while you should be able to what a serving in the wineglass looks like.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
Haha, about 1/4 of a Carlo Rossi jug of wine/night. No, seriously, somedays I just pour a few glasses from the 4L jug til I feel I had too much. My stomach lets me know if I get hungry or had too much.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,890,349 times
Quote:

Ditto. AGAIN!! I figure a bottle should last me three days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages