Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times

Advertisements

I just thought this would be fun, after the response I just made about wines under $15.00.

The worst was a box of red we got in Texas many years ago. I opened it, we had a glass,didn't like the taste: in fact it was obviously spoiled. So I let it sit on the sink until I could return it the next day. Well, what made it so bad? The damn box leaked that night, my brand new $40 tennis shoes, which were left on the floor (my fault) were soaked in red wine, and ruined. of courrse the store replaced the wine but not my shoes.

The best deal: about a year ago we got Woodbridge, 1.5 liter bottles on sale (if you bought 6 or more) for $7.00 a bottle. A couple of months ago, after a wine tasting at our favorite liqour and wine store they put one of the wines on sale, marked down, form $8.79 a bottle to $3.49. I can't remember what it was but my daughter put me onto it. I only bought 1 bottle because I wanted to make sure we liked it: stupid me, of course when we wanted more, it was too late: allllll gooonnne!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 AM

17,486 posts, read 38,946,080 times
Well, worst deal for me was several years ago when we were staying in our vacation home (don't have that anymore, by the way) I bought several bottles of Barefoot wine which were on sale (different varieties). I tasted each one, and poured each down the drain, something I NEVER do (almost never, lol!) Won't make that mistake again. Don't mean to offend anyone who likes Barefoot, I just did not.

Best deals I have gotten were from Walgreens of all places. Twice I have scored some really excellent, vintage Chardonnay - the best deal was Rosenblum Vintner's Cuvee Chard. - 2007 vintage and was 3 for $10! I cleaned them out, which ended up being about 9 bottles or so. Watch for those sales at the drugstores!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM

24,214 posts, read 13,067,832 times
Worst deal: Bought a bottle of ~$35 tempranillo from Temecula, CA. I won't list the winery. Was badly corked when I got home.

Best deal: Any time my sister, who works at a CA winery, sends me something free. Also Texas Hills 2005 Kick Butt Cab, a steal at $10 at a store in Lubbock. Big-time award winner.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, worst deal for me was several years ago when we were staying in our vacation home (don't have that anymore, by the way) I bought several bottles of Barefoot wine which were on sale (different varieties). I tasted each one, and poured each down the drain, something I NEVER do (almost never, lol!) Won't make that mistake again. Don't mean to offend anyone who likes Barefoot, I just did not.

Best deals I have gotten were from Walgreens of all places. Twice I have scored some really excellent, vintage Chardonnay - the best deal was Rosenblum Vintner's Cuvee Chard. - 2007 vintage and was 3 for $10! I cleaned them out, which ended up being about 9 bottles or so. Watch for those sales at the drugstores!
your experience with Barefoot brought back another story: years ago and I mean years (probably 35 or so) I bought a bottle or two of Sherry. In those days I loved a glass or so before dinner (that was when a glass to me was about 4 oz) Anyway, my dad was in town, he stopped by for dinner and we preceeded to drink both bottles I think. Whatever we sure thought it was good. Daddy had me go back to that store and get him a dozen bottles the following day. I think they were about $2 a bottle at the most. Long story short, when he got back to No Ca and open another bottle, he realized the great SHerry was only great when he was drunk. Sober, it was awful. I believe that was about the time I stopped drinking Sherry.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM

22,198 posts, read 29,233,672 times
Fish Eye pinot grigio for $4 a bottle..Yea!!

Also, when a total wine had just opened in Jacksonville their Santa Margharita was on sale super cheap so I bought a case!!

No bad stories as of yet

Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,191,916 times
Best Deal: 16 bottles of Eroica Riesling for ~$10/bottle (sells for $20+ everywhere else around here). Target clearance!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Fish Eye pinot grigio for $4 a bottle..Yea!!

Also, when a total wine had just opened in Jacksonville their Santa Margharita was on sale super cheap so I bought a case!!

No bad stories as of yet
sounds like a winner to me.

Nita

Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,868,792 times
I found a bottle of Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc, which I dearly love but usually don't buy because it's $16-17/bottle, at a grocery store near my mother's house for $13. I bought it, and am enjoying it still.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I found a bottle of Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc, which I dearly love but usually don't buy because it's $16-17/bottle, at a grocery store near my mother's house for $13. I bought it, and am enjoying it still.
so you are enjoying it still: when did you buy it, yesterday or this morning?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 PM

605 posts, read 1,051,396 times
Best deal was in northern Spain, where we found a local vineyard selling an excellent Rioja for less than $1/bottle. We packed every spare space in the car with it for our drive back to England.

Couldn't tell you what the worst deal has been. Probably some overpriced plonk in an Italian restaurant somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages