Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
I'm more a wine drinker, but I prefer a Highlands scotch...Glenmorangie, with water, as the Scots do.
I have a friend who loves Ardbeg. EEK.. To me it's like licking ashtrays, so peaty!
Never saw Glenfiddich or Johnnie Walker on any bar the whole time I was in Scotland.
Most likely because you didn't ask for it or couldn't afford it. Last pubcrawl I did in Edinburgh in the mid 1990's is when I developed a taste of the Johnny Blue and Fiddich.

Both are the most expensive production Scotch whisky you can buy. Now if you have 10k you can get a 50year Glenfiddich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
Johnnie Blue is the perfect example of price not always equaling quality. I've had it several times, last one was at a Johnnie tasting in Sherman Oaks, CA, nothing about it has ever stood out to a degree where I could fathom spending $200.00 plus on a blend. There are better Scotches that cost more - and better Scotches that cost less. I could spend more on a Macallan 25 and it's definitely better, or less on an artisan Whiskey like Compass Box Hedonism, and that's better too IMO. Heck, I'd even take a Sprinbank 10 over Johnnie Blue. This isn't anything negative towards Johnnie Walker, it's just that some brands taste better, some of those brands come from Johnnie Walker themselves (I prefer the Gold and Green to the Blue as well).

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
^^ I agree somewhat. I was underwhelmed on JW blue.

I don't mind Dimple, 15 years.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
I recently tried Dalwhinnie for the first time. Maybe it's just me, but I found it to be a rather boring whisky. I know people that love it though.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 AM

49 posts, read 57,001 times
I love scotch! I have a bottle of the Laphroaig pictured. Great stuff. Although, if you don't like strong flavors you best proceed with caution. I think diluting it 2 to 1 with water is too much. Maybe 1 to 1 but just start off slow and and a bit more until you like it. My buddy loves it undiluted.

Yes, the glencairn glass is the best for drinking whiskey, actually most spirits.

I have not had the blue label JW but I have heard its overpriced. I do agree the green label is very good, RIP.

My favorites:

Sheep dip 1990 old hebridean (not the regular one). I think its discontinued but if you can find a bottle, wow! This is a vatted malt. They took three single malts (ardbeg, fettercain and dalmore I believe) that were around 20-25 years old and then married them in fresh casks for about 15 more years, crazy! The end result is really outstanding and a great value for the money. I think I paid $70. Try buying a 40 or even a 20 year old whiskey for that.

The laphroaig 10 cask strength. A Peat monster.

Aberlour A'bundah. Spicy, sherry and cask strength...yum.

Bruichladdie Laddie. Creme brullee, butterscotch, some spice, very nice.

Bunnahbain 12. Thick, a bit smokey, a little sweet, nicely balanced.

I dont care much for the Glenlivet 12. It's too boring for me. It like scotch on training wheels.

The glemorangie is a bit better but a little too floral with not enough spice for my taste.

I'm glad it will soon be Friday night, I'm thirsty!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 57,001 times
Also, older scotch is not always better, even though I raved about the 30+ year old sheep dip. The aberlour a'bundah is young but great(7, 8 years old I think). While the glenlivet 12 is older but boring. I also just went too a tasting and had the Bunnahbain 12 which I enjoyed more than the 18 and more than the Deanston 30 year old (same master distiller).

Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezedriedromeo View Post
This is a vatted malt. They took three single malts (ardbeg, fettercain and dalmore I believe) that were around 20-25 years old and then married them in fresh casks for about 15 more years, crazy!
I thought the term "vatted malt" was quite useful, as a way of distinguishing a whisky that was blended from malts only, from what had always been called a "blended" whisky, in which grain spirits were added. It was part of my stock in trade as a bartender to tell customers about the little details like that.

Imagine my surprise when the Scotch government banned the term "vatted malt" three years ago and replaced it with the term "blended malt."
"In the case of Scotch whisky, blended malts do not contain any whisky made from grains other than barley or spirits distilled using continuous distillation, unlike products labelled as "blended whisky."

For the Scotch whisky industry, the terms vatted malt or pure malt have been reclassified as blended malts under the Scotch Whisky Regulations of 2009, and it has become unlawful to label Scotch Whisky using the prior terminology."
Blended malt whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I'm a purest.
I don't want my scotch blended

A single malt scotch for me.
All I want is water, barley and yeast. thanks.

Under the terminology established by the SWR 2009, a "Blended Malt Scotch Whisky" is a mixture of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies, not a mixture of malted barley whisky and non-barley whisky. The term "blended malt" was previously called a "vatted malt" under the prior labelling conventions.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I thought the term "vatted malt" was quite useful, as a way of distinguishing a whisky that was blended from malts only, from what had always been called a "blended" whisky, in which grain spirits were added. It was part of my stock in trade as a bartender to tell customers about the little details like that.

Imagine my surprise when the Scotch government banned the term "vatted malt" three years ago and replaced it with the term "blended malt."

They've been battling this for so long, unfortunately, the SMWS has such pull that they can get away with this nonsense. Putting a vatted malt like Compass Box in the same class as something like Johnnie Walker is a travesty, they are clearly in two different classes. The powers that be think differently though, as far as I'm concerned, I'll never recognize them as being in the same class, it's ridiculous.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezedriedromeo View Post
Also, older scotch is not always better, even though I raved about the 30+ year old sheep dip. The aberlour a'bundah is young but great(7, 8 years old I think). While the glenlivet 12 is older but boring. I also just went too a tasting and had the Bunnahbain 12 which I enjoyed more than the 18 and more than the Deanston 30 year old (same master distiller).
That Bunna 12 is so fruity, I had to look at the label to make sure I was drinking an Islay. Good stuff, just different. I haven't had the Deanston 30, just the 12 year, which wasn't bad, just more earthy, which I guess is a good thing since that distillery is supposedly self sustained. I'll always give them props for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages