Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
More and more craft brews are coming out in cans. I think it's a marketing gimmick to appeal to the hipsters and Gen-Yers who've made cans "legit" again. Actually there was a beer blog that compared craft ales from cans versus the same brews from bottles and they concluded that cans tasted better & poured a better head.
Smoke's, my worry is, BPA, BPA, BPA in these cans, no?

I'd love cans - to save $ too - but worry the beer leaches the BPA out of cans. Anyone confirm any beer maker that is BPA-can free? If so, I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'd love cans - to save $ too - but worry the beer leaches the BPA out of cans. Anyone confirm any beer maker that is BPA-can free? If so, I'm there.
All food and beverage cans on the market have resin liners which contain tiny amounts of BPA. Tests show that only a tiny part, out of this tiny amount, winds up in the food or drink.

How tiny?:
"Stated another way, an average adult consumer would have to ingest more than 230 kilograms (or about 500 pounds) of canned food and beverages every day for an entire lifetime to exceed the safe level of BPA set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency."
Epoxy Resin Can Coatings: Bisphenol A Safety

There are a lot of things worth worrying about. This is not one of them.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Yes, I'd much rather drink my beer out of an impermeable glass bottle that won't leach chemicals into my beverage than out of a BPA-lined can.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, I'd much rather drink my beer out of an impermeable glass bottle that won't leach chemicals into my beverage than out of a BPA-lined can.
Like your characterization, I find this particular "scare" to be hugely overblown. Most cans of all description use the same lining, and most restaurants used canned ingredients, so to be consistent you'd also have to totally eliminate canned goods and restaurant meals from your lifestyle, and I just don't see most people doing that. Nor do i see any reason to.

Yes, getting the BPA out of baby bottles made sense, because their BPA content was so much higher and because infants are affected by it more easily. Over time I'm sure it will be eliminated completely as can linings are reformulated.

But since I would have to consume 500 pounds of food and drink a day from cans in order to exceed safe levels, it's just not a real problem in my world.

Last edited by OpenD; 08-19-2012 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I've never had a good Belgian beer. It's overrated swill, IMHO.

I never understood how these silly beer snobs would turn their nose up at Molson Canadian and then turn to the bartender and order Stella Artois. Really? Is Stella Artois not a mass produced lager as well (i.e. the "Molson Canadian of Belgium")???

As for the can vs. bottle debate, I don't care what my beer comes in as long as its not green bottles. Skunky beer is nasty (although it seems the Dutch enjoy it that way!).
You can't say Belgian Beers are crap and then mention Stella. That's like saying there is no good food in America and citing the existence of McDonald's as proof. Also there are nearly 20 different styles of beer in Belgium resulting in hundreds and hundreds of different products. I assume you have had at least 5-10 of each style to come to your conclusion?

Anyway, as a craft brewer, I am all for the surge in canned brews. There are quite a few good canned beers in Colorado and New Mexico.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You can't say Belgian Beers are crap and then mention Stella. That's like saying there is no good food in America and citing the existence of McDonald's as proof.
lol!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A wise man once said, “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” If that’s really true, why can’t beer drinkers across the world be just as happy consuming their favorite brand from a can as a bottle?

I was reminded of this great debate during a July 4th barbeque at my house when a perplexed younger neighbor pulled a chilled can of (imported) beer from the cooler and asked the following:

“Do you…um…like…have anything I can pour this in?”

Bottle Or Can? The Great Beer Debate Rages On - Forbes
NEITHER, when I do have a beer (or other alcohol) which is every few years if that often it is ONLY on tap obviously not the other alcohol on tap but you should get my point.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You can't say Belgian Beers are crap and then mention Stella. That's like saying there is no good food in America and citing the existence of McDonald's as proof. Also there are nearly 20 different styles of beer in Belgium resulting in hundreds and hundreds of different products. I assume you have had at least 5-10 of each style to come to your conclusion?

Anyway, as a craft brewer, I am all for the surge in canned brews. There are quite a few good canned beers in Colorado and New Mexico.
I agree, on several counts. There are many good Belgium beers. There even brews labeled as "Belgian Wheat," etc. Saying Belgian beers are bad is a blanket indictment against hundreds of different flavors.

On the other hand, my 60+ years of life experiences has taught me that avoiding McDonald's is almost universally a wise choice.

From this home brewer comes another perspective. I bottle my beer. I like it in bottles. A bottle filler and a capper cost less than $20. I can't imagine what I would have to spend to be able to can my beer.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
From this home brewer comes another perspective. I bottle my beer. I like it in bottles. A bottle filler and a capper cost less than $20. I can't imagine what I would have to spend to be able to can my beer.
True, and until a relatively short time ago... in beer years... canning was out of the reach of all but the biggest brewers. But a breakthrough in canning technology brought the cost of the equipment way down, and then craft brewers started working with co-ops and canning services, so canning is gaining some traction because of all the aforementioned desirable attributes of a can over a bottle... lower weight and more compact storage, hence lower shipping costs; superior protection against light; longer shelf life with fresher taste; faster to chill; no broken glass danger, etc.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Greg, from cats to booze, you do it ALL!

Just joking, but you're right, screw caps, though cheesy sounding, are better than corks as air can't filter thru a screw cap as it can a cork.
Screw caps are still very much up for debate, and it isn't just people being biased against the cap's perceived "cheese factor"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages