Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times

Advertisements

Actually, that is a matter of opinion.

I have had absinthe both ways (with and without flame) and while I agree that its not a necessary part of the ritual, I disagree that it ruins the taste. Its usually doused with some sort of liquer or brandy, but I really can't say that I thought it better one way or the other. As for a "burnt sugar note", I have not experienced that, even without soaking the sugar cube in alcohol.

Absinthe is an acquired taste, a special occasion sort of drink. I don't know anyone who drinks it with the frequency of say, scotch. But its fun, and can be quite tasty. Its worth a try, if done correctly.

Anne Rice responsible for re-igntiing interest? I doubt it. I've never once read an Anne Rice novel, but I was curious due to its "illegal" status for so many years. If you are a goth kid, I guess Anne Rice holds some sway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Yeah, I never read Ann Rice either, but I've read a lot of other literary references to absinthe and going "mad." There are also a lot of famous 19th century paintings with absinthe references, since at the time it was an "outsider's" drink.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Nearly 100 million Anne Rice novels have been sold, and she has influenced all kinds of fashion trends that played out across multiple social strata along the way, as well as paving the way for the current trendy Twilight series. She had a lot to do with a resurgence in interest in all things N'awlins, one of which was the arcane art of absinthe sipping.

You may not taste the burnt sugar taste from burning the sugar, but I do, and I prefer my alcohol reaching my mouth rather than flaring off in blue flames. And since it is not an authentic practice, merely a modern gimmick, I see no plausible excuse for doing it.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Nearly 100 million Anne Rice novels have been sold, and she has influenced all kinds of fashion trends that played out across multiple social strata along the way, as well as paving the way for the current trendy Twilight series. She had a lot to do with a resurgence in interest in all things N'awlins, one of which was the arcane art of absinthe sipping.

You may not taste the burnt sugar taste from burning the sugar, but I do, and I prefer my alcohol reaching my mouth rather than flaring off in blue flames. And since it is not an authentic practice, merely a modern gimmick, I see no plausible excuse for doing it.

Not to be picky, but please don't use "N'awlins". We (people who live here) don't like it at all.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM

223 posts, read 246,491 times
Cool an absinthe spat! Well I will try it one day. I do like anise flavor a lot so it may be up my alley. Thanks for the comments.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Please do. Its a fun drink.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Not to be picky, but please don't use "N'awlins". We (people who live here) don't like it at all.
My apologies. No offense meant in any way whatsoever. New Orleans is one of my favorite places on Earth.

Matter of fact, I'm very jealous of my friend who just tweeted about what a good time she's having there right now.

Here, let me treat you to a Sazerac. Or would you rather have a Hurricane?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM

223 posts, read 246,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Hey, it can't be that bad. You even have a N'awlins world famous emporium.
World's Famous N'awlins Cafe' & Spice Emporium Home Page
Actually there's a lot of businesses with N'awlins in the name. Just google it. Maybe it's just one of those cliches that the locals are sick of.

Anyways back to Absinthe.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I've had it. I knew someone who made absinthe with an old recipe, a bunch of herbs and wormwood. Flavor-wise it's no big deal if you're neutral on anise, a big deal if you hate it. The flaming sugar cube ritual is fun, though.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Actually there's a lot of businesses with N'awlins in the name. Just google it. Maybe it's just one of those cliches that the locals are sick of.
Psttt. Elfy... Ixnay on the Awlinsnay. If you look a little closer, all those bidnesses but two are in other places, like Chicago.

Look what Urban Dictionary has to say about it: "The first sign that you are a tourist is if you pronounce New Orleans as N'awlins. Locals actually pronounce the city name as New Awlins. People from other cities hear N'awlins because of the way locals drag out and connect their words. Most locals actually hate hearing people say N'awlins or New Or-Leans."

So, got it? We spoze to say New Awlins. Learn something every day!

Now, help me spread the word:
Setting the absinthe sugar cube on fire is not authentic. It's a bogus trick for the tourists.

Maybe it's some kinda revenge on the tourists for saying N'Awlins, because all it does is waste perfectly good booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages