Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 15,495 times

Advertisements

I love my fellow Americans. So direct and unpretentious in terms of paying for overly priced wine. Give me a nice white Pouilly Fuisse and that would be a nice treat.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM

304 posts, read 1,016,661 times
I probably have bought a handful of $40 - $60 wines in my life, and tasted wines close to $100 a bottle.

Almost all of these were bought at the vineyard and I have found that when you taste lets say a 2-year old $25 cabernet and then their $50 reserve that is a few years older, you can usually appreciate the difference...whether it is worth the premium price is entirely up to you. But I feel as though without the direct taste comparison, most casual wine drinkers would have a tough time noting "cheap" and expensive wine (myself included!).

Most wines I buy are in the $10 - $25 range and I am happy that good wine I like is relatively inexpensive

I will say the absolute best wine I ever had was at this small family restaurant in Florence...it was the house red wine, I believe a Sangiovese, and it was GLORIOUS. Best part was it was only 1 euro a glass! I seriously regret not asking to buy a few bottles to take back home

Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,792,076 times
I used to collect wine.

1995 Hospice de Cuvee Dame Hospitaliers Cote Beaune. A Burgundy from France. Have two. Never tasted it. Current average price is $150. I paid $70

1988 Disznoko Aszu Six Puttonyos Hegyalja. A Tokay from Hungary. Had three bottles. Gifted one. Drank one. Current average price about $200. I paid $40. It was nice tokay. But I only drank one other type of tokay to compare.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM

24,107 posts, read 10,427,317 times
69 Chateau Neuf du Pape
Not worth the trouble

Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDODSON View Post
Nope, most wine drinkers are idiots. Studies have been done with blind taste test's involving modestly priced boxed wine, and more expensive bottles and these experienced wine drinkers could not tell the difference. Buy what you like in your price range, it doesnt get better. Anyone that says it does is a liar
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I'll start pouring the contents of my cellar down the drain shortly. I'll be sure to call all the wineries I've visited & let them know as well.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,695,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDODSON View Post
Nope, most wine drinkers are idiots. Studies have been done with blind taste test's involving modestly priced boxed wine, and more expensive bottles and these experienced wine drinkers could not tell the difference. Buy what you like in your price range, it doesnt get better. Anyone that says it does is a liar
Agreed to an extent. I can definitely tell the difference between a boxed wine and a regular oak stored wine. I will agree though, I have had some expensive wines compare badly to the 8 dollar bottles. There is great wine out there though, but I would never pay more than 20$ for a bottle. To me the best a wine is going to get will be 20 bucks or less. The 30-250 dollar bottles are just placebos for people with excess cash floating around.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I'll start pouring the contents of my cellar down the drain shortly. I'll be sure to call all the wineries I've visited & let them know as well.
This is merely on taste, if you compare how a wine is made, well that is what you are truly paying for. Short supply and longer production times = higher prices. Does that mean all that high cost wine is bad? No, hell no, but what others have stated here, those higher priced wines sometimes rate under the cheaper more plentiful wines in the market.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
This is merely on taste, if you compare how a wine is made, well that is what you are truly paying for. Short supply and longer production times = higher prices. Does that mean all that high cost wine is bad? No, hell no, but what others have stated here, those higher priced wines sometimes rate under the cheaper more plentiful wines in the market.
I agree with you. My response was to the poster who proclaimed most wine drinkers "idiots".

Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I agree with you. My response was to the poster who proclaimed most wine drinkers "idiots".
I will say that 'wine experts' are definitely snobs and are often put in their place by themselves, but obviously most wine drinkers aren't snobs or idiots.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 AM

15 posts, read 39,591 times
Most expensive wines I tried:
White: Langenlois Riesling - from Loimer, Austria, cca 200 Eur.

Red: Nero Imperiale - from Domaine Poti, Hungary, cca 140 Eur.

Worth to try both once in a while, however you can find very nice rieslings in Germany already from 25-30 Eur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages