Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,243,899 times

Advertisements

Craft brewers have livened up the beer world and they make some delicious beers, but man, they are super annoying little babies. All I hear lately out of craft brewers is whining. I understand why the Brewers Association whining, as craft brewers pay them to whine, but it is annoying.

I think complaining in an interview is one thing, as someone is asking you to complain, but to issue a media report crying is another thing.

Sorry for the rant, I am a little fed up.

Craft Brewers Threatened by Big Beer Brands - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM

41,923 posts, read 75,075,470 times
I thought it was the other way around: The big producers are afraid of the small brewers and losing market share. Who knew?

This puzzled me:

Quote:
Craft brewers, however, are increasingly worried about how the world’s two largest beer companies are attempting to counter their growth by making beers that appear to be craft products—like MillerCoors’s Blue Moon and AB InBev’s Shock Top—with no indication on their labels that they’re produced by large multinational corporations.
Boy, that is whining.

Isn't that the case with just about every product? How many people know that the Star-Kist brand -- once owned by Heinz and Del Monte -- is owned by something called DongWon Industries? Or that Heinz owns Ore-Ida potatoes? Progresso soups are made by General Mills? Etc.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM

19,675 posts, read 20,185,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

This puzzled me:
Quote:
Craft brewers, however, are increasingly worried about how the world’s two largest beer companies are attempting to counter their growth by making beers that appear to be craft products—like MillerCoors’s Blue Moon and AB InBev’s Shock Top—with no indication on their labels that they’re produced by large multinational corporations.

We got duped by some Henry Weinhard IPA crap. "Appeared" to be decent- was not decent at all,, and is in fact owned by Miller-Coors.

We whined about it... after tasting it!

Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,243,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
We got duped by some Henry Weinhard IPA crap. "Appeared" to be decent- was not decent at all,, and is in fact owned by Miller-Coors.

We whined about it... after tasting it!

You didn't like it? I thought it was good for a low IBU inexpensive IPA. Pretty sessionable to me, but definitely not to be compared against a bigger IPA like Zombie Dust or something like that...although, I don't think they would compare themselves to that, either.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,784,035 times
They are whining a little, but they do have cause for concern in regards to the big two controlling the distribution channels.

I think all parties should concentrate on making a great product, instead of engaging in distribution battles in trying to gain market share.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,220,261 times
I'd whine too if it dealt with my livelihood. Craft brewers are constantly kicked out of prime shelf space and big brewers use illegal tactics to push craft taps out and have bars put macro on. In Texas, the wholesaler's association or whatever they're called contributed to 2 bills that would benefit craft beer being "forgotten" in the state senate but passed in the house. They have the money to hire lawyers to argue against these bills that would help create jobs and a better business environment for craft brewers.

Craft or crafty? Consumers deserve to know the truth : Stltoday

Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM

881 posts, read 2,089,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I'd whine too if it dealt with my livelihood.
Whining @ the "big guy" is as old a tactic as well, the first time Nog complained that Og & Slog were hurting his stone caveman wheel business.
That chart is funny - who determined that 6 M Bbl is the cutoff? Who determined that owning any percentage of another firm is "ownership"?
Yeah, it's whining, and yeah, it's funny. Keep up the brewing, m'k? (OT: what's up w/the hops thing? Why must beer be so freaking bitter? I see hipster types screwing their lips together after a swig & loudly trying to convince each other that's the way to go...)

Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,220,261 times
That's odd considering hipsters tend to drink retro swill like PBR. Not all craft beer is super hoppy. Keep the ignorant comments coming, please.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM

881 posts, read 2,089,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
That's odd considering hipsters tend to drink retro swill like PBR. Not all craft beer is super hoppy. Keep the ignorant comments coming, please.
WT??? Did you even read my post? Oh, I see, you didn't. Or couldn't.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,396,208 times
The really big news is the explosion of "nanobreweries," which most people agree refers to systems that run batches of 3 barrels or less. They could be even more disruptive than "craft brewers" because they're too small for AnMilCor to effectively compete with. I think you'll see more and more bars and restaurants serving a house draft, brewed on-premises or just around the corner. That offers a value proposition which is unique.

As to bitterness, IPAs are supposed to be very hoppy, so if that isn't your taste, order a less hoppy style. Simple, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages