Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 PM

16,471 posts, read 19,505,415 times

Advertisements

Really?
I am pretty sure the OP is looking for some SPECIFIC Wines. Not "Malbec" or "Merlot".
I bet he knows all the different types of reds.
Props to Jake Ryan who apparently understood the question.
I really like Coppolla's wines as well as the Menage a Trois vineyard for reds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,507,591 times
Get yourself a mid-priced Chateauneuf du Pape.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really?
I am pretty sure the OP is looking for some SPECIFIC Wines. Not "Malbec" or "Merlot".
not necessarily: If he asked about brands or you think that is what he was asking, he may not know much about wines period. Most of us, if we know much about wine and know the different kinds also know which ones are our favorite...I guess while you are telling us what the OP wanted and we are trying to figure out what he wanted, he can come back and let us know what was on his mind...

Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM

37,055 posts, read 42,006,001 times
I usually pick up the Coppola Malbec or Pinoit Noir whenever I'm looking for a good red wine at a decent price. Menage a Trois is also an easy wine to like at a much lower price point.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM

73 posts, read 160,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really?
Thank you for clearing that up......I guess I should have. lol

Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,804,349 times
I'm a huge red zinfandel fan (not that crappy pink stuff). Red zin is usually dry, earthy, and had some spice to it, like cloves and black pepper. It's even been described as "bacony." Great with a bloody steak or a hearty cheese.
I LOVE this very inexpensive red zin called "Plungerhead."

The Other Guys, Inc. - Wines - Plungerhead

It's actually pretty good, and complex tasting for the price. I'm no wine expert, but even I could taste several "layers" of flavor. I think here in my area it's only like $11.99-$13.99 a bottle. Plus, the winemaker ("The Other Guys") has a patented plastic stopper called the "zork." It's more effective than a real cork, a synthetic cork or a screw-top, and it's kind of fun to open. My cats also enjoy the spirally thing as a toy.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM

126,149 posts, read 18,891,885 times
My favorite red wine is 2011 Shiraz Cabernet .
Lively, playful red wine with spicy blackberry, plum and peppery flavours. Great with just about every dish

Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,248,575 times
I drink mostly French reds.

Affordable (Beaujolais varietals): A nice Moulin-a-Vent, Morgon, or Julienas. (look for Louis Jadot, Charles DeBoeuf, or Joseph Drouhin). Also, any nice Medoc.

Pricey/ Fantasy: Premier Cru Nuits-St. George or Pomerol. A ten-year-old Pauillac.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM

112 posts, read 307,188 times
I just got a bottle of Coppola Merlot for $8.99. It was on sale at my local grocery store and there was a coupon on the bottle. My absolute fave is the Coppola Malbec but at $17.99 a bottle is out of my price range for wine with dinner. Now I want to have a glass of wine!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,647,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Get yourself a mid-priced Chateauneuf du Pape.
This is the best advice in this thread, IMO.

I'm a big Zinfandel fan (not that sugary "white zinfandel" crap). Malbecs have been getting a lot of play in our house the last few years. Pinots are a great red wine starter. Good cabs will always be around.

It's hard to suggest a brand/vintner because so much of it is regional now and there are thousands of wine makers just in this country alone. Price also comes into play.

We have downed over 800 bottles of wine (including champagne) in the last eight years (been saving the corks) and my advice to you is:

1. Go to some tastings and see what you like. If you like something, drink it, regardless of what the "experts" and "critics" says.

2. Don't buy wines based on price alone. There are many factors that go into the price of a wine and quality is not always at the top. I have had $40 bottles that blow away some $400 bottles I've had.

3. Try everything. Don't pass up a drink because you think you don't like that style. Have an open mind and try it all. Some of it will suck, but you will be surprised at how many wines you end up buying that you thought you would hate.

4. Wine ALWAYS makes a great gift.

Most of all...drink up and enjoy! You are lucky enough to be able to splurge on a luxury like wine and not everyone is so fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages