Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 AM

759 posts, read 1,355,554 times

Advertisements

I liked beer from the first time I tried it-my father was a Beck's drinker even back in the '60's. Finally snuck a bottle as a teenager and have been a Bremen Pilsner fan ever since.
It sounds like you enjoy very sweet drinks. Beer is not, should not, be sweet.
Some of the items you mentioned (Hard lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, assorted coolers) are, technically, flavored, sweetened malt liquor, a kind of beer. Wine coolers, often have no wine at all, and are simply fruit juice or artificial flavoring boozed up with neutral grain spirits, or once again, malt liquor.
There are literally hundreds of different beer styles made with thousands of different recipes. Their flavors, aromas, textures, colors, levels of carbonation, alcohol content, and bitterness range widely. You may have to sample many different styles to find one you enjoy. Experiment with beer styles that are alternatively described as "hoppy", "yeasty", "malty", "dry", "sweet", or "fruity."
And remember, not everybody likes beer. My mother didn't, but oddly enough she said she liked Scotch from the first taste-Dewar's and Water, two ice cubes, tall glass, yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM

82 posts, read 153,290 times
What's so appealing about beer? Everything!!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,302,996 times
Quote:
This brings me to beer. Working in retail, it seems to me that beer is the most insanely popular alcoholic drink, period. Judging by the sheer amount that I've sold alone, beer seems to be the official body fuel of the South. A friend of mine swears "God created beer". I tried a few of them: a domestic (the very popular Bud Light Platinum), a Mexican (Corona), a Bud Light Lime, some dark ales and lagers, and a higher-priced (and smaller-sized, compared to the Buds and Corona) Scottish beer.

I couldn't drink more than a few sips of each before pouring the rest down the drain. I tried to like them. I really did. The problem is they all, well, have "that beer taste".

Am I missing something here? What is it about beer that makes it so appealing? Also, are there any recommendations for atypical beers to try out that I might enjoy?
In reality, it's the only alcoholic drink I enjoy and sometimes ONLY drink I want to have . I can tolerate red wine with dinner, but beer is my go to drink. i absolutely hate hard liquor.

As for beer, It's cheap, refreshing and portable. I guees that's why all of our tastes vary. I have friends and family who despise beer, but prefer mixed drinks, wine, etc.

I will say I don't like Belgians, wheat beers, etc. Good 'old lagers and some IPAs.

Overall, beer is considered unassuming, and non-pretentious and that's why I think it appeals to a wider audience, especially working folks, sportsmen, etc.

Last edited by Gil3; 01-02-2013 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,302,996 times
Quote:
Beer is an acquired taste.
A taste I had no trouble acquiring, lol

Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,282,887 times
I love beer. I drink lots of different kinds and can usually recommend something someone else would like, even if they say they don't like beer. If it's bitterness you don't like, try a Belgian Lambic or other light Belgian beer. Unibroue's Ephemere is a good pick for you, but it's a little on the spendy side. There are also some Leinenkugel's summer beers you might like. Try their Summer Shandy or Berry Weiss. Either of those are going to be over-the-top sweet for most beer drinkers on any but the hottest summer day, but would make a good transition to beer for someone used to wine coolers and so on. I also second Shock Top as being sweet enough for a non-beer drinker.

If you give it a real try and don't find anything you can stand, then just drink what you already like. I have a neighbor who genuinely can't tell the difference between very different beers. He just doesn't like it.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM

13 posts, read 22,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
A Belgian white ale is a good style that's generally low in bitterness. This is a wheat-based beer which is another way to look. The big mass produced Belgian white is Blue Moon (Coors)
Haha, I recently tried that. I didn't care for it, but I might give it a second chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
or you can try Shock Top (AB)
Yeah, I've seen that around. I'll try that.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,509 times
Default To me

Nothing

Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,618,415 times
I think it's a guy thing and men (especially under-30 dudes) love the alcohol more than the taste, at least when it comes to the big mass-market brands. And unlike hard liquor, beers are carbonated so they quench your thirst when it's hot. OTOH craft brews are a whole category on to its own and appeal to ppl who like savory, spicy & herbal flavors, regardless of gender.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,413,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
And unlike hard liquor, beers are carbonated so they quench your thirst when it's hot.
Carbonation, some, but the bitterness of beer contributes a lot of the thirst-quenching ability, plus serving it ice-cold. It's the same mouth-feel experience that makes gin and tonic such a popular drink during the summer.

Before all the post-WWII brewery consolidation in this country, pilsener was a dominant and popular beer style, and pilsener is an ideal style for hot weather activities, such as watching ball games. It is described as a light, crisp lager with distinct hoppiness. And it's showing some signs of coming back, with several craft breweries leading the way as people reacquaint themselves with its superior taste quenching ability.

All the very distinctive regional styles basically got averaged out by the rise of the Anheiser/Miller/Coors juggernauts, which are totally marketing driven. If InBev wants to increase sales of Bud Lite, they just crank up their computer projections to see how much more money they need to spend on marketing to sell the additional units of brew. And their customers are buying image and alcohol, primarily, not taste.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,167,962 times
TC I'm with you.

Recently tried to start drinking in my 30s. Beer tastes awful to me. I will say a surprising number of my friends have said they didn't like it when they started, but that after a year or so I'd get used to the taste. Based on all this I suspect a large number of people drink beer because it is the most visible and easiest kind of alcohol for kids to get so folks drinking before 21 or in high school get exposed to it a lot. As they're young and trying to look cool by drinking they keep at it for months until they do start to like it. As someone starting later in in life and being less swayed by public opinion you're willing to say it tastes bad which some 15 year old probably wouldn't. Not saying everyone here has forced themselves to like the taste of beer, but my anecdotal evidence seems to suggest a large number of my friends did.

I will second the guy who recommended apple cider. It tastes like apple juice with an alcohol bite at the end. Most mid-scale and upscale bars have it. More should in the future as its popularity is growing, and it is a significantly higher margined product than beer.

Other than that I've also found that I dislike the taste of red wine and the liquors with taste. Vodka and champagne I can drink at least when mixed with fruit juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages