Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times

Advertisements

People tastes change over time. I liked whiskey a little when I was young but when youre trying to educate yourself to alcohols with a bunch of frat boys you ain't going to get too far. But as time went on and my sophistication (relatively) grew, I learned to really like whiskies. Actually, I'm at a point in the last year or so that I love them.

Rye at first was a bit too strong for me. I enjoyed it but its flavors were something I had to slowly acclimate myself too. But as time has gone on I've enjoyed it more and more.

You are really spoiled for choice now with ryes. At a whiskey tasting at a local bar I met the creator of Whistle Pig rye. He was a colorful fellow as you might expect from someone who names their rye Whistle Pig. And the rye is outstanding too. Fruity, spicey and very potent stuff but very drinkable too. It's 100% rye which, as he explained to me, is quite difficult to make. To be called rye a rye needs to be made with only 51% rye grain, I believe. The difficulty with making a 100% rye whiskey is that usually you need to add some malted barley for the enzymes to convert the sugars to alcohol. I guess he found a way around this by adding to enzymes somehow to the rye. It was an interesting conversation. You can google it and see more.

I also had some templeton rye. Good stuff too. A little sweet and smooth with a moderate spiciness. I guess it was Al Capone's favorite, according to the representative. It's made in Iowa I think. Not as expensive as whistle pig but not as good either. Still pretty good though.

Wild turkey rye. Cheaper still. Pretty good stuff too.

High West makes some great ryes. I had the rendezous rye. Excellent quality stuff.

I suggest looking at the whiskey advocates buying guide. They give you a great database to see where whiskies rate. It's good for trying new things and narrowing it down to your price range.

http://www.whiskyadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp

Another tip is that when youre buying whiskey check the alcohol percentage. The higher the alcohol the more flavor. Often whiskies, especially cheaper priced ones are bottled at 40% abv. Which just means the distiller took the whisky from the barrel and watered it down to 40%. So if you find higher proof stuff youre getting it in a more concentrated form and you can water it down yourself, or not.

One last tip is use the right glassware. I bought a glencairn glass which is made specifically for whiskey. I love it. Half the pleasure for me is nosing the whiskey and this glass is perfect for that. Anyways happy drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM

67 posts, read 242,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
The only two I've really tried are Bulleit and Redemption Rye. Both are very good.
I like these two as well. Also try High West Double Rye. Good spicy flavors, but pricey at $38 (in Indiana).

There is a Knob Creek Rye, but I wasn't very impressed. It seemed unbalanced and had some unpleasant bite and finish.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Rittenhouse rye is a very good rye and a really good value at about $20.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD357 View Post
I like these two as well. Also try High West Double Rye. Good spicy flavors, but pricey at $38 (in Indiana).
I'll see if I can get it.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM

109 posts, read 278,703 times
Any brand of canadian is a blend of everthing include'n the kitchen sink... there is a Kentucky rye called Buffalo (something) I've tried and at 125 prf its got a kick but it comes from the George Washington days of real rye at 51%.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 369963 View Post
Any brand of canadian is a blend of everthing include'n the kitchen sink... there is a Kentucky rye called Buffalo (something) I've tried and at 125 prf its got a kick but it comes from the George Washington days of real rye at 51%.
Maybe Buffalo Trace? But that is a bourbon. Although most bourbons are made with rye, some with wheat.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I enjoy the Bulleit on occasion. Had the Beam rye and liked Bulleit better.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD357 View Post

There is a Knob Creek Rye, but I wasn't very impressed. It seemed unbalanced and had some unpleasant bite and finish.
I also tried the Knob creek rye and wasnt terribly impressed either.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I also tried the Knob creek rye and wasnt terribly impressed either.
I'm not too impressed by jim beam's whiskies. Maybe I just haven't found one that really floats my boat yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages