Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,143,413 times

Advertisements

Any point in me trying this stuff? Any kinds you like?

Also I remember as a kid back in the 80s seeing a 40 that had a I believe a blue bull on the label. Does anyone know the name of this malt liquor? It has been bugging me recently for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,286,374 times
Schlitz malt liquor. They had a commercial where the bull would be running around busting things up.

Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull - YouTube

At least around here it was popular in more diverse neighborhoods. It is cheap and strong, you could get a good buzz off it. In college, it was a popular cheap buzz. Available in 40 oz... hold the bag.

Not too bad but will kick your butt: Mickey's, glass stubby bottles with a bee logo on there.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
Ehh, I bought Colt 45 awhile back for nostalgia's sake, and it was pretty bad. Once you drink beer with flavor, it's tough to go back.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,353,133 times
I drink Mickey 40s quite often. Better than bud imho.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,943,308 times
Molson makes one called Brador. I don't think you can buy it in US and it's been years since I've had any, but back in the 80s we used to smuggle in a case or two whenever we were driving to Canada. Much more drinkable than any US malt liquor I've ever had. 6% ABV.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,048,876 times
Its cheap hooch. One step above a bottle of Thunderbird while hopping freight trains. Its not meant to enjoy, its meant to eliminate sobriety.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,254,343 times
LOL 40oz malt liquor.

I used to drink it in highschool. I probably couldnt drink it now if I wanted, well...maybe.

Some that I have tried are:

Steel Reserve- will have you buzzing by the time you get to the label, pretty strong and very heavy tasting. Must drink cold and fast.

Private Stock- I actually got into this stuff as a joke a couple years ago, not too bad. Heavy tasting and got me feeling pretty nice after just one.

King Cobra- My favorite malt, Like Bud but stronger, made by A-B also. I havent had it in years but I enjoyed it, not half bad until you get sick of it.

Mickeys- Cant seem to find any on the east coast but I drank it when I was in Cali and I really enjoyed it. The caps have riddles on them I think. Ive been trying to find some around where I live but I just cant...???

Malt beer aside, I still buy Bud 40s. They have a certain taste and its easier for me to have one bottle rather than multiple before going out. I also enjoy Black Label beer in the 40oz, I can drink like 3 of them this beer is really good. havent had it in a couple years now.

I mainly drink just Bud now.

Oh I forgot to mention, When I was in highschool doing all kinds of beer research I cam across a website, it served me well and has a ton of info. Check it out for all your malt beverage needs!

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/tv.html

Also, If you only drink occasionally or drink regular beer, you may be disgusted in malt liquor. I wouldnt mix it with any other alcohol either.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 AM

3,805 posts, read 9,283,870 times
It depends on where you live. In Texas, Stella Artois and Wiestephaner, and other high-end beers that are also (relatively) higher ABV beers are labeled as Malt Liquor. Not sure if other states have this law. I believe it is about to change.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,048,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
LOL 40oz malt liquor.

I used to drink it in highschool. I probably couldnt drink it now if I wanted, well...maybe.

Some that I have tried are:

Steel Reserve- will have you buzzing by the time you get to the label, pretty strong and very heavy tasting. Must drink cold and fast.

Private Stock- I actually got into this stuff as a joke a couple years ago, not too bad. Heavy tasting and got me feeling pretty nice after just one.

King Cobra- My favorite malt, Like Bud but stronger, made by A-B also. I havent had it in years but I enjoyed it, not half bad until you get sick of it.

Mickeys- Cant seem to find any on the east coast but I drank it when I was in Cali and I really enjoyed it. The caps have riddles on them I think. Ive been trying to find some around where I live but I just cant...???

Malt beer aside, I still buy Bud 40s. They have a certain taste and its easier for me to have one bottle rather than multiple before going out. I also enjoy Black Label beer in the 40oz, I can drink like 3 of them this beer is really good. havent had it in a couple years now.

I mainly drink just Bud now.

Oh I forgot to mention, When I was in highschool doing all kinds of beer research I cam across a website, it served me well and has a ton of info. Check it out for all your malt beverage needs!

40ozMaltLiquor.com – 40ozMaltLiquorTV

Also, If you only drink occasionally or drink regular beer, you may be disgusted in malt liquor. I wouldnt mix it with any other alcohol either.
Years ago I drank Steel reserve, Turned into puke city and not from a large amount. Ugh.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,226,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
It depends on where you live. In Texas, Stella Artois and Wiestephaner, and other high-end beers that are also (relatively) higher ABV beers are labeled as Malt Liquor. Not sure if other states have this law. I believe it is about to change.
Yeah, Texas has it s own labeling laws, pretty screwy. I would choose Mickey's over Stella, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages