Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times

Advertisements

Well, since I started this thread when Whiskey Advocate started naming their picks for whiskies of the year last February, I thought it would be good to alert whiskeyphiles that they are releasing their current annual awards right now. So far:

Craft whiskey: Few Spirits Rye, 46.5%, $60 (a local Chicago distillery for me)

American Whiskey: Four Roses 2013 Limited Edition Small Batch, 51.5%, $85

Canadian Whiskey: Wiser’s Legacy, 45%, C$50

Irish Whiskey: Redbreast 21 year old, 46%, $180

They still have a few more awards to go including distiller of the year. They are announcing one a day. Hopefully a couple of these cross my lips at some point.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:20 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
It's good to have a guy that looks out for you. What's a good cigar to pair with a PVW 15? I'm not so knowledgeable on the cigar front. What cigar is Pappy himself smoking on the Label? A fine Cuban? It would be interesting to know what Pappy's go to cigar was when he was sipping some of his own bourbon. I guess I'll have to read the book.
I don't know much about Cuban cigars, just don't have a lot of experience with them. I tend to prefer a full bodied Maduro wrapped cigar, one with a complex flavor profile. Now I've found with the "hotter" Bourbon's a cigar a with a more mild sweeter profile works the best. I think the PVW 15 is sort of hot, maybe give a "My Uzi Weighs a Ton " a try. It is a Drew Estate made cigar. It's not infused or anything it just has a sweet note to it.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:32 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
i like crown royal.... on the rocks..

show me the way, to the next whiskey bar.....oh, dont ask why...

Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i like crown royal.... on the rocks..

show me the way, to the next whiskey bar.....oh, dont ask why...
You ever try those ice stones you can buy so the ice doesn't melt and dilute it?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
You ever try those ice stones you can buy so the ice doesn't melt and dilute it?
Here's a few things I see wrong with the idea...

1) Good whiskey often needs a splash of water to open up the flavor, but there should be no ice at all to dull it down.

2) Ever tip a glass up to get a last drop of beverage out, and had an ice cube slide down and knock you in the teeth? No fun, was it? Now imagine the same thing happening with a ROCK!

3) Did I mention not putting ice in whiskey?

4) Also, chilling whiskey dulls the taste.

Other than that I think it's a waste of good money that could be spent on whiskey.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
The over chilling thing applies to craft beer as well.

My girlfriend was in town this weekend and she brought me a bottle of Woodinville Whiskey from Woodinville, WA. PRetty good stuff. Very strong. I still prefer the Fremont Mischief 8 year but hey, it is pretty good.

My current bar has:
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Bulleit Rye
- Fremont Mischief 8 Year
- Woodinville
- Wild Turkey 101
- Willett Family Reserve

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
The over chilling thing applies to craft beer as well.

My girlfriend was in town this weekend and she brought me a bottle of Woodinville Whiskey from Woodinville, WA. PRetty good stuff. Very strong. I still prefer the Fremont Mischief 8 year but hey, it is pretty good.

My current bar has:
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Bulleit Rye
- Fremont Mischief 8 Year
- Woodinville
- Wild Turkey 101
- Willett Family Reserve
Willett is one I've been wanting to try. Tried the Bulleit Rye, and discovered Rye's are not my thing.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Willett is one I've been wanting to try. Tried the Bulleit Rye, and discovered Rye's are not my thing.
Willett is good stuff. Comes in a nice pot still looking bottle too. I actually went to the distillery a couple years ago. Real nice little place. I got a bung as a souvenir...impressive. I was actually at the bourbon festival and the day before I went their there was a whiskey auction in downtown Bardstown. Some fairly young guy kept bidding on these pre-prohibition era whiskies and winning them. Some were only half full bottles too and he was paying several hundred dollars for each. Obviously, I was wondering who that guy was. Next day I go to Willett for a tour and the same guy that bought all those bottles is sticking them in the display case at Willett. Turns out he was one of the owners. Nice guy. I should've asked for a sample. That's my Willett story.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I suppose if you wanted ice cold whiskey you could just stick the bottle in the freezer. It is a bit unnerving to think about that though. I think if you were in a hot climate though then the stones might be useful. Although in the summertime I sometimes just stick the glass in the fridge to cool it off a little if its hot out. I don't know what the perfect temperature is to drink whiskey. Obviously that's a personal preference. But probably somewhere around 60 degrees would be best to enjoy all it has to offer.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Willett is good stuff. Comes in a nice pot still looking bottle too. I actually went to the distillery a couple years ago. Real nice little place. I got a bung as a souvenir...impressive. I was actually at the bourbon festival and the day before I went their there was a whiskey auction in downtown Bardstown. Some fairly young guy kept bidding on these pre-prohibition era whiskies and winning them. Some were only half full bottles too and he was paying several hundred dollars for each. Obviously, I was wondering who that guy was. Next day I go to Willett for a tour and the same guy that bought all those bottles is sticking them in the display case at Willett. Turns out he was one of the owners. Nice guy. I should've asked for a sample. That's my Willett story.
Great story ! Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
I suppose if you wanted ice cold whiskey you could just stick the bottle in the freezer. It is a bit unnerving to think about that though. I think if you were in a hot climate though then the stones might be useful. Although in the summertime I sometimes just stick the glass in the fridge to cool it off a little if its hot out. I don't know what the perfect temperature is to drink whiskey. Obviously that's a personal preference. But probably somewhere around 60 degrees would be best to enjoy all it has to offer.
Funny thing is in the summer my palate must change or something. Bourbon and Port are my winter drinks while Rum and Margarita's are my summer ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages