Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
I love a homemade whiskey sour!

Me too. Whiskey Sour is one of my go to cocktails as the seasons change (for me it's Gin & Tonic in the summer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
We just got back from Scotland, and it's definitely true that there was no real benefit, pricewise, to making our whisky purchases there, for the most part (even in the duty free). We did end up bringing back an expression of Jura not available here, though.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 AM

837 posts, read 960,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We just got back from Scotland, and it's definitely true that there was no real benefit, pricewise, to making our whisky purchases there, for the most part (even in the duty free). We did end up bringing back an expression of Jura not available here, though.
My dream vacation is Scotland! I hope it was beautiful and that the weather held up for your trip. Did you get to tour the Isle's distillery?

I've never tried Jura and should put it on my list. I haven't been feeling adventurous lately, which means picking up my usual Macallan 12 at the liquor shop.

Anyone order sample flights from Master of Malt before?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
For those of you that are interested in great whiskies (and who wouldn't be reading this forum ) Whiskey Advocate is releasing the results of their 21st annual whiskey awards right now. It's always fun to see what they pick even if most of it will remain a mystery to my palate.

Blog - Whisky Advocate

A few interesting picks so far are the Canadian, craft and American whiskies of the year:

Canadian Club Chairman’s Select 100% Rye, 40%, $27
"is a glorious all-rye whisky and more than just another line extension. This whisky arrived with a rye-filled bang, loud enough to shake up the industry. For the first time in over a century, a mainstream brand has bottled an all rye-grain Canadian whisky. Finally, whisky lovers have been heard. With its robust, fruity spiciness, and limber balancing act befitting a chainsaw juggler, Canadian Club 100% Rye declares that when Canadian whisky is writ larger and louder, it remains Canadian whisky."

Too bad it's not available in the US yet. 27 bucks is a great deal. Also, having once talked to the master distiller of Whistle Pig Rye, which is also a 100% rye whiskey, it seems that making a 100% rye is a bit complicated because rye lacks certain enzymes needed for fermentation. That's why they usually add malted barley to provide those enzymes (so I've been told).

St. George Single Malt Lot 14, 43%, $80

"The St. George Spirits (Alameda, California) single malt releases have been on my short list for this award for the past three years, but this year’s stood out. The bottlings—the “Lots”— before were good, but I felt that they had integration problems; too much of one flavor, uneven transitions. The whiskeys that went into this Lot—eight different casks, 4 to 15 years old—don’t argue or mumble, they all sing in balanced choral harmony. There’s an overture, a beautiful middle section that recapitulates and enhances the overture, and a hauntingly teasing finale that brings it all to a circling completion."

It's nice to see single malts coming out of the US too. No reason the Scots should have a monopoly on the market. I have a small bottle of their absinthe which I bought to make the original cocktail, the sazerac. It is excellent too so I can imagine they do a great job with some of their other offerings.

Sazerac Rye 18 year old, 45%, $80

"There were many great American whiskeys released this year, including Booker’s 25th Anniversary release, Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch, and George T. Stagg. However, the winner this year is Sazerac Rye 18 year old.
It’s not just because it’s a classic—I rated it a 95—but it’s also because of its consistently high quality, year after year. That, to me, is this year’s tie-breaker. Limited edition whiskeys change from year to year. Since Sazerac Rye 18 year old was first introduced in 2000, its quality has been stellar and unwavering."

Rye seems to be on fire of late. I haven't had this but I did get a bottle of it's little brother version, the 6 year old Sazerac rye (it was my "booby" prize for not getting to my local liquor store in time to get a bottle of the annual Van Winkle release). Very nice stuff and makes a great sazerac cocktail.

Here's the rest of the awards for those that want to be in the know:
December 5: Craft Whiskey of the Year
December 6: American Whiskey of the Year
December 7: Canadian Whisky of the Year
December 8: Irish Whiskey of the Year
December 9: Japanese Whisky of the Year
December 10: World Whisky of the Year
December 11: Blended/Blended Malt Whisky of the Year
December 12: Speyside Single Malt of the Year
December 13: Islay Single Malt of the Year
December 14: Highland/Islands Single Malt of the Year
December 15: Lowlands/Campbeltown Single Malt of the Year
December 16: Lifetime Achievement Awards
December 17: Distiller of the Year

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 12-09-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Interesting, I def. pay less here in France than I ever did in the US... Just finished the "Foires aux Whiskies" (sale period) as well!

"Duty free" prices here in Paris are a joke though...

Old 12-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Interesting, I def. pay less here in France than I ever did in the US... Just finished the "Foires aux Whiskies" (sale period) as well!

"Duty free" prices here in Paris are a joke though...
Typically duty free is not such a great deal. At least you can find some unusual bottlings though.

When I was in France a few months ago I didn't think the prices for French booze were all that great. Maybe it was just the exchange rate but the bottles of armagnac that I was looking at were the same if not a bit more than here. Of course, that was only at a couple boutique shops that probably charged a bit more. Carrefour had some good deals though.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:59 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I've visited the Jack Daniels distillery. It's a nice tour but it's a bit out of the way. The weirdest part of the tour is that the distillery is in a dry county...no samples! You do get a whiskey flavored chocolate at the end though.

I use to like Jack but it's just to harsh and rough for me now. I guess it would be good as a mixer but I don't know anybody that drinks it neat.

I suggest checking out bardstown kentucky. A beautiful town with lots of distilleries to tour and tons of SAMPLES! I did enjoy that bit.
I understand that you can now buy JD at the distillery shop

MrsM and I are going back to the KY Bourbon Trail this weekend. Let's see what new goodies I can taste and buy

Old 12-11-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I understand that you can now buy JD at the distillery shop

MrsM and I are going back to the KY Bourbon Trail this weekend. Let's see what new goodies I can taste and buy
I see you're aiming for that free T-shirt . Taking that trail makes me appreciate that old saying, "it's the journey not the destination." It's a great little journey too. Which ones are you hitting up?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I see you're aiming for that free T-shirt . Taking that trail makes me appreciate that old saying, "it's the journey not the destination." It's a great little journey too. Which ones are you hitting up?
Tee shirts are a dime a dozen. But the Trail is great!

We went to Town Branch in Lexington. Great bourbon and wonderful beer, Bourbon Barrel Ale and Stout (Beer aged in freshly emptied bourbon kegs)

Then Woodford Reserve (bought a very nice Double Oaked Bourbon), Wild Turkey and Four Roses. MrsM bought American Honey Wild Turkey liquor)

All we need for the "shirts" are the distilleries in Louisville.

Sunday we started the Kentucky Craft Bourbon Trail in Lexington at the Barrel House Distilling Co,. A truly tiny distillery that still hasn't aged a barrel long enough to bottle their first bourbon. They do have a great vodka and a very nice dark moonshine

I'll post a pic of their still. Looks like the still that produced the shine I bought while in college

Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 PM

Attached Thumbnails
Whiskey!-yc5a9088-medium-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages