Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

I'm not big on blended Scotch, but over the holidays I had the opportunity to try Famous Grouse and it was surprisingly good.

The Famous Grouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
I love scotch, single malt, blended, I don't care. It's my new passion. My favorites would be in the Macallan line, but I love a wide variety. From a blended like Johnny Walker Black up to a Glenlivet 18. I can have one dram of Oban or sip a Mclelland's Islay all night. Love scotch!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'm not big on blended Scotch, but over the holidays I had the opportunity to try Famous Grouse and it was surprisingly good.

The Famous Grouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My MIL brought back their peated special version, The Black Grouse, and gave it to us for Christmas.

Not really sure why it's sideways, it wasn't in the preview...
Attached Thumbnails
Whiskey!-20150108_111747.jpg  

Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
So it's like 4F degrees outside and I just got in from running a couple of hours of errands... what better time to crack open a bottle I bought in NY over Christmas: Wasmund's Rye Spirits.

I'm not entirely sure I knew what I was buying. I've had Wigle Whisky Rye mash since they're based here in Pittsburgh. I guess I figured it would be something like that. Oh no. 124 proof. Smells like Mezcal and the taste reminds me of some small batch local tequilas I had when living in Mexico. Interesting as it's smoked but unaged. I have no idea how to use it yet - I drank it straight for the first glass, but it's, um... quite a mouthful.

But I must say, it did warm me up quickly!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Jameson is my preferred.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
So it's like 4F degrees outside and I just got in from running a couple of hours of errands... what better time to crack open a bottle I bought in NY over Christmas: Wasmund's Rye Spirits.

I'm not entirely sure I knew what I was buying. I've had Wigle Whisky Rye mash since they're based here in Pittsburgh. I guess I figured it would be something like that. Oh no. 124 proof. Smells like Mezcal and the taste reminds me of some small batch local tequilas I had when living in Mexico. Interesting as it's smoked but unaged. I have no idea how to use it yet - I drank it straight for the first glass, but it's, um... quite a mouthful.

But I must say, it did warm me up quickly!
I've seen this at my local liquor emporium and was always curious about it since they often sold along a small barrel to age it in. It might be fun too try that but then again I'd rather have my instant gratification with a bottle of something I know is good now.

Interestingly, the review states that rye is the most expensive grain to distill. I wasn't aware of that. I just assumed that it was malted barley, considering how much more a decent single malt costs over it's bourbon equivalent. Granted, not all bourbon has tons of rye...or even any. I'm thirsty now.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 PM

296 posts, read 644,781 times
Default Just had my favorite whiskey

I just bought a bottle of 1792, supposedly hand picked for the liqour store I bought it at for 23.99, Great whiskey, smooth but still a bourbon taste, nice hang around smokey, vanilla, oak taste, I drank the cheapies, such as early time, evan williams, etc.. never been much of a bourbon/whiskey drinker, but I did like Crown, but I think this definately takes the title for me, 1792 for best whiskey.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:49 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I have been a scotch drinker for 35 years or so. Actually Perfect Rob Roy's, on the rocks with a twist or just on the rocks. I prefer the blended ones with a bit of a bite. Been drinking a few single malts but not overly impressed. I like Johnny Walker Red, but not particularly the Black. My go to cheap scotch is House of Stuart. My go to 86 proof is Duggan's Dew. My go to more costly blend is Famous Grouse.

My favorite Irish Whisky is Powers. As I like something that has a bit of a bite, Jameson's is to mild tasting for my taste.

During the winter, I carry Fireball in my golf bag. Usually knock that off when the temps reach 70*.

If it does not bite a bit, you might as well drink sissy drinks. Like Spiced Rum and Coke.....LOL

Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 PM

49 posts, read 52,294 times
Getting down to the bottom of my bottle of WT101 in a hurry. I love a generous pour after shoveling snow. Warms me right up. When it snows, it pours!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I understand a good Scotch whiskey for beginners that complain of both the "burn" and "peatiness" of most Highland Scotches is the Lowland Scotch called Auchentoshan Three Wood. They say is has a character of toffee and rich candied fruit and it's exceptionally smooth. I don't know, I haven't tried it yet (it's expensive, over $50 a bottle). They say it also is very complex in flavor and experts give it high marks. Any opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I had it once at a whiskey bar I frequent. It wasn't really my cup of tea or scotch. It had a lot of thick, syrupy, fruity, sweet, flavors going on. It's quite a sherry monster but it covered up the true nature of the malt, imho. That being said, the bar tender recommended it to me as one of her favorites. I think if you like sweet cocktails and are not big on more medicinal or spicy flavors then it might be to your liking. Personally, if I want a good sherried scotch, I'll grab a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh. That's some amazing stuff and cask strength to boot.
I tried one that I rather liked, that had the sweet and fruity vibe going, but not cloying or too excessive:

Glenmorangie Lasanta.

It's finished off in sherry casks, and gets good reviews. It smooth and reminds me a wee bit of Drambuie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages